ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Adventureollie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Problem with my adv 990 :(

Hello
I've got a adventure 990 2007
Ive only had the bike for about 4 months .
If I leave the bike for about 3-4 days when I come to start the bike there is not enough power to start it . and it will just start making the clicking noise and doing the clock cycle . Even if I charge the bike with a trickle charger it's still is dead in about 4 days time . But fires up straight away if I try it straight from being charged . Once the bike is running it will start straight up untill it's left again .
The bike has a meta alarm on and I'm thinking this could be the problem ? And the battery was replaced before i Bought the bike could the battery be a dud ?
Any help would be much appreciated

Ollie
Adventureollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 391
Battery

The big vtwin needs a ton of juice to start. My guess is it needs a new battery. I have the same bike and it did the same thing. New battery solved the issue.

There's a ton of threads on what type to use. I've had some buddies have some problems w the lithium ion models. I went old school...

Good luck. They're killer bikes...
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Adventureollie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybikefrank View Post
The big vtwin needs a ton of juice to start. My guess is it needs a new battery. I have the same bike and it did the same thing. New battery solved the issue.

There's a ton of threads on what type to use. I've had some buddies have some problems w the lithium ion models. I went old school...

Good luck. They're killer bikes...
Thanks for the reply ! I will do some research and get a new battery on there !
Thanks for the help :)
Ollie
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
l0st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
If the battery was really replaced 4 months ago, first you should definately check if the alarm is draining the battery, like you already suspected. Bike should turn on without a problem if it has 4 months old battery and if it has been fully charged few days ago...
l0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Check the starter relay down low on the right , they are prone to corosion and this gives intermittent problems which sends electrical stuff haywire , it did mine . Lucky i had a mate who knew whats what with wires and sorted it for me.

Other wise try a LIthium Ion batt .
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Adventureollie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2 View Post
Check the starter relay down low on the right , they are prone to corosion and this gives intermittent problems which sends electrical stuff haywire , it did mine . Lucky i had a mate who knew whats what with wires and sorted it for me.

Other wise try a LIthium Ion batt .

Ok thanks ! Will check that tomorrow
Ollie
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Adventureollie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st View Post
If the battery was really replaced 4 months ago, first you should definately check if the alarm is draining the battery, like you already suspected. Bike should turn on without a problem if it has 4 months old battery and if it has been fully charged few days ago...
Thanks for the reply ! I think I'm going to take the alarm off anyway!
Will let you know how I get on !
Ollie
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have had my 990 2006 since a few months and I have had the same problem several times.

I park the bike on a small incline, so I leave it in first gear when it's parked. So, usually I start the bike in first gear, holding the clutch. Few days ago it wouldn't start, again, then I put it into neutral and it started from the first try.
Maybe there is a problem with the sensor that detects if the bike is clutched or in neutral. I'm not a mechanic, have no clue what else it can be.

But anyways, my guess is, because of the problems starting in first gear, it drains the battery fast. I concidered changing it as well. But ever since I started putting it in neutral before I start it starts from the first try.
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierS View Post
Maybe there is a problem with the sensor that detects if the bike is clutched or in neutral. I'm not a mechanic, have no clue what else it can be.

But anyways, my guess is, because of the problems starting in first gear, it drains the battery fast. I concidered changing it as well. But ever since I started putting it in neutral before I start it starts from the first try.
There is this little difference from the 950: The starter works but the motor doesn't ignite in gear with the sidestand down. It needs the sidestand to be withdrawn
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
OlivierS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
sidestand up offcourse :-)

I had that problem with a new GS 700 in driving school...
OlivierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
nashsails
Spanish Rider

Oddometer: 13
It seems that the alarm is draining your batery ..as you said, it was changed (i guess new one) when you bought it..

There are two options:

Or the battery wasnot good
Or the alarm is draining the batery

Try to disconect the alarm, charge the batery and try to turn it on after 4-5 days...if it does not turn on, it is the batery. If yes, it is the alarm :)
YAMAHA YZF600R THUNDERCAT 2002
SUZUKI GS 500 E 1994 VESPA 200 E 1992
nashsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Adventureollie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashsails View Post
It seems that the alarm is draining your batery ..as you said, it was changed (i guess new one) when you bought it..

There are two options:

Or the battery wasnot good
Or the alarm is draining the batery

Try to disconect the alarm, charge the batery and try to turn it on after 4-5 days...if it does not turn on, it is the batery. If yes, it is the alarm :)
Thanks for all your help guys ! Will disconnect the alarm this weekend !
Ollie