Fuck Loaded with a Mulekick 26 19.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2005, 07:47 AM   #136
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc
Daughter's now a sophmore at Clemson -- seems everyone there has one. Mostly Honda Metro's and Yamaha Zuma's. She's got the only Ruckus that we know of. 1,600 miles in less than a year, and only one get off -- low sided it (and got a ticket for 'too fast for conditions' )

I'm a huge fan!

I'm surprised that there aren't more college kids around here on 'em. Nice to hear that they're doing well in other areas.

I live a mile or two from NCSU, just a few blocks down from all the campus housing and rentals. It's perfect territory for a scoot--the grocery store and various strip malls that support the students, the campus, and the main street that runs through the campus is all perfect scootering territory, yet I only see 2 or 3 "regulars". (my downtown commute takes me through the college)

One of them cranked up his scoot on one of our snow days, and fishtailed his way through stranded cars to get to class. He had his feet out as outriggers and did the occasional doughnut in the snow but seemed to make it just fine. Folks were cheering.

I still think it's a mindset thing--"gotta have a car for college"--yet every year the college has to come up with some sort of plan to deal with the influx of vehicles and parking issues. Gas got up to 2.35 last weekend...maybe some kids have better jobs or allowances than I did to enable them to run their cars around.

Anyone who's ever been late to class knows the inherent beauty of being able to ride up right next to the door and park. (I had an MB-5 in college.)

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #137
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Photog,
I agree, great post! Really summed up the current situation. Why is the m/c & scooter scene so far behind in the US? I think the cheap gas has had a lot to do with it. We drive our Hummers/Excursions/F250's with nary a thought about gas mleage. Now, more recently, with the gas price hikes, we have had to pay a lot more attention to how much of our paychecks are going to fuel. I'm seeing more scooters in my area and after getting one in the family, I'm reaping the benefits of leaving my car in the driveway while errands are being run on the scoot.
Add the fact that they are so much fun and easy to ride, I'm surprised that they have been overlooked in the US so long. Must be the cruiser/ sportbike/ 4X4, macho mentality here that has caused this...
I also would like to see the advrider mindset applied to a scooter forum. Pics from adv trips on a scooter, with a GPS and bags would be awesome. I know there is a scooter Cannonball event, so having scoots in ADVrider would just continue to highlight the untapped potential scooters offer in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Great post Photog! Exactly what I've experenced and felt.

Thge stuff in quotes was brilliant!

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #138
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
I'm looking heavily at getting a Super 9 (but the Stella keeps begging me to take a look also). There aren't any forums out there that I've found that has info on the Kymco scooters, and the general scooter forums are filled with intollerable immaturity.

A forum for scooters here would be great. We'd have numerous good ride reports of people actually using and abusing them. It would make the best place for someone to confirm that scooter X can't handle your average table top like you think it would, or a stream crossing over the tires is a bad idea.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:31 AM   #139
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
I'm looking heavily at getting a Super 9 (but the Stella keeps begging me to take a look also). There aren't any forums out there that I've found that has info on the Kymco scooters, and the general scooter forums are filled with intollerable immaturity.

A forum for scooters here would be great. We'd have numerous good ride reports of people actually using and abusing them. It would make the best place for someone to confirm that scooter X can't handle your average table top like you think it would, or a stream crossing over the tires is a bad idea.
The Yahoo Super9 forum is pretty good for starters--like derestricting, and some good tuning info, but beyond there's nothing there in terms of "the ride".

It's worse on the other brand forums where there's so much disinformation spread about riding ("don't use the front brake or you'll flip over") that it's a waste of bandwidth.

BTW, the Super9 is like having a small displacement motorcycle...very solidly built. Derestricted (including disconnecting the rev limiter) it's hard to keep it out of redline because it pulls smoothly past 50-55 mph.

I'm sorta curious what kind of camping bike the Ruckus could be for the local parks, like Uwharrie. I'd like to hear from folks to see if it could plonk along with ultralight camping gear but still manage singletrack. Sort of like a small 1WD Rokon Ranger.

Kymco Super 9 Yahoo Forum - has a nice tuning database

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #140
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
The Yahoo Super9 forum is pretty good for starters--like derestricting, and some good tuning info, but beyond there's nothing there in terms of "the ride".

It's worse on the other brand forums where there's so much disinformation spread about riding ("don't use the front brake or you'll flip over") that it's a waste of bandwidth.

BTW, the Super9 is like having a small displacement motorcycle...very solidly built. Derestricted (including disconnecting the rev limiter) it's hard to keep it out of redline because it pulls smoothly past 50-55 mph.

I'm sorta curious what kind of camping bike the Ruckus could be for the local parks, like Uwharrie. I'd like to hear from folks to see if it could plonk along with ultralight camping gear but still manage singletrack. Sort of like a small 1WD Rokon Ranger.

Kymco Super 9 Yahoo Forum - has a nice tuning database
A Ruckus can carry a surprising amount of gear/weight and still pull fine.
The wind direction/strength is a bigger concern.
Off roading is limited due to lack of suspension travel:
it can make for a very rough ride and risks bending of the axles.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #141
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,074
Photog,
Just read your blog re: the Suburban idiot. Amazing penmanship and observations. I like your extrapolations about the Camaro ect ect. You really can articulate how most two wheelers feel about a lot the cagers out there..They just don't give a #$%^& about anyone or anything. That seems to be the climate on the road, "might makes right".
Glad you didn't get hurt and I'm glad you let the jerk know what a jerk he was....
Keep the good stuff coming!

Bill

PS: For everyone else, I'll let Photog link to this blog, not trying to hijack the thread, so back to skewters....

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #142
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes
A Ruckus can carry a surprising amount of gear/weight and still pull fine.
The wind direction/strength is a bigger concern.
Off roading is limited due to lack of suspension travel:
it can make for a very rough ride and risks bending of the axles.
I'd love to have an old CT90/100/110...something along the lines of a little pack mule.

The thrill of the Ruckus is not having to tag/insure it, so I can run it as a steath bike, so I was wondering if it would be useful as a camp bike. Sounds like anything that would require standing on the pegs (so to speak) and picking through might be something it would have trouble on. Perhaps fire roads would be okay?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #143
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
Thanks for the link to the Yahoo Super 9 group.

I did find http://www.scootersport.com/forum/ a minute ago. Not a single post or thread yet. It's virgin territory to rape and pillage.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #144
EatAtJoes
Ed Venture Heir

Oddometer: 6,771
Quote:
I'd love to have an old CT90/100/110...something along the lines of a little pack mule.

The thrill of the Ruckus is not having to tag/insure it, so I can run it as a steath bike, so I was wondering if it would be useful as a camp bike. Sounds like anything that would require standing on the pegs (so to speak) and picking through might be something it would have trouble on. Perhaps fire roads would be okay?
I had to tag and insure mine here in NE.
Interesting you should mention pack mule...
I was thinking just last night that if you ever got into some gnarly stuff, you could just walk along the side and have it carry everything for you.

You can't really 'stand on the pegs' on these things.
It just doesn't work the same.

Hard to say about fire roads.
On rough stuff, even at low speed, a Ruckus will bottom out the suspension.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #145
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javarilla
I will attempt an enduro on a skewter if dewty calls!
Monkeyman, Duty here. Get busy.
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #146
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
Thanks for the link to the Yahoo Super 9 group.

I did find http://www.scootersport.com/forum/ a minute ago. Not a single post or thread yet. It's virgin territory to rape and pillage.
OOooooo! Not a single post. Just lots of empty folders. Time to invade, annex, capture, etc.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #147
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
[QUOTE=Photog]I'd love to have an old CT90/100/110...something along the lines of a little pack mule.QUOTE]

Steverino may be selling his little CT70,,,, and it comes with a donor bike!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #148
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes
I had to tag and insure mine here in NE.
Interesting you should mention pack mule...
I was thinking just last night that if you ever got into some gnarly stuff, you could just walk along the side and have it carry everything for you.

You can't really 'stand on the pegs' on these things.
It just doesn't work the same.

Hard to say about fire roads.
On rough stuff, even at low speed, a Ruckus will bottom out the suspension.
Sounds like the old Honda Reflex or CT series or Yamaha TW is still the way to go for a camp bike.

Honda made a "Cub 90" for a while (it was a 90cc automatic scooter with knobbies...it had footpegs, no electrics) but with all the bodywork on it, it looked like it wasn't exactly a good base vehicle for modifying with racks...though I suppose soft panniers would be easy to do.

sorry about the Ruckus

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #149
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Honda made a "Cub 90" for a while (it was a 90cc automatic scooter with knobbies...it had footpegs, no electrics)
Team Dennis still has one of those for sale!!!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #150
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,254