Fuck Loaded with a Mulekick 26 19.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #106
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by John™
Linzi holds him up 'till he gets his balance...
Got it...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #107
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
My wife had a stroke about 15 years ago, and has use of, but limited feeling in her left hand. A bike with a clutch is out of the question. I'm intrigued by the availability now of a number of road-worthy scoots with automatic transmissions, because riding could now be an option for her. FWIw

On my little scoot the rear drum brake has plenty of stopping power without needing too much hand strength and with the light weight it stops in a heartbeat. I suspect a dual-disc (front + rear) scoot will easily stop on a dime even if the left hand is weaker or has other limitations. Our Super 9 is dual-disc and it stops so fast it's spooky.

In terms of performance, the maxi-scoots will blow the doors off any cars and more than a few sporty bikes. The traditional smaller-frame urban scoots would be super easy, too...she'd just need to avoid the modern geared scoots which have the clutch and shifter on the left grip (Stella, Bajaj, Vespa PX) as well as the vintage ones. (then again, maybe she could handle one?)

I've got severe arthritis so I've always been on the lookout for things that might work for me. The step-through frames will be nice once my hips get to the point where I can't swing a leg over a seat--already on some days I've noticed that it's so very nice to have the lighter bike for in-town stuff where it's constant stop-and-go on uneven potholed roads, getting on and off the bike a lot to run errands (bank, groceries, post office), and of course it's nice to park (literally) right at the door.

And, of course, when I get back on my GS after riding my 50cc scoots, the GS feels like a rocketship.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #108
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,172
Good point about the open frame, maybe hoggy should have considered one, or even a Helix

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #109
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Good point about the open frame, maybe hoggy should have considered one, or even a Helix
I think the badass element is lacking on the Helix.

However, as a 2nd bike for an urban runabout, the scoots really shine.

Hmmm...as for the cool/badass factor, I'll have to dig up those scooter video links and post them sometime...some folks may not know about mods and rockers.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #110
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
My wife had a stroke about 15 years ago, and has use of, but limited feeling in her left hand. A bike with a clutch is out of the question. I'm intrigued by the availability now of a number of road-worthy scoots with automatic transmissions, because riding could now be an option for her. FWIw
Keep your eyes on Segway...

Of course, it'll cost an arm and a leg...
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 AM   #111
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

I rode a Segway once...cool as hell. Sorta spooky in that "thought control" way of moving around, but definately has wonderful possiblities for folks with various disabilities that aren't well-served by traditional wheelchairs.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM   #112
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

On my little scoot the rear drum brake has plenty of stopping power without needing too much hand strength and with the light weight it stops in a heartbeat. I suspect a dual-disc (front + rear) scoot will easily stop on a dime even if the left hand is weaker or has other limitations. Our Super 9 is dual-disc and it stops so fast it's spooky.

In terms of performance, the maxi-scoots will blow the doors off any cars and more than a few sporty bikes. The traditional smaller-frame urban scoots would be super easy, too...she'd just need to avoid the modern geared scoots which have the clutch and shifter on the left grip (Stella, Bajaj, Vespa PX) as well as the vintage ones. (then again, maybe she could handle one?)

I've got severe arthritis so I've always been on the lookout for things that might work for me. The step-through frames will be nice once my hips get to the point where I can't swing a leg over a seat--already on some days I've noticed that it's so very nice to have the lighter bike for in-town stuff where it's constant stop-and-go on uneven potholed roads, getting on and off the bike a lot to run errands (bank, groceries, post office), and of course it's nice to park (literally) right at the door.

And, of course, when I get back on my GS after riding my 50cc scoots, the GS feels like a rocketship.
Thanks for your thoughts. The left hand is really the only limiting factor. She can put a decent squeeze on a lever with it, but can't feel what it's doing, so the "friction zone" of a clutch would be a mystery. Other than that, she's in great condition. Good reflexes, does yoga, works out, rides a bicycle, plays racquet ball, walked 26 miles in two days for an Avon breast cancer walk a couple of years ago.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #113
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
Thanks for your thoughts. The left hand is really the only limiting factor. She can put a decent squeeze on a lever with it, but can't feel what it's doing, so the "friction zone" of a clutch would be a mystery. Other than that, she's in great condition. Good reflexes, does yoga, works out, rides a bicycle, plays racquet ball, walked 26 miles in two days for an Avon breast cancer walk a couple of years ago.
Wow! Good for her! That's really nice to hear.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 PM   #114
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,883
Quote:
I rode a Segway once...cool as hell. Sorta spooky in that "thought control" way of moving around, but definately has wonderful possiblities for folks with various disabilities that aren't well-served by traditional wheelchairs.
They look like fun.
I wonder if I exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #115
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
They look like fun.

When I rode one, it was in a BMW motorcycle showroom...I was careening towards an LT...then backwards towards a GS...then circling out of control around a CL...not exactly the place for n00bs to practice. Took about 30 seconds, really, to get the hang of it and then it felt natural. Not before I scared the crap out of the BMW folks.

The sales guy said that in many cases, folks with Parkinsons have fewer tremors when they're on 'em. I forgot the reason (it actually made quite a bit of sense)...but the technology that senses the tiny little weight shifts we do before actually moving is way crankin' cool. I get the feeling that the Segway is just a test mule for so many really neat things to come in terms of mobility for folks with disabilities.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #116
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Ruckus deployment vehicle.

patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:25 AM   #117
wedgeman
square peg, round whole

Oddometer: 26,230
seems that somebody could pretty easily rig a linked brake system together on a scoot, so froont and back would brake simultaneously..

I think I could cross rig a traditional auto-tranny scooter over to left hand operation in 1-2hrs.. just reposition the throttle grip from right to left, so you twist it backwards (it'll be opposite becase you've flipped it), then rig 2 clamperhandles together as a set.. it'd be assugly but perfect for seeing if the SO can handle single--handed operation.. IMHO a light scoot would be a great thing in this scenario...
wedgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #118
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,431
There are some scoots with integrated brakes; don't remember which but I've read it, so I know it's true.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #119
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider
They look like fun.
You know they have an off-road version?
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #120
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:

When I rode one, it was in a BMW motorcycle showroom...I was careening towards an LT...then backwards towards a GS...then circling out of control around a CL...not exactly the place for n00bs to practice. Took about 30 seconds, really, to get the hang of it and then it felt natural. Not before I scared the crap out of the BMW folks.

The sales guy said that in many cases, folks with Parkinsons have fewer tremors when they're on 'em. I forgot the reason (it actually made quite a bit of sense)...but the technology that senses the tiny little weight shifts we do before actually moving is way crankin' cool. I get the feeling that the Segway is just a test mule for so many really neat things to come in terms of mobility for folks with disabilities.
God, I'da paid good money to watch that!

Given Kamen's record so far, I'd say that is an excellent supposition...
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote