Fuck Loaded with a Mulekick 26 19.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #121
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
There are some scoots with integrated brakes; don't remember which but I've read it, so I know it's true.
these?

more mileage than many HD's
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #122
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
You left off

9. Assholes. These are Ruckus riders who ride around waving at Harley riders, using that two finger low wave they seem to enjoy. They're often dressed in Harley leathers, adding insult to injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Hard to explain.

From what I can tell, scooterists fall into one or more of these categories

1. Econowonks. These are people who abhor vehicles only slightly less than they abhor paying money for anything. They ride scooters because they get good gas mileage, didn't cost much, and get free parking. They couldn't care less about performance or for that matter, comfort. For them, life is a sufferfest made better by pocket protectors and OMB circulars. If someone put a 1-cylinder Onan diesel engine on a Big Wheel and sold it for $399, they'd be on it.

2. Squids. Kids who put a 70cc kit on a Yamaha Zuma and ride it to school for about a week before the cops catch them and confiscate it because they were wearing a skateboard helmet and doing a 65mph stoppie in a school zone while blatting out 163db of 2-stroke noise.

3. Adult Hooligans. These are people who justified it to themselves by combining both 1 and 2. "It'll get great gas mileage, dear," they tell their spouses, and "But it does a 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, d00d," they tell their skeptical motorcycle friends. The real reason they're riding is that it reminds them of the first time they snuck out onto a public road on their Z-50 when they were a kid, and it rails around a corner better than their R1. That, and commuting on it during the week enables them to afford to put gas in their Suburban on weekends so they can tow the boat.

4. Drunks. If the damn thing is only going 30 and the guy is giving everyone the finger, it's because it's restricted to 30mph to be classified as a moped so that the driver doesn't need tags or insurance. Which is good because the finger-waving driver can't get tags and insurance. These folks are easy to spot because they look really pissed that they are on a scooter and are weaving a bit as they struggle to tuck a 12-pack of PBR under their left arm while balancing a keg on the floorboard. See also, "Liquor-sickle"

5. Greenies. These folks ride 4 stroke scooters to save the whales from harmful emissions coming from those nasty 2T bikes and evil SUV's driven by uncaring capitalists. They are usually seen on Honda Metropolitans that, ironically, share the same motor as the fiesty Ruckus (typically ridden by groups 3 and 8). Note: if rider not wearing a Che T-shirt, you may have mis-id'd the rider. See category 7.

6. Dorks. Okay, I'm not gonna disparage anyone, but really--what else are you going to call someone in Members Only jacket, plaid shorts, white socks, and loafers, on a Silverwing? These folks run the gamut from 100 mile/year Snowbirds to the hardcore 40,000 mile Helix riders. They look like GL1200 riders, and as such, beware--they have iron butts in their wrinkly little hides.

7. Girliebikes. They're sooooo cute! They're, like, soooooo much cuter than motorcycles! Note: play your cards right, and you can get your wife on one of these scoots and it becomes a GATEWAY DRUG to bigger motorcycles. This is the first step to a 135-lb weight drop on your bike, transforming it back into the sport bike you once remembered. You can bear the Hibiscus Edition Metropolitan for this, especially if she starts getting excited about buying Bike Stuff on weekends. It's not a scooter, it's a strategy.

8. The Hardcore. This is group #3 that has evolved, transcending all rational thought and spending all their spare time ordering parts from Europe, dremeling ports to creamy smoothness. They can prounounce "Bajaj Cheetak" without sounding like they have a mouth full of novocaine, and are currently using their GS as a parts runabout for their scooter.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #123
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
more mileage than many HD's
There's some older dood locally that's got the most beat-to-shit Eton Beemer on the planet. Scratch that--it's the most beat-to-shit plastic scooter in the universe.

The guy put 16,000 miles on it in 6 months

just doing a local commute, and was on track for a 30K mile year when he finally blew the piston outta the case and into the next county. The shop guys said they'd throw a 70cc kit in it and have in back on the road in a day or so.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #124
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Ruckus deployment vehicle.

Launch procedures:
1. set countdown timer to 10 sec
2. at 5 seconds, rev Ruckus to redline and hold brake
3. at 0 seconds, floor minivan gas, and release Ruckus brake
4. yell "WHEEEEEEE!"

note: loosen all tiedown straps before launch
note2: duck

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #125
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,244
I just got these from a bud that went to Italy for the Moto Giro...

"...racing Lambretta at the Morbidelli museum in Pesaro. damn thing could make a grown man cry - probably kill someone. check out the handformed pipe. thing was like a pitbull on crack and i never turned my back on it once."

Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 PM   #126
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

FYYFF's Where the hell is the forum??

Old 07-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #127
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Scooter?

I saw this thing yesterday.

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #128
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Didja buy it too?

Old 07-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #129
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Didja buy it too?
Yup, It's DirtDOG buys stuff that's uglier than a Buick week.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #130
GearWhore
Running fans the flames

Oddometer: 477

Which one is worse, bicycle cop or scooter cop?

Gear Whore
GearWhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #131
ilmostro OP
Under Da Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
Yup, It's DirtDOG buys stuff that's uglier than a Buick week.

Not possible

(I mean, something being uglier than a Buick)

Sweet Farmall!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #132
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,537
Bumping this and voting yes.

Just cause I like the thread. I wanna Ruckus.

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #133
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,505
Add College Kids to your list Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Hard to explain.

From what I can tell, scooterists fall into one or more of these categories

1. Econowonks. These are people who abhor vehicles only slightly less than they abhor paying money for anything. They ride scooters because they get good gas mileage, didn't cost much, and get free parking. They couldn't care less about performance or for that matter, comfort. For them, life is a sufferfest made better by pocket protectors and OMB circulars. If someone put a 1-cylinder Onan diesel engine on a Big Wheel and sold it for $399, they'd be on it.

2. Squids. Kids who put a 70cc kit on a Yamaha Zuma and ride it to school for about a week before the cops catch them and confiscate it because they were wearing a skateboard helmet and doing a 65mph stoppie in a school zone while blatting out 163db of 2-stroke noise.

3. Adult Hooligans. These are people who justified it to themselves by combining both 1 and 2. "It'll get great gas mileage, dear," they tell their spouses, and "But it does a 1/4 mile in 12 seconds, d00d," they tell their skeptical motorcycle friends. The real reason they're riding is that it reminds them of the first time they snuck out onto a public road on their Z-50 when they were a kid, and it rails around a corner better than their R1. That, and commuting on it during the week enables them to afford to put gas in their Suburban on weekends so they can tow the boat.

4. Drunks. If the damn thing is only going 30 and the guy is giving everyone the finger, it's because it's restricted to 30mph to be classified as a moped so that the driver doesn't need tags or insurance. Which is good because the finger-waving driver can't get tags and insurance. These folks are easy to spot because they look really pissed that they are on a scooter and are weaving a bit as they struggle to tuck a 12-pack of PBR under their left arm while balancing a keg on the floorboard. See also, "Liquor-sickle"

5. Greenies. These folks ride 4 stroke scooters to save the whales from harmful emissions coming from those nasty 2T bikes and evil SUV's driven by uncaring capitalists. They are usually seen on Honda Metropolitans that, ironically, share the same motor as the fiesty Ruckus (typically ridden by groups 3 and 8). Note: if rider not wearing a Che T-shirt, you may have mis-id'd the rider. See category 7.

6. Dorks. Okay, I'm not gonna disparage anyone, but really--what else are you going to call someone in Members Only jacket, plaid shorts, white socks, and loafers, on a Silverwing? These folks run the gamut from 100 mile/year Snowbirds to the hardcore 40,000 mile Helix riders. They look like GL1200 riders, and as such, beware--they have iron butts in their wrinkly little hides.

7. Girliebikes. They're sooooo cute! They're, like, soooooo much cuter than motorcycles! Note: play your cards right, and you can get your wife on one of these scoots and it becomes a GATEWAY DRUG to bigger motorcycles. This is the first step to a 135-lb weight drop on your bike, transforming it back into the sport bike you once remembered. You can bear the Hibiscus Edition Metropolitan for this, especially if she starts getting excited about buying Bike Stuff on weekends. It's not a scooter, it's a strategy.

8. The Hardcore. This is group #3 that has evolved, transcending all rational thought and spending all their spare time ordering parts from Europe, dremeling ports to creamy smoothness. They can prounounce "Bajaj Cheetak" without sounding like they have a mouth full of novocaine, and are currently using their GS as a parts runabout for their scooter.
Daughter's now a sophmore at Clemson -- seems everyone there has one. Mostly Honda Metro's and Yamaha Zuma's. She's got the only Ruckus that we know of. 1,600 miles in less than a year, and only one get off -- low sided it (and got a ticket for 'too fast for conditions' )

I'm a huge fan!

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #134
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,537
Give me an 04 in Desert Camo. Hey I live in the Desert.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:19 AM   #135
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,428

It seems that Italjet is now owned by an Indian company, and is no longer selling any scooters in U.S.