User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
jw18 OP
fail

Oddometer: 607
Adobe CS5 for Mac?

Hey guys, I just bought my girlfriend a MacBook Air since her laptop is about to die and they dropped the price to a reasonable amount. She really likes it, but she uses CS5 on her old windows laptop and would love to have it on her new one. She got a great deal on the windows version back when she was in collage and we just looked into getting a new version and I was blown away with what Adobe is asking for this stuff. She only uses Photoshop maybe once every other month and Illustrator about every other week. So that doesn't justify the prices that are out there for monthly fees Adobe wants.

Which brings me here asking the collective where to get the older CS5 version at for a reasonable price? A quick search is showing $500 plus.

What say ye?

jw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 40,228
She can just swap it as long as she no longer is using any windows machines:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...uage-swap.html

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
jw18 OP
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
She can just swap it as long as she no longer is using any windows machines:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...uage-swap.html

Will that work with all types? I am not familiar with the program and it was installed for her at her collage. She doesn't have a hard copy of anything.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw18 View Post
Will that work with all types? I am not familiar with the program and it was installed for her at her collage. She doesn't have a hard copy of anything.
Was it a copy licensed to the school? If so she probably can't do anything. And even converting an academic copy might be dicey if she's no longer in school.

The sites I'm finding with older copies look pretty shady when I check out their reviews....most likely your options are find someone with an older copy they no longer use, pay the 30/month for illustrator/photoshop, or find an alternative.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
jw18 OP
fail

Quote:
Was it a copy licensed to the school? If so she probably can't do anything. And even converting an academic copy might be dicey if she's no longer in school.

The sites I'm finding with older copies look pretty shady when I check out their reviews....most likely your options are find someone with an older copy they no longer use, pay the 30/month for illustrator/photoshop, or find an alternative.

Thanks for looking into this. It seems she does have some form of student/education version and she graduated years ago.

I guess we will watch craigslist for an older copy. I see no reason to spend $360 plus a year for a program that she doesn't use daily.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,353
There are alternatives. Pixelmator is one photoshop alternative, as is GIMP. Each has it's own limitations, and either would require learning a new UI and workflow. But then either one is way cheaper; only she can decide if an alternative is acceptable, and whether or not any particular application is suitable.

Good luck. This sort of project generally ends up being trying, expensive, or both.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Thanks for looking into this. It seems she does have some form of student/education version and she graduated years ago.

I guess we will watch craigslist for an older copy. I see no reason to spend $360 plus a year for a program that she doesn't use daily.
If she has her own license even though it's a student version this would be a good question to ask on a forum more focused on a field that uses adobe products. I'm sure someone has dealt with this before, and it might be a complete non-issue since she was a student when she bought it. So while I'm not sure if it'll work it's worth asking and finding out what's up especially since newer versions are so expensive.

Also her Mac is basically a PC so she could run a windows partition with bootcamp, or run it in a VM like parallels or whatever the best one is for that. If you go this route I'd look at how CS5 runs performance wise in the VM, and how it is with Windows 7 VS 8.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
jw18 OP
fail

Quote:
If she has her own license even though it's a student version this would be a good question to ask on a forum more focused on a field that uses adobe products. I'm sure someone has dealt with this before, and it might be a complete non-issue since she was a student when she bought it. So while I'm not sure if it'll work it's worth asking and finding out what's up especially since newer versions are so expensive.

Also her Mac is basically a PC so she could run a windows partition with bootcamp, or run it in a VM like parallels or whatever the best one is for that. If you go this route I'd look at how CS5 runs performance wise in the VM, and how it is with Windows 7 VS 8.

I have parallels on my iMac, I'll see if I can transfer hers onto that. The MacBook Air has a really small hard drive, I don't want to boot camp it

Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,266
I went with the upgrade to the new subscription version.

It's 10 bucks a month, at least it has been for a while now.

And the new version is a very solid update.

I've been using PS since the beginning. And I've been decently happy with this new set up.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
.fisher
pissin' in the wind

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
I have parallels on my iMac, I'll see if I can transfer hers onto that. The MacBook Air has a really small hard drive, I don't want to boot camp it
Something to keep in mind; MB Air + Parallels + PS might be a bit much for the hardware if she's working with larger scratch disk size/large overall file size stuff. More frustration and waiting than anything, probably.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .fisher View Post
Something to keep in mind; MB Air + Parallels + PS might be a bit much for the hardware if she's working with larger scratch disk size/large overall file size stuff. More frustration and waiting than anything, probably.
I ran CS5 on some pretty slow hardware (1.86GHz Xeon 5120 from 2006), looking at the benchmarks it the base MacBook Air is ~300% faster so I wouldn't worry. And if she got it when CS5 came out we're talking 2010-2011 so unless it was a high end i7 it most likely will have similar or faster performance even with parallels at least on the CPU side, plus that scratch disk while possibly smaller will be a lot faster being a SSD so I'm not sure how that would compare.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:58 AM
Old 03-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #12
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,353
The OP indicated that parallels will be running on an iMac, not the MBA.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #13
Gravetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I went with the upgrade to the new subscription version.

It's 10 bucks a month, at least it has been for a while now.

And the new version is a very solid update.

I've been using PS since the beginning. And I've been decently happy with this new set up.

this
Gravetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
jw18 OP
fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravetter View Post
this
I bought her the laptop and she is too cheap to do a monthly service. It's in her wheelhouse now.

She tried downloading it and putting in on her mac which worked, but the serial number that she pulled off her PC will work for a while, but then it pops up a screen that is't invalid. She emailed her old professor about it because she did pay for it in college out of pocket, but it was a discounted student copy. So I don't know where she will end up.

jw18 screwed with this post 03-25-2015 at 11:16 AM Reason: fix misspelled word...stupid autocorrect

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: