Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
This is all great feedback so far, much appreciated!

Interesting note on the '14 Forester, I will look that one up.

Mr. Mad is just about to post some details on our test drive today. Off the cuff, it's really seems like a lot of car for the price. Definitely would be a lateral move from my CR-V... power and ride seem very similar. Of course there's a bit less cargo room, but that's not a deal breaker.

Despite the sexy black wheels, the heated seats and the comfy ride, I am leaning away from it because I found it too noisy at 70. I spend 2 hours a day commuting for work and find my current car to be noisy. I would really like upgrade in that area so I am back to the drawing board for now.

I should note that the XV has kick-butt braking and feels very nice to drive on narrow twisties. Relatively quiet at those speeds as well.

So, its a great little car, just a shame it's not more quiet on the highway, where I really crave it :(
i think i'm in the same boat as y'all. put 20k miles on my 2012 golf TDI in a year. like it, but don't want to own it outside of warranty. now i'm spoiled bc of the quiet cabin, heated seats, and 6th gear (stick).

i don't need all the performance of the WRX, nor do i want to pay for premium fuel for low mpg. but i'd love to see a more performance oriented cross tek (faster, quieter)

also waiting to see what mazda does with the cx-5 for next year.

right now i don't see anything better than what i have now, but i'm interested in hearing about your test drives.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
What? Speak up, i can't hear you

Well that was quick. Took one for a test drive today and wanted to share our feedback before it faded.

Good:
  • Great car for the money, lots of goodies (two fuel consumption gauges (vacuum style and electronic instant as well as average), bluetoof, heated seats.
  • Better appointed than I expected. Upholstery, plastics, fit and finish was better than I expected for a $21k car.
  • Fuel economy is supposedly much better than her current CRV without giving up too much space.
  • Handling was firm and fairly tight and fairly predictable. Body roll was less than the CRV and better than I had expected.
  • Brakes were impressive and considerably better than the CRV which is a bigger concern for me than power when towing.
  • Oil filter is mounted for easy access and the motor looks like it would be easy to work on with its uncluttered design.
Bad:
  • LOUD, way too loud. We drove the manual, which does not included the noise suppression in the engine compartment that the CVT does as the NY Times article points out. We verified this at the showroom. The bean-counter that convinced Subaru to do this actually cost them the sale today. Mrs Mad could have looked past the other issues, but this was the deal breaker. At low speeds its not bad unless you are winding up the motor which is all the time since it has no power.
  • Power. Mousier Racoon hit the nail on the head: gutless wonder. For the fuel economy and size it's to be expected I suppose. Frankly we could have lived with it. It's not ideal but it's all about compromise, right? I don't think I'd want a couple of bikes on a trailer merging with traffic, but for the tradeoff in fuel economy the other 99% of the time it was acceptable.
  • Minor - There was a consistent vibration that could have been tire balance or alignment, maybe nothing, maybe not.
Consensus:
If were 10 years younger, weren't as spoiled, or had a more strict budget to work with we would have driven it home today. We both thought it was a good car (maybe even great) and seemed to be a great value. (Neither of us really like the look of the Forester so we didn't compare it but on paper it actually appears the Forester might even be a better value.)
In the end, the noise was simply too much for us.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,736
196,000 miles on our 2002 Impreza Outback Sport and going strong! We did have the notorious head gasket leak and took care of that at around 165,000 miles (it had been a very slow weeping leak for a long time). At the same time we did all the gaskets and seals that came in a kit, plus timing belt and water pump. We also just had the recall done for rusty a-arms. A-arms, sub frames, and a bunch of stuff replaced. If I recall correctly all the axles and wheel bearing have been done since 150,000 miles, and the radiator was replaced due to hitting a deer. Although this weekend a coolant leak developed in a hard line that supplies the heater core. $15 part, must remove intake to change, blah! The shocker is the lack of body rust considering where we live. One wheel well has some, rest of the car is solid. I expect to get 300,000 miles out of the car.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
padiii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
HM, thanks for the review. That car is/was? on my short list to replace my 2009 Impreza Outback Sport. Actually took a showroom look at one a few weeks ago. Didn't test one as they didn't have any manuals in stock. The noise issue will be a big one for me though.
padiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by seuadr View Post
i've got the impreza 2012 hatch. you will NOT be able to stuff a couple bikes in there, if the cross trek is similar sized. folded seats will leave lots of room for camping gear and dogs, though. I, personally, find that the 2.0 is peppy enough for us with the CVT. we got a combined 30-32 regularly with it, and unlike others have complained, i don't see any issue with the build quality in the interior. it replaced a 2006 forester (well, replaced it as my wife's daily driver), and replaced it well. I haven't towed with that motor at all, but it seems peppier than the 2.5L in the forester, and i can tow a trailer full of wood with that no problem. I imagine that a couple dirt bikes would be no problem.
The 2.0 was a big issue for me (along with the lack of room on the footrest for those of us with huge feet) it feels more like a Civic than the older Subarus which had some torque. And that's with the standard.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
The 2.0 was a big issue for me (along with the lack of room on the footrest for those of us with huge feet) it feels more like a Civic than the older Subarus which had some torque. And that's with the standard.
might be a stick thing? i've got the 2006 2.5L auto, and the 2.0 with the CVT feels peppier.

of course, that is seat of the pants dyno, so YMMV
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #22
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Got my eye on a 2010 with very low miles. Not as many mpg as with the new 2.0, but it's also 6K less bucks, and has more torque than the newer ones. I can buy a lot of gas for that 6K. My GMC is on it's way "down the road" for fuel burn alone.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,374
Gotta go test one of these soon as the current work hack, a '10 Forester, has the lease running out in a few months. The Forester has been good but I miss the tighter handling of the '07 I had before it (my commute involves some sweet twisties )

I like the look of the XV (I'll have the orange one thanks ) & could probably deal with a little extra noise, (the 07 Foz was a bit rowdy compared to the 10) but if the lower weight doesn't balance out the 2.5 - 2.0L power drop that might rule it out.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #24
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
HowlingMad...

Mrs Maritimer and myself have started thinking about the next vehicle purchase also. We had an 03 impress outback sport and loved the AWD system, but hated the reliability issues. I think it was just a bad time for the impreza...

Anyway, we too liked the idea of the XV but in the end, it's just a pimped up impreza for more money, more noise, and no extra function.

I know you mentioned the Forester wasn't for you, style-wise, however the 2014 is due for release shortly and looks much better and still comes with a stick. Food for thought.

Alan

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #25
HowlingMad OP
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,350
Hmm, they always reminded me of the Popemobile, but Maritimer is right they are getting better.

more here

Are they reasonably quiet? That seems to be her hot button at the moment.

Although it fails the AWD requirement the Jetta TDI seems to have caught her attention. Yeah, I know.

HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #26
StriderTB
Strudel

Oddometer: 141
I'm on Impreza #5, a 2012 Impreza Sport. Basically the same as the Crosstrek but without the ride height and wacky colors. Since it's primarily my wife's commuter, we went for the CVT. It could definitely use a shot of horsepower, but for what it is, and the mileage it gets, it's fine. One thing to keep in mind, Subaru seems to have gone with a pretty thin windshield on their new Imprezas. Ours already has a nice long crack, and I know of a few others that are getting chipped rather easily. Make sure you have a glass rider on your car insurance, or you're looking at a $600 windshield.

My other Impreza is my 198k mile 2001 RS coupe. I'm probably going to sell it in the spring and pick up a BRZ, which looks like a lot of fun.
StriderTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
HowlingMad...I'm starting to wonder if we are married to the same woman....

Mrs Maritimer has been talking TDI as well, but of the Golf Wagon variety.

My sister and her husband are die-hard Subaru people with 2 Foresters, but they are northern NY based and up there, I think it's a by-law to have at least one Subaru....no mention of noise level, but I have to call her tonight.

I suspect we have a similar wish-list...good on gas, comfortable for longer trips, AWD a bonus, prefer a stick, some utility for hauling stuff....I'm not convinced that vehicle even exists.

Good luck!

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTB View Post
I'm on Impreza #5, a 2012 Impreza Sport. Basically the same as the Crosstrek but without the ride height and wacky colors. Since it's primarily my wife's commuter, we went for the CVT. It could definitely use a shot of horsepower, but for what it is, and the mileage it gets, it's fine. One thing to keep in mind, Subaru seems to have gone with a pretty thin windshield on their new Imprezas. Ours already has a nice long crack, and I know of a few others that are getting chipped rather easily. Make sure you have a glass rider on your car insurance, or you're looking at a $600 windshield.

My other Impreza is my 198k mile 2001 RS coupe. I'm probably going to sell it in the spring and pick up a BRZ, which looks like a lot of fun.
It is.

See my Subaru thread for details.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #29
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,571
The noise problem is easily solved with a Borla header and Flowmaster muffler. It makes it louder, but the sound is nice.

My wife commutes in a 2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5spd. It is a great car, and nothing else can compare to its snow capability, not even my full size Chevy. It does get high centered when the snow is deep, however, so the taller ride height on the Crosstrek would be nice. Too bad they are playing the detuned engine game with some models again. I thought they learned that lesson when they got slammed for the first year Forester. In general, Subarus tend to go through lots of headlights, O2 sensors, and little things. A bit irritating, but doable if you have a dealer in town.

I would recommend getting the WRX hatchback with a roof rack for the bicycles.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #30
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Mr. Mad,

Don't give up on Subaru yet. You can still get an Outback with a 6-speed manual transmission in either base or premium trim. Lots more power, same raised ride-height as the Crosstrek, good fuel economy, 2,700 lbs. TOWING CAPACITY, great interior and very comfy and quiet. I test drove one, and liked it very much. Some of the best seats I've ever sat in. If I hadn't already bought an '11 WRX, I would've probably bought it on the spot. Love my WRX, but at 48 years old, my next car will have to be a little more comfortable I'm afraid. So, if I were you, I wouldn't rule out the Outback.

I also believe you can get a Mazda CX-5 SUV in a manual -- they're also coming out with a diesel-powered one soon I hear...
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: