User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #61
BioStrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
My wife has had a Crosstrek for about 4 months and has clocked 8,000 miles. Great car, far more fun to drive compared to the 2011 Outback we traded in on it. Big power difference, but tolerable even here in the Appalachians. With the five speed we average 27 mpg with a mix of country road and interstate travel that includes an elevation gain/loss of 1500' during our daily commute. Handles great and doesn't feel like I am in a 68 Cadillac re the newer Outbacks. I recommend it.
BioStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #62
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
I see online that the Crosstrek XV has a tow rating of 750 lbs/1500 lbs with trailer brakes, but the regular Impreza is not rated for towing.

If the XV is just a lifted Impreza, why the difference in tow rating? HakWife will be looking to replace her manual transmission 2002 Forester (bought new) in the next year, and the manual transmission Impreza is looking like a likely candidate...except I'd like to have the ability to occasionally tow a small trailer, like browneye

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I've been looking hard at one of these Desert Khaki 5pds, test drove a CVT and a 5pd standard Imprezza since the dealer didn't have a 5pd in a XV.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #63
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan View Post
I see online that the Crosstrek XV has a tow rating of 750 lbs/1500 lbs with trailer brakes, but the regular Impreza is not rated for towing.

If the XV is just a lifted Impreza, why the difference in tow rating? HakWife will be looking to replace her manual transmission 2002 Forester (bought new) in the next year, and the manual transmission Impreza is looking like a likely candidate...except I'd like to have the ability to occasionally tow a small trailer, like browneye
BTW, that's a great website with a TON of specs.

The XV Crosstrek has larger brakes and enhanced cooling components vs. the Impressa, for light trailer towing.

My trailer is about 650lbs, so a couple of dualsports should put it just under capacity. The benzo tows it like it's not there. But I wonder what climbing passes would be like with the Crosstrek. Probably slow lane in 3rd gear, 45mph. At least one of the owner user forums had reports of light trailer towing and it was no problem. The 2.0 boxer engine is pretty torquey, high torque at lower rpms, and fairly flat curve. Peak is at 4200 though, so I would expect climbs would be at or near that 4K rpm range. They do like to rev.

Most professional reviewers say the new Crosstrek needs more power. I noticed it right away on the test drives of the two cars, the CVT managing it better. There's a strong surge off idle, when you first start out, then it flattens out. I hear once they're broke in there's a lot of revving and rowing for peak performance. I guess I gotta go drive one again now that I've read up on them, make sure I can stand it. There are also a few complaints of road noise, but that's expected, it's a cheap car with little sound deadening, and the tires fitted are not exactly quiet runners.

There are just two trim levels, PREIMIUM and LIMITED. The limited is quite nice with optional sunroof, has leather and electric adjust seating which is also nice, auto-headlamps,and auto-climate control, but only available with the CVT. That won't work for me if I want to flat-tow it. So I'm stuck with fabric seats and no roof and none of the other goodies I'm used to. The optional nav for two grand is also widely panned, hard to use, bulky, just forget it. The good news is that even the 'base' model has body-color handles and mirrors, roof rails, the cold-weather package with heated seats, bluetooth, PDL, PW, cruise and tilt. So all of the basics you would expect.

If I still had a KTM I'd get the orange one.

Here's the desert khaki one I like so well:

browneye screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 08:15 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #64
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
i really enjoy my 2002 1/2 ton chevy silverado 4x4 w/8' bed. it has almost 220,000 miles on it and it runs great except for the gas mileage.

after saying that the crosstrek has been on my mind for some time now. i think I may buy one next year and keep my truck.

my wife has a 2013 outback and it is one terriffic car. we live in a very rural town and get lots of snow and the outback has managed better than my truck in some cases.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #65
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones750 View Post
If I recall, the leather-clad shift knob was like $139.

must be a nice knob for 139.00
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #66
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

New Desert Khaki Crosstrek

Well, went and did it tonight...traded the benzo for a Crosstrek.
Test drove one with the 5pd manual and has plenty of pep. It's such a cool little car I couldn't resist.
Will add a hitch for the bike trailer and a front towing baseplate for my motorhome towbar. Tows four wheels down.

Pics later.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #67
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones750 View Post
/My only concern is that manufacturer specs are showing that towing capacity has gone from 2400#s to 1500#s....I'm thinking it's a website glitch they haven't caught as the Forester data has gone to the 2014 specs in the past week. The 2.0 shows a 1500# capacity as does the 2.5 which doesn't make sense. /
Go to the Subaru Australia site. They sell all the models sold in the US, and the tow capacities are substantially higher there, as well as in Europe.

Our 2006 3.0R had a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs in the US. The same vehicle in Australia was rated for 2,000kg - about 4,400. It tows quite well....

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #68
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Well, went and did it tonight...traded the benzo for a Crosstrek.
Test drove one with the 5pd manual and has plenty of pep. It's such a cool little car I couldn't resist.
Will add a hitch for the bike trailer and a front towing baseplate for my motorhome towbar. Tows four wheels down.

Pics later.
where are the pics
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #69
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan View Post

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking that there's no listed rating because Subaru might not offer a hitch for the base Impreza.

I had a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport, and I installed the Subaru hitch package on it, that I purchased from the dealer (one nice thing about Subarus is that their parts all come with very easy to follow instructions).

In 2008, when we traded it on the Forester we still have, I noticed that the new (at the time) rounded body Impreza's didn't even have a hitch listed as an option, and when I looked at the back end, it seemed that it would be very difficult to install any kind of a hitch without having to somehow mangle the bumper. Curt or some other company probably made one, (or maybe Subaru ended up doing so later), but it certainly was not evident. It was actually one of the reasons we ended up getting the Forester instead.

With the increased ground clearance of the Crosstrek, it's probably easier to add the hitch.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #70
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
where are the pics
Haha...here ya go...

Got a coupe hundred miles on it now and really like it. It's peppy, gets 25-26 around town and over 30 on the freeway. Need to put a trailer hitch on it now so I can hook up my trailer for the bikes.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #71
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,889
FWIW Subaru Australia lists the following tow capacities for the "Impreza 2.0i-S Hatch" with CVT. The 2.0i with manual is the same.

Towing
With trailer brakes: 1200kg [2,640 lbs]
Without trailer brakes: 650kg [1,430 lbs]
Maximum tongue weight: 120kg [264 lbs]

Cars101:
With trailer brakes: 1,500lbs
Without trailer brakes: 750 lbs
Maximum tongue weight: 200 lbs

Subaru is one of the few manufacturers in the US who list tow capacities for small cars, at all. Subaru Canada doesn't seem to list them at all.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #72
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
That's a good looking car...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #73
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 1,908
I've had several different Subies: '84 GL with hi-lo 4wd and center grille cyclops light, 2000 H6 Outback, 2001 Forester, 2005 Outback XT turbo. The GL and the Forester are the best in snow, and the Forester cleans the crawl out of the Black River valley with no difficulties--it's not that hard a climb, but I'm surprised at how easily we go up.

Although I love the Forester, I was planning on going back to the Outback for my next car. I like the longer wheelbase and lower CoG, but then they changed the Outback in 2010, making it larger and uglier, higher snout and generic-looking rear end. Why o why?!?! I hated it and decided I'd probably go with the RAV4. Then the TDI came along and I coveted one for a while, but now they appear to have made a slight redesign of the Outback (reducing the ugliness but the front end is still shite) and I'm reconsidering. Among my candidates, my mechanic likes the RAV4 (no belts to change, dead-bang reliable), then the Subarus, then the TDI.

I'm at 150k on the Forester, and most of my non-routine repairs have come in the last 15k: both front axles, rear wheel bearings, and the sunroof has conked out (at least it's closed) and it's a $2k repair so I'm ignoring it. I have the gasket issues (oil and coolant) but they are less than minor annoyances. Would def buy again unless I get a TDI.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,083
Quote:
Haha...here ya go...

Got a coupe hundred miles on it now and really like it. It's peppy, gets 25-26 around town and over 30 on the freeway. Need to put a trailer hitch on it now so I can hook up my trailer for the bikes.

congrats nice color!
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Blacked out the chrome on the grill today. Ahhh...so much better.

Also got a 'sun strip' window tint on the upper windshield last week. There is no factory tinting up there so it needed something to combat the "green-house" effect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: