Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #106
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I decided to just check how it feels to have a dirt bike on hitch carrier with my xv. I had it for few months now, and it's really good for the money.
BTW - I am planning to use a trailer, that was a quick test drive. It feels fine, I can carefully drive it to a local dirt bike place if needed. But probably wouldnt go cross country. I installed 2" hitch.

Looks cool, a ktm on a ktm-subaru.

Holy crap though, that hitch is just bolted to sheetmetal on the back of the car. It's rated for about 200lbs of tongue weight. A 250lb bike hanging off the back puts leverage on hitch of about twice that, or close to 500 lbs. You're not kidding - I wouldn't take that cross country either.

I put the CURT hitch on mine for a bicycle carrier and for my bike trailer. I towed the trailer over to the tile store last weekend to get materials, ended up getting 1100lbs of tile, 300lbs of thinset, and the trailer weighs about 650. The car is rated to tow 1500lbs. Man, I wouldn't want to go very far with that load either. Braking was almost scary. And talk about gutless. It did it, but you could tell it was way maxed out.

Keep it light for the 'trek - it's just a 4-banger economy car.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #107
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Holy crap though, that hitch is just bolted to sheetmetal on the back of the car. It's rated for about 200lbs of tongue weight. A 250lb bike hanging off the back puts leverage on hitch of about twice that, or close to 500 lbs. You're not kidding - I wouldn't take that cross country either.

I put the CURT hitch on mine for a bicycle carrier and for my bike trailer. I towed the trailer over to the tile store last weekend to get materials, ended up getting 1100lbs of tile, 300lbs of thinset, and the trailer weighs about 650. The car is rated to tow 1500lbs. Man, I wouldn't want to go very far with that load either. Braking was almost scary. And talk about gutless. It did it, but you could tell it was way maxed out.

That's very cool.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #108
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

Agree. I just wanted to see what would happen. It actually sagged less than Tacoma or 4 runner I used to have. I drove about 3 miles at slow speed.
I am going to use hitch for trials bike only.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #109
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 7,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Agree. I just wanted to see what would happen. It actually sagged less than Tacoma or 4 runner I used to have. I drove about 3 miles at slow speed.
I am going to use hitch for trials bike only.
Yikes! I had a setup like that on my Frontier. With just my WR250F, the truck felt scary to drive. I couldn't imagine it with a Subaru!

BTW: they do look good together (all that orange)!
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #110
duncb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I've had an 06 forester, 06 STI and a 10 outback 3.6R.

I swear by them and will own another, I've just always wanted a truck.

STI was least depreciating car I've ever owned and none of them ever had issues.

Not partucularly efficient compared to what I was driving in Europe but the reliability over VWs in the US more than makes up for it.

D
duncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #111
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
Yikes! I had a setup like that on my Frontier. With just my WR250F, the truck felt scary to drive.
Really? I carried my WR250F all over on my '05 Fronty 4x4. I hardly noticed it was on the back unless it wasn't secured well enough.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #112
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Really? I carried my WR250F all over on my '05 Fronty 4x4. I hardly noticed it was on the back unless it wasn't secured well enough.
Yep, drove like shit. It was a 2005, too (the NISMO). On the highway, the front felt seriously unloaded.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #113
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

So, just dropped off my BRZ to get the fuel pump repaired and they gave me an orange Crosstrek as a loaner.

My impression after a 45 mile drive to work: I like it! Very smooth, very comfortable (though the seats need more side support, or I'm just too used to my BRZ seats) and it proved quite nice for my highway commute. Even better, the mpg gauge read 38 when I arrived at work, without me having to reset it.

I assume this car is equipped with the new 2.0 liter and CVT transmission...

If so, I found that I didn't mind the transmission on this at all. I really, really, seethingly despised the CVT on my Legacy, but this one just seems to fit the vehicle well.

Also, the engine delivered plenty of power and was quite capable.

I guess I really like the car. I may take more backroads this afternoon to get back to the dealer and see how I like the Crosstrek under those conditions.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #114
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
Quote:
So, just dropped off my BRZ to get the fuel pump repaired and they gave me an orange Crosstrek as a loaner.

My impression after a 45 mile drive to work: I like it! Very smooth, very comfortable (though the seats need more side support, or I'm just too used to my BRZ seats) and it proved quite nice for my highway commute. Even better, the mpg gauge read 38 when I arrived at work, without me having to reset it.

I assume this car is equipped with the new 2.0 liter and CVT transmission...

If so, I found that I didn't mind the transmission on this at all. I really, really, seethingly despised the CVT on my Legacy, but this one just seems to fit the vehicle well.

Also, the engine delivered plenty of power and was quite capable.

I guess I really like the car. I may take more backroads this afternoon to get back to the dealer and see how I like the Crosstrek under those conditions.
did you ever get to test it on the backroads?
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #115
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,107
Quote:
If there is only one thing I can contribute to this place, it's this: DO NOT GET A SUBARU CVT!

What a turd of a transmission! My Legacy never felt like it was in the right gear. And something simple, like going from reverse to drive took an agonizingly long second. Trust me, that sounds like nothing, but when experiencing it in a busy parking lot, watch out!

Subaru really ought to ditch the CVT in favor of a DSG type auto.

The worst thing I did was buy that car, the best thing I did was dump it.
haven't you said the same thing about the VW's? do you attract bad cars or do you seek them out then buy them.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #116
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
haven't you said the same thing about the VW's? do you attract bad cars or do you seek them out then buy them.
The Subaru CVT really is a turd of a transmission in the Legacy, but wasn't so bad in the Crosstreck that I drove for all of 100+/- miles.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #117
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad View Post
did you ever get to test it on the backroads?
Nope. Mostly just highway for the day I had it.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #118
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
I've been drooling over these, too. Currently in a '12 beetle turbo. I'd like more utility. Can't wait to test drive one!
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #119
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,243
Quote:
The Subaru CVT really is a turd of a transmission in the Legacy, but wasn't so bad in the Crosstreck that I drove for all of 100+/- miles.
I think they've got the CVT sorted out pretty well now. I test drove a new
Forester with one and thought it worked very well, and I've never really liked automatic transmissions.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #120
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,044
Just about everyone that drives a 'trek with the CVT says it works quite well. The problem with the 2.0/CVT combo is it's only 148hp so if you mash the throttle the little motor buzzes at a constant drone while the trans accellerates the car. The harder you mash it the higher the drone. This is offensive to the senses for some.

But it provides for better fuel economy that even the 5spd manual, and makes for clutchless driving. I really had no choice with wanting to be able to tow mine 4-down behind the RV - the manual can do that while the CVT cannot. I really do like the 5spd, and it's one of the best manual transmissions I've ever driven, albiet pretty long throws and certainly not a performance box like a Porsche.

It's reportedly one of the best mannered CVT's on the market. You really need to go test them and see if it fits your needs and wants.

Some are expecting a more quiet and refined car than it is though, afterall it is an economy car first, all-wheel drive crossover next. It's a great car but surely not to the likes of a premium german car - BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Similar or better to Honda though, better than the new korean cars out there.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: