User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Running from the cops?

Have you ever run from the cops? Have you ever thought about it?

Let me preface the following paragraph by stating that I'm not a squid, I'm a very safe rider, and I do know how to handle myself on a motorcycle. I always ride slower than most of the traffic on the major roadways, and always obey all traffic laws, especially in the heavily congested, heavily patrolled roadways of NoVa.

Having said that, if I were riding a back road at such a speed that I knew I would lose my license if I stopped to receive the citation, I often ponder whether I'd stop and lose my license, or run.

I've never run. Sometimes, however, when I'm riding a fast pace, on roads I know as well as anyone, roads that are off the beaten path and usually not patrolled, I find myself thinking, "I'm going so fast right now, if a cop were coming toward me running radar, and I saw his lights go on, would I stop or actually run?" The risk of running involves losing my privelege to drive/ride if I get caught. However, some of these roads interconnect with other obscure roads, all of which I know as well as anyone, and I'm fairly confident I can ride them as fast and safely as anyone out there, reducing my chances of being caught.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm not interested in your thoughts about me, so if possible, refrain from judging me unless you've ridden with me. But I'd like to know if others ever think about running, and more importantly, would you actually do it?
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
I'm not proud of it, but I have done it a few times. When I was younger and dumber.

It's not like I led a high-speed chase or anything. Each time (three times) I was able to break contact with the cop and disappear into side streets before scooting my butt home as quickly as possible.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak
I'm not proud of it, but I have done it a few times. When I was younger and dumber.

I appreciate your answer. Would you do it today?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Yes

In my youth drag race'n in fast cars for money was our standard Friday and Saturday night fun. We ran from the LEO's more than once when they were in full red light chase mode. As was said, I was very young and very stupid and I'm lucky I'm not dead and no bystander was killed as we ran.

Do it today? Nooooo way; I wish I had not done it then.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Plausible deniability?

You'd need to "break the track" right away.

Once you're in an O.J. type situation with a convoy behind you, it's a little too late. If you're looking back over your shoulder at the cop while you think about it, it's a little too late.

If you roll on, turn the next corner, and they're not bothering to come after you, well, ya beat it that time.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,197
Talking

I've run twice! The first time I was fifteen & the cops were waiting for me at the house when I got home! I was bragging at a friends house when my mother called & told me to come home! Busted!

The second time, years later, I had a passenger at night after leaving a bar! I was riding a XS1100! I made her wear the helmet & I was riding without one ! It was only 4 miles to the apartment! After a short chase and killing the ignition & coasting into the side street where I lived! We were safe! I took her home the next day, but she never returned my calls!
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,197
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
NO!
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG *
I took her home the next day, but she never returned my calls!
Old 02-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Nope. In fact, I haven't attracted the unwanted attentions of the cops in a long time. I guess I just outgrew that stuff to an extent. I do my stupid stuff in the dirt now.

When I was a young sportbike squid, I had a hard time keeping my right wrist from getting heavy.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:51 AM   #10
photojojo
This space for rent!

Oddometer: 470
I would, but I don't think the KLR would last long unless I could find a goat path somewhere.
photojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
I always ride slower than most of the traffic on the major roadways, and always obey all traffic laws, especially in the heavily congested, heavily patrolled roadways of NoVa.
Just curious; do you make a distinction between "traffic laws" and speed limits? Not judging you, because I break the speed limit pretty much every day, as I think many, if not most, people do. Just thought it was interesting that you stated it that way.

To answer your question, I've never run from the cops. Thought about it a couple times, but I've never had a vehicle that could come near out running a cop car. Nor do I have the riding skills to sustain that kind of speed for any length of time without killing myself or someone else.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,720
Around where I live, the police have a no chase policy. So, a lot of sportbikers know this and take advantage. Since I never ride bikes that are cookie-cutter, I will not run from the cops. If I rode just another red CBR or blue yamaha sportbike, I might.
Having said that, the State police here in NC have a "please try to run" policy. A few years back a trooper ran over a motorcyclist he was pursuing while on a bridge. The guy got boxed in and the trooper just ran him over (maybe it was an accident). Noone around here runs from troopers, unless they're squids without L337 5kILL5.

I ran from the cops once when I was younger and driving a hot rod Mercury Cougar. The Crown Vic was quicker and more nimble than I thought. I got away, but don't really want to try that again.

Being the only guy in town who rides a silver BMW K-bike in 14 degree weather, I'd say they all know me by now.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
tphillip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I've never run from the cops. I've pulled over and waited for them to catch up to me, even when I had over a mile lead before they started the chase (80 in a 30 & didn't get a ticket. Spent my life's worth of good Karma on that). It's just not worth the risk and punishment.

That being said, some of my former co-workers did successfully run from the police. Usually by taking an off-ramp & ducking under the bridge before the cop caught up.

As they say "You can outrun the Ford, but you can't outrun the Motorola". And with most cop cars exclusively used for traffic duty having cameras installed in them, you can't outrun "the Sony" either.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 AM   #14
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
Just curious; do you make a distinction between "traffic laws" and speed limits? Not judging you, because I break the speed limit pretty much every day, as I think many, if not most, people do. Just thought it was interesting that you stated it that way.

To answer your question, I've never run from the cops. Thought about it a couple times, but I've never had a vehicle that could come near out running a cop car. Nor do I have the riding skills to sustain that kind of speed for any length of time without killing myself or someone else.
No. I make a distinction between riding down the interstate or through the city, neighborhoods, etc. and having a spirited jaunt through the twisty backroads in the country. People who ride with me get bored pretty quick when riding to and from the good back country roads, because I'm slower than the average guy. When we reach the backroads, however,,,,
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #15
EthanE
Banned

Oddometer: 950
I could a run once.

I was out in Eastern Oregon on a cb750 nighthawk and miles from anywhere on a old two lane highway. My speed was about 95mph. A cop just happened to be coming the opposite direction. Lights on, I pulled over. He walked up and thanked me. Said his partner was no more than 10 miles down the road with a spike chain ready to throw in my path.

Ever since I decided running is bad. Too many cops with radios. Even if I outrun the one behind they'll just be another in front.
EthanE is offline   Reply With Quote