Yes, multiple day tours would be nice 20 14.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #16
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
I worked for a Harley Rentals in Florida for over 4 years in the past and always wondered why there are no more rentals available.

Is motorcycle rental / tour something you would consider doing during a vacation?

Would you prefer a daily ride where you get the bike and some maps and are free, or a guided tour with a local showing you the best places to ride?

If yes, what kind of bike you would like to rent, Dual-Sport, Cruiser, Dirty, Sport, Sport Touring...
I flew to Sarasota and rented a bike there. Was too cold to ride there so the fly and rent made great sense. I'd rather fly and rent to a place if the intervening area was boring or forbidding or like in my case, too cold to weather.

I have no interest in a 'tour'.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
we cannot really base the price comparing to rental cars,
Why not?

I fly into Orlando or LA and need to rent something.

If cost is an object and I can rent a cool car for $50 or a motorcycle for $150, what do you think is going to happen?

If the cost came down, rental agencies could/would rent more motorcycles.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
I would like to open a bike rental, but focused more on the rental as a touristic "attraction", maybe offering mid size dual sports (v-storm for example).

Feedback please??
Great idea!

Price insurance first.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 852
Rented a bike for the first time last year. Buddy and I rented GSs in Las Vegas and spent three days riding in Death Valley.

Not cheap but it gave us an opportunity to ride someplace that was too far for a one week ride. We both have jobs where it's tough to take more that one week of vacation at a time so this was perfect for us.

We had a good experience with BMW of Las Vegas.
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I'm going to the Netherlands to the brother and sister in laws house. No hotel fees, I told my wife to make sure we had at least 3 days so I can rent a 1200 Multistrada and go for a putt in the Alps and other places. No particular place to go, just the Netherlands as a base camp, and awwwwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyy we go.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 2,839
I keep visiting this site... http://www.dubbelju.com/ Renting a bike in SF and riding up and down the coast would be awesome, kinda pricey though....

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #22
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thanks for the link, I'll give them a call. Really close to what I'm looking for, but at the other coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
I keep visiting this site... http://www.dubbelju.com/ Renting a bike in SF and riding up and down the coast would be awesome, kinda pricey though....
ricmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #23
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I have often rented a motorcycle here in Southeast Asia. In Thailand can have a little 110 cc scoot for 150 baht / $US 5.00 a day.... but you need to be a bit careful as they are not insured. Crash the bike, or it it gets stolen, and you are up for the repair or replacement cost, as a couple of Thai friends found out last week.

I would rent in other places too, if the cost was reasonable. I would not be into paying some kind of premium for the "Harley Experience" or whatever. Just something to get around on would be fine.

I am not into the guided tour idea, though I imagine it would suit some people. When I ride around I am more into following where the spirit leads.... getting lost occasionally, and then finding my way again. It is more in keeping with the freedom motorcycling engenders.

None of my tours around the British Isles and Europe, and around these parts have been particularly planned affairs.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #24
Jman
a.k.a. FUglyK

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
This looked interesting up to the point where you read the fine print. $39 to clean the bike after I rented it? What exactly did I pay $169/day to rent it for? Never been charged for cleaning a rental car.

I agree with most of the posts on here, I would love to go more places and rent a bike (that wasn't a Harley) but when the rental fees are 3 - 4 times what I would pay for a nice convertible rental car, I have a harder time justifying it with the wife.

I don't need tours, what I want to see and do doesn't always align so just rent me the bike and let me go.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,369
I agree about the price being a huge issue.

My wife and I wanted to rent bikes in Florida and ride to Key West (boring straight road, I know, but the point was a beach vacation). After working out the numbers, we decided to spend a few days in Ft. Lauderdale, go on a Key West cruise that included Belize and Cozumel, and rent a scooter in Key West for half the price of the Harley rental alone.

We are now planning a trip to the UK during the Isle of Man, and would love to rent bikes. One place rents them for 180 GBP per day! We can rent a Porsche for the same price, or an Abarth Fiat for half that price. We will probably end up renting a bike for one or two days just for the experience, but 3 weeks on a bike would cost us nearly $6,000 US.

If bike rentals were double that of cars, I think there would be a big increase in demand. Pricing around $50/day for a Ninja or Rebel 250, on up to $100/day for Ducati or BMW liter bikes. I would like to rent mid size dual sports/adventure bikes (DR650, XL650, G650GS) for around $75/day in areas with off road opportunities. In cities or in Europe, I would spring for the $100 sportbike (Ducati, CBR, Truimph).
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I agree about the price being a huge issue.

My wife and I wanted to rent bikes in Florida and ride to Key West (boring straight road, I know, but the point was a beach vacation). After working out the numbers, we decided to spend a few days in Ft. Lauderdale, go on a Key West cruise that included Belize and Cozumel, and rent a scooter in Key West for half the price of the Harley rental alone.

We are now planning a trip to the UK during the Isle of Man, and would love to rent bikes. One place rents them for 180 GBP per day! We can rent a Porsche for the same price, or an Abarth Fiat for half that price. We will probably end up renting a bike for one or two days just for the experience, but 3 weeks on a bike would cost us nearly $6,000 US.

If bike rentals were double that of cars, I think there would be a big increase in demand. Pricing around $50/day for a Ninja or Rebel 250, on up to $100/day for Ducati or BMW liter bikes. I would like to rent mid size dual sports/adventure bikes (DR650, XL650, G650GS) for around $75/day in areas with off road opportunities. In cities or in Europe, I would spring for the $100 sportbike (Ducati, CBR, Truimph).
I did that ride on a rented RT. I found it quite enjoyable. There is more to riding (to me) than turning.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
vaara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
This looked interesting up to the point where you read the fine print. $39 to clean the bike after I rented it? What exactly did I pay $169/day to rent it for? Never been charged for cleaning a rental car.

I agree with most of the posts on here, I would love to go more places and rent a bike (that wasn't a Harley) but when the rental fees are 3 - 4 times what I would pay for a nice convertible rental car, I have a harder time justifying it with the wife.

I don't need tours, what I want to see and do doesn't always align so just rent me the bike and let me go.
The $39 fee applies only to rentals of 3 days or longer -- most rentals are for a day or two. And as you may be aware, cleaning a motorcycle is a bit more involved than washing a car... Besides, the daily rate goes way down once you hit 3 days anyway.

Interestingly, of all the bikes Dubbelju rents (V-Stroms, Versyseseses, various BMWs and Triumphs, Harleys®™©, the odd Shadow), the most expensive one -- the Multistrada 1200 -- is also among the most popular.

I think the high cost of motorcycle rentals can be attributed to several factors: (1) lack of fleet pricing for motorcycles; (2) high percentage of rentals that come back with crash or tip-over damage (cars don't tip over much); (3) insurance costs; and -- in the case of Dubbelju at least -- (4) the cost of doing business in an expensive city like San Francisco without a major corporation to back you up.

But having compared Dubbelju's costs with certain others (e.g. Jupiter in NYC, Big Boyz Toyz in Perth -- with whom I rented an ST1100 ten years ago, and who now want $255/day for an F800GS!) they're really not that far out of line. I could go into the various discounts they offer, but that might be construed as advertising.

vaara screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 09:43 AM
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
I really appreciate all the feedback, it is just like having a board of directors for free

I understand that cost is a big deal, and I agree with it, I would not rent if the price is way too high, but again, comparing bike rental with car rental prices is not realistic.

Here are some points that one has to consider on the price.

Maintenance costs, bike maintenance is much higher cost than car, tires worn much faster foe example and the replacement tire has to be included,

Road Side assistance costs: again much higher on a bike, you can rent a car from any company and they give you a road side assistance, same with the bike, but let’s say you have a flat tire, on most cars, the assistance can either replace with the spare, or many times fix the tire on the spot and get you back on the road, this is not possible with a motorcycle, unless the rental company has a available bike to swap with you, you have to wait till they tow you to a repair shop and get a new tire put in.

Demand: you fly to any town and it is raining, you rent a car, but not a bike, even if they are same cost. Same would apply if the temperature is too high or low, are you alone, vacation or business trip, all these are factors that make cars much more “rentable” than bikes. These are some examples why cars are sitting on the rental lot much less than bikes.

For example, I rented a car twice in the last month, I don’t have a car of my own, only a bike, last month my boss asked me to go visit an place 120 miles away, temperature was in the low 40’s and I decided that it would be much better rent a car than riding, the company would pay me the miles or the rental so $$ was not the deciding factor, comfort was; the second time my bike didn't start and later broke the throttle cable, I had to take my daughter to school and go to work, the temp was in the low 30’s, again I rented a car. Both times money wasn't the deal breaker, but the car got it my business.

I’m still looking for all the costs and this discussion is helping a lot to make sure everything is on my list, so let’s keep it coming.
ricmachado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
vaara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Demand: you fly to any town and it is raining, you rent a car, but not a bike, even if they are same cost. Same would apply if the temperature is too high or low, are you alone, vacation or business trip, all these are factors that make cars much more “rentable” than bikes. These are some examples why cars are sitting on the rental lot much less than bikes.
Yes, exactly. I was just going to come back here and point out that the moto-rental business is seasonal -- in some places more than others, but winter is definitely a "dead" time even here in relatively temperate San Francisco. I'd estimate that about 75% of Dubbelju's rentals occur between April and October. The rest of the time the bikes are mostly just sitting there; it's possible to take them off insurance for the winter, but depreciation never sleeps.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Cost is the key, especially for multi-day rentals. If it was $200 for the first day and $50 a day after or something, that could work.

When my wife and I went to Hawaii a couple years ago, we rented a H-D Road King for a day to cruise around Maui on, and a couple hundred bucks was a reasonable expense in the context of the trip.

OTOH, I was considering at one point flying back to CA and renting a Ducati HyperMotard to ride to Laguna Seca and back for the MotoGP. Although the price per day was about the same as that H-D rental had been, a 5 or 6 day trip comes to well over a grand for just the bike, and that's a lot less justifiable.

Another time I looked into it was when I had a lowside on my regular bike (which is my main transportation). The bike was in the shop waiting for parts, and I had mashed my left foot up a bit so I couldn't shift a regular bike. I looked into what it would cost to rent a Vespa for a few weeks, and that was way too much. Cheaper than the Harley or Duc, but still $75 a day, with no discounts for multiple days, which would have been over a grand for the three weeks I would have wanted it. For that, it would have been a lot cheaper to just buy a good used one, and sell it afterward.

I recognize that the economies of scale aren't there, and the risks are higher, and all of that. But at 5 times the cost of a car, renting a bike doesn't make much sense for more than a couple of days at a time.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (220,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote