Yes, daily guided tours will be nice 9 5.23%
Yes, depending where it is, rental or tour. 52 30.23%
Yes, multiple day tours would be nice 26 15.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #61
ricmachado OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Thank you all for the repplies, please keep them comming.

The company I worked was called American Road Collectoin, we were an authorized HD rental but our shops were standing alone.

Being authorized HD was good due to the deals for buyng and turnig bikes back, the depretiation was on contract and value was set.

the good was always having new bikes, (never older than 18 months or 18k miles) the bad was always having to buy new bikes and for HD to accept them they had to be in showroom condition. without a doubt, you could not pick our bikes from the new ones on the showroom without looking at the speedo. (except for heritage that had those bags that always got saggy)

I do believe that if available, mid size bikes (non crtuisers) can have enough demand to keep a shop running.

but we have to be realistic and know that a 50 dollar day is a very hard to achieve goal because the demand I don't think will ever be that great.

right now I'm creating the business model plan to present my former boss next month where he will look over and give me some advise.

I'm living in Charlotte, NC, no a whole lote of riding here, but we are 2 hours from mountains, near a major airport, and not too far from beach.

I would however relocate if I find a location to better fit to the business model.

Again, thatks all for the feedback and please keep them comming, both good and bad.
ricmachado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #62
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit-rider View Post
To me, many of the rental companies seem to think that customers just want a huge great Harley/Wing, because it's a one off 'special occasion' holiday for some.. it's their dream and so they 'think' big is best. In our case recently, the rental company found it weird that we only wanted "small bikes"..lol..mind you they still charged us £100 ($155) per day, per bike, ours were 4-5 years old and covered in dents & damage, while the HD range and Gold-wings rentals in the shop were like new, low mileage and immaculate, that in itself shows the thought process when supplying middleweight rentals.

With bikes more popular today than ever, and how Japanese, British, German, Italian bikes are such common place on the roads today, we still only have a very limited choice if we want to rent a bike in certain parts of the US.. and it's usually too big and too heavy for what many 'really' need from a bike. To be honest we'd prefer to rent middleweight bikes over the larger ones any day, something we can reach the ground on, be able to push around without getting a hernia, and wouldn't even mind if it was a few years old as long as it was looked after, well serviced and priced acordingly. I don't see the need to have to rent huge great bikes when today's middleweights are so good, so something like an ER6, SV650, CB500 etc would be great.
We listened and cater common sense vs bling rentals.... but to so many people, so many colours... Its good to have choices.
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #63
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Rented a Harley near Charlotte a couple years ago and a DRZ400SM near in Pigeon Forge last summer.
Both times just for a day during the family vacation. If its a bike vacation Im probably going to ride there on my Vstrom.
I rented the Harley because it was the only thing available near Charlotte. Had a good time riding to Asheville on the Blueridge Parkway with my FIL (a harley rider).
I rented the DRZ to ride Deals Gap and the area on a free day during a family vacation in TN/NC. This was the perfect bike for a single day ride in that area. Especially for a rider less experienced with tight twisty roads.
I wish it was easier to find non HDs for rent and that the prices were a little better. From what Ive seen price has little to do with the model. It costs more for the DRZ than the touring HD my FIL rode. Even loaded BMWs and Goldwings were only a small price differential from the DRZ.

If I was to do an riding trip in Baja or other off road adventure out west a "rent and tour" would be a nice option. Just getting there would kill many miles and having a tour operator carry luggage and provide mech support would allow traveling lighter. That would be a nice option especially if I could only get a week off at a time.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #64
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
If I was to do an riding trip in Baja or other off road adventure out west a "rent and tour" would be a nice option. Just getting there would kill many miles and having a tour operator carry luggage and provide mech support would allow traveling lighter. That would be a nice option especially if I could only get a week off at a time.
If you want an on-road tour, you would have a hard time finding a better group than: http://www.pashnittours.com/
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #65
E.O.T.D.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
If your starting a company would definitely take a look at Edelweiss Bike Travel. They are a worldwide company and have their stuff together for sure.
Most of their "tours" seem to be a lot more adventure rider than Harley. As a matter of fact I don't think they even have any harley's or cruisers in their fleet. They have on and off road semi-guided tours, some with all hotel stays and some with camping arranged.

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/cont/def/home.html

My whole family rented 1200RTs from them when we traveled to Scotland. You do have to sign up for a "tour". It's not just a show up and rent a bike type of thing. The whole purpose of the trip for us was to tour the country on bikes as a family. My mom rode with dad and my sister with me. They helped arrange anything we wanted and delivered the bikes to the hotel at the start of the tour. There was a group of people all there for this tour about 8 or 10 maybe) and they had a briefing every morning with breakfast supplied and they told you where the day would end and where there would be a lunch stop. Lunch stop was optional if you went somewhere else. They had hand marked maps, tips and directions for anyone that wanted them. There were spare bikes and support trucks that carried the bulk of your luggage every day. If you wanted to ride with a guide and the group you could. We rode by ourselves a lot and explored a little more. As long as you were at the hotel (that was already booked and paid for) that night and they knew you (and the bike) were alive that's all that seemed to matter. It was a blast and I never got that Cruise ship type strict time regimen feeling. And Scotland. WOW. soooo beautiful. We were lucky enough to have 10 days of good weather. IN SCOTLAND!? We only got rained on a total of maybe 2 or 3 hours the whole time.

Yes it was expensive, but they have figured out their demographic and supply a WHOLE lot of value for the money. We had home (or road)- cooked meals that the guides cooked, they were knowledgeable (and ready) about how to fix any issues we had on the bikes and they would buy you drinks at night at the hotel bar : and come for your bags in the morning at your room door. It really was a trip of a lifetime and I will be doing it again with my girlfriend at some point.

They have a Cape town to Nairobi tour that crosses 7 Countries. 48 days and 5,200 miles! Not sure the price of that one but it would be nice to have a little backup on a trip like that. Especially at the border crossings.

http://www.edelweissbike.com/en/allT...on-africa.html

I don't have anything to do with his company, just impressed by it.
E.O.T.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #66
davemon
High Speed Airhead

Oddometer: 112
Rentals

Have tried to rent bikes in Turkey and Mexico. Both were more expensive and tried to sell you a tour instead of just a rental. Hard to compete with the cost of renting a car which is hassle free.
davemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #67
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Self Guided

I've done two self guided bike rental tours, Europe in 2007 and New Zealand in 2011. Both trips were on high end bikes (R1200GS) but nothing else from the rental agency. The cost for the bikes was upwards of $125/day unlimited mileage. I put about 400-500km/day on the bike and both times the rental agency wasn't too happy about the amount of miles I put on their bikes. Other than a flat tire in Belguim that messed up my plans a bit (lost riding time in the Ardennes), both trips went well.

I'm tentatively planning a trip to southern Spain, Andalucia, for the early spring of 2014. I'll more than likely rent another R1200GS and it will probably cost about E100/day plus fuel, there will probably be an excess mileage charge as well. I'll work out my own route plan with probably two nights at each destination. That type of schedule works good for me, one transit day followed by a day of 'local' riding, exploring, getting lost, finding good local food, etc.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:44 AM   #68
alintransylvania
Transylvania Riders

Oddometer: 28
A fleet of new BMW bikes for rent in Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Actually I'm planning to do this later in the year in Romania -- rent a bike with luggage and a pre-programmed GPS, and off I go...

Hi! I hope your trip to Romania is still going forward. For bike rental with metallic top case and side cases+ GPS with updated maps of Eastern Europe I would recommend you Adventure Motorcycle Tours an licensed tour operator and BMW Motorrad Travel partner- check my post here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956282
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #69
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
I've rented 5 times in the last 17 years. I have gotten Triumphs 3 times ,H-D once and an older XT 600 Yamaha in Costa Rica.
The first time was a 900 Thunderbird from Cruise America. Pretty painless ,$79 per day for 6 days ,in Oakland ,Ca. I rode as far south as Big Sur and north to Muir Woods across the Golden Gate. The majority of time was spent at Laguna Seca. I put about 1200 miles on that one.
Next was a Road King in Vegas. Rode Death Valley ,2 up ,and spent a lot of time at Las Vegas Speedway for Ducati Revs America. Put 1100 miles on.
Then for my 50th B-day I flew to Costa Rica, and rented the XT 600 for 5 days /1100 miles.
Last year a Tiger 800 in Ca. for 3 days 800 miles. This year a TT 100 in Ca. for 2 days and 750 miles.
Next year my son and I plan to fly to Austria for a 8 day Eidelweis Tour . That will be my first "tour" , the rest have been "follow your nose " riding.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #70
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricmachado View Post
I worked for a Harley Rentals in Florida for over 4 years in the past and always wondered why there are no more rentals available.

Is motorcycle rental / tour something you would consider doing during a vacation?

Would you prefer a daily ride where you get the bike and some maps and are free, or a guided tour with a local showing you the best places to ride?

If yes, what kind of bike you would like to rent, Dual-Sport, Cruiser, Dirty, Sport, Sport Touring...
Maybe it's just me. I would just soon use my own bike here in the continental North America. If I can ever get the money and time off though, I'd like to tour Europe on a rental bike.
I have to ask, are most of the renters American/ Canadian or from across the pond? In either direction.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #71
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
Maybe it's just me. I would just soon use my own bike here in the continental North America. If I can ever get the money and time off though, I'd like to tour Europe on a rental bike.
I have to ask, are most of the renters American/ Canadian or from across the pond? In either direction.
When I rented the 800 Tiger in L.A. last fall ,there was a Dane returning a different Tiger when I got there. When I took it back there had been a group of Germans that had just left after turning in Harleys. It 's a popular option for overseas visitors. And gas ,food and lodging can be cheaper in the U.S.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:45 AM   #72
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,032
I just signed up for a rental in Germany from my old Honda dealer. 3.5 days, NC700X, 150€ including 900kms.

No doubt I got a deal because I have bought a bike from them. However, their prices are great and rentals over here are so common. And the diversity of bikes that they rent is silly - you can get everything from a baby CBR to a Goldwing. I wanted a CBR250R for the weekend, but trying out the NC sounds fun, too. Typically dealers are much cheaper than the regular car rental shops.

Sixt rents BMWs, and has a big assortment. I actually might go with them for my Alps trip because they have locations closer to where I will ride.

Faßbender, the dealer I like in Germany, is cheaper for the weekend.

This is all ride and go. It works better if you have a German license and bank account, that is for sure!
Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #73
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

The price is great for 3.5 days , the restriction on mileage is severe. By my calculations 900 km = 549 miles or 156 miles per day. If I show up in a place I've never been before and rent a motorcycle , I will be ready to put on a lot more miles than that.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #74
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
3. Scotch new bikes. I'm not renting to try out a new K16LT or Duc Multistrada. I see a dealer for that. I want to ride in the new area and would be thrilled to do so on a used Versys or a Zook Bandit 1200 or dozens of other bikes you can both source for $5 AND maintain easily. In short, I'd eagerly rent a Versys or a Ninja 250 or a Honda 250L for $50 / day but bridle at that Multistrada at the $200 / day you'd need to charge to cover the obvious extra costs.

This!^^

Whenever I have to travel on business, to some decent riding places, Las Vegas, SoCal, etc..., and there is nothing to rent except overweight and overpriced pigs HD's, cruisers, Wings for $200+ a day.

Sure would be nice to rent a Strom, Versys, Ninja 650, FZ6, NC700X, well you get the picture, to enjoy some riding on my days off.

I would think since you can pick-up most of these bikes slightly used for $5K all day long that you could rent them for say $75 or less a day.

I know V-Stroms and know that you can find them cheap used with low miles and they will go over 100K easy, and are low maintenance and very reliable.

I don't need a new $20K bike to enjoy some riding.

Can someone make this business model work?

khager screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 05:11 PM
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #75
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
This!^^

Whenever I have to travel on business, to some decent riding places, Las Vegas, SoCal, etc..., and there is nothing to rent except overweight and overpriced pigs HD's, cruisers, Wings for $200+ a day.

Sure would be nice to rent a Strom, Versys, Ninja 650, FZ6, NC700X, well you get the picture, to enjoy some riding on my days off.

I would think since you can pick-up most of these bikes slightly used for $5K all day long that you could rent them for say $75 or less a day.

I know V-Stroms and know that you can find them cheap used with low miles and they will go over 100K easy, and are low maintenance and very reliable.

I don't need a new $20K bike to enjoy some riding.

Can someone make this business model work?
Folks I rented from in New Zealand had several Wee-Stroms. The one I rented had 135K on it and ran like new except for notchy steering head bearings. They told me the 650 V-Stroms had the lowest operating cost per mile by far, compared to everything else in their fleet,, including a few smaller capacity bikes.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote