Yes, multiple day tours would be nice 26 15.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #76
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
The price is great for 3.5 days , the restriction on mileage is severe. By my calculations 900 km = 549 miles or 156 miles per day. If I show up in a place I've never been before and rent a motorcycle , I will be ready to put on a lot more miles than that.
Totally agree with you on that. In the Alps, 300kms per day is not so bad, but around here, it's quite a limit. Thankfully, the extra kms are not that bad. Some dealers allow you to buy km extension packs for cheaper up front.

Also, to be clear - there are plenty of not-that-adventurous riders over here in Germany, too. For every IB person, there are probably twenty five or fifty or a hundred people with a bike in their garage that gets 500kms a year. So 300/day is probably a fair average.

atomicalex screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 11:52 AM
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #77
tlub
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Just did it a few weeks ago

I rented an R1200RT and R1200GS for about 6 days combined in the SF area, but toured down to San Luis Obisbo and up to Mendocino, and over to the Sierras. I put on about 1700 miles From Monday through Saturday, and rented from California Motorcycle Adventures. It was a great experience, both dealing with them and doing the ride. The idea was a vacation combined with an extended test drive to see whether I should even think about a new BMW, or whether my collection of airheads from 55-76 is good enough.
However, I fear that week of rental may end up costing me far more than the 200 per day I paid.
It was the most fun I have had with my clothes on in a while.
If you look at it as a way to get a really long test drive in, it was definitely worth it.
For just transportation, it's hard to beat a car rental per mile when you have unlimited mileage.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote