User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
uconnapharm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
SV 650 vs V-Strom 650 Curiosity Question

Talking , strictly on-road ; if I ran a SV 650 all around town on every type of road and situation and then did the same with a V-Strom 650 ;
what would I notice that was different in how the two performed ?
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
HiSPL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
The Strom would be slightly better around town due to it's engine being tuned for a little more torque.

The sit up and beg riding position is easier for commuting and there's more storage space with the stock rack and generous seat.

The Strom has *some* wind and weather protection

The Strom has cushier suspension too.

The SV would be the go if you had any twisty highway bits in your commuting and could open the throttle up a little more on occassion.
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
gmccon
Banned

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm
Talking , strictly on-road ; if I ran a SV 650 all around town on every type of road and situation and then did the same with a V-Strom 650 ;
what would I notice that was different in how the two performed ?
i had the sv for a year or so. sweet bike. ideal for cutting in and out of traffic. so if you're going to commute in town, it would have to be the sv. for everything else, probably the strom
gmccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
For street only I'd think the SV would be much better. It will stick in corners better thanks to sport bike sized tires/compunds, it is much lighter, physically smaller, more powerfull and of course better handling. The DL would be more comfortable and have more wind protection. I wouldn't worry too much about comfort though - I have no problem doing 1k+ mile days on my TL (sportbike). Only thing that would sway me from an SV to a DL for pure street riding would be fuel range and pillion comfort. If either is a top priority the DL is what you need. If not, your on the 'SV's turff IMO.
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
rlsrls
SV650, 1200GS

Oddometer: 93
Both are great bikes. I have an SV(naked) and A 1200 GS and I choose to ride the SV over the GS for any trips: less then 4 days, 2 up, or when I need to load the bike up with full camping gear, etc...

To me the SV is just plain fun to ride. Its light and responsive and fairly comfortable. I have bar risers and a givi wind screen that provides just the right amount of wind protection for me and does not have any buffeting or turblent wind noise like GS or DL. The DL is also an awsome bike but it is heavier and it carries its weight higher. The DL that I have ridden from time to time suffered pretty extreem wind buffeting. This could probably be solved by an aftermarket wind screen.

So, if you plan on taking regular multi day trips or ride 2 up the DL will most likely be better, otherwise I would recommend the SV.
rlsrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
I own a Wee-Strom and have put several hundred miles on a SV (the S model, with the half-fairing and clip-ons). The Stromís gearing is shorter, and better suited to the engine. The Strom is more compliant and controlled over bumps, especially when leaned over. The Strom steers better (the SVís goofy 120/60 front tire does weird things to the handling, IMHO). The Stromís ergos are much better suited to riding in trafficóthe handlebar gives you more leverage and control, while the sitting position affords you a much better view of all around you. The Stromís mirrors are better. The Strom is more comfortable. The Strom has better fuel range. The Strom is better for carrying a passenger, or luggage.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 339
If you're gonna riding around the Storrs area, the Strom will be much better for running through the Cow fields
Old 12-14-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
uconnapharm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
To radon222

Is it not AMAZING how top-flight basketball players desire to live surrounded by cow fields ? ( Storrs , CT is home to UCONN )
No , actually , my riding is done mainly in the western hills of Connecticut.
( Litchfield County remains picturesque and rural , despite the urban sprawl of the rest of the state )
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #9
radon222
1150GS-ADV

Oddometer: 339
That is a wonderful area of the State. I grew up in Naugatuck not too far away. Well hell nothing in CT is really that far away from anything lol.

Storrs isn't THAT bad....I spend a wonderful 4 years of my life year. The parts I can remember at least
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
I own a Wee-Strom and have put several hundred miles on a SV (the S model, with the half-fairing and clip-ons). The Stromís gearing is shorter, and better suited to the engine. The Strom is more compliant and controlled over bumps, especially when leaned over. The Strom steers better (the SVís goofy 120/60 front tire does weird things to the handling, IMHO). The Stromís ergos are much better suited to riding in trafficóthe handlebar gives you more leverage and control, while the sitting position affords you a much better view of all around you. The Stromís mirrors are better. The Strom is more comfortable. The Strom has better fuel range. The Strom is better for carrying a passenger, or luggage.

Tim, just what is it you are trying to say here?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #11
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman

Tim, just what is it you are trying to say here?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #12
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 948
I used to ride an SV standard; put almost 30K on it before I gave it to the wife...wonderfule bike. A hell of a lot of fun. I did solo tours on it, loaded with soft juggage and a GIVI windscreen. Loved the engine, the way it handled, snappy performance, adequate brakes, and I thought it was really comfy. Only 150 miles from a tank, though. If the wife didn't want it, I would not have parted with it, but it is still at my disposal

I ride a V strom now. Better all around bike, and better commuter IMO, but doesn't have that "whip my ass into every corner attitude." Still fun, but different feel. Good engine, doesn't seem as rev happy, but will get there. I prefer the Strom...you lose a bit of the hooligan feel, but it is a more grown up motorcycle. Plus it is fun passing squids on something with hard luggage-a sick sense of satisfaction being fast on something that is not supposed to be.

The SV it felt as if you were riding fast, and wanted to ride fast, but the Strom seems to be sneaky fast. The strom is more comfortable, has better suspension, and stable. The SV took direction changes NOW, where the strom is nimble, but will hold a line better.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Yogi Kuddha
n00b

Oddometer: 4
"sneaky fast" is right! (DL1000) Sleeper bike, so tough it don't need to advertise it.
Yogi Kuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I have a 2nd GEN SV N model and use it quite a bit for everything street. I commute on it, have done long hauls with a suite of soft luggage, and it does track days with aplomb. Great bike and you won't do wrong if you were to use one as an everyday bike. I like the Strom but I can't make any comments on it because I have never ridden one.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 865
I picked up a left over 04 DL1000 in 1/05 and rode it till 3/08 when it was totaled,i now ride a left over 03 SV1000 that i picked up in 5/08. they are both great bikes but the dl is an easier bike to ride fast.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote