Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
You are basically the perfect size for a Ninja 250 or CBR250R. The only way to outgrow those bikes is to literally be too big for them, which you are not. There isn't a man alive who can't have fun with a 250 in the twisties and either bike will be able to cruise fine with your weight double digits above the speed limit on the highway, if that really is your thing.

They really are the perfect platform for learning, light, nimble, flick-able, cheap, replaceable, and easy to buy and sell. Besides, it's really too early in your riding career to start following bad advice like "you will outgrow a 250 quickly".
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #17
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
FZ6= GOOD! Delta box frame, good swing-arm, good brakes, good suspension, good seat...

FZ6R is Lame by comparison. Steel tuber frame, Adequate brakes, swing arm, suspension, seat.
I actually thought the opposite after a quick spin on both. True, looking at the spec sheet you'd expect the FZ6 to be better, but after riding both the FZ6R is worlds more refined and accessible. Don't knock the FZ6R until you've tried it.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
I actually thought the opposite after a quick spin on both. True, looking at the spec sheet you'd expect the FZ6 to be better, but after riding both the FZ6R is worlds more refined and accessible. Don't knock the FZ6R until you've tried it.
I have.... More than "a quick spin" One is a beginner bike aimed at the female market (FZ6R)

and one is a real motorcycle (FZ6)

They are both good bikes but are VERY different.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Versys

I test rode a Versys at Kawasakd Demo Days and if I wasn't 6'2', I'd probably have one by now, gorilla on a tricycle. The engine and 6 speed tranny was snappy.

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
I am all for 300 cc and under for starter bikes, actually if I tell you that I choose 125 cc as a started bike, would that make me look like a little girly man? Well I did, why? because I had the feeling that maybe motorcycles could not be for me, and buying a 650 (the "minimum" for a man's bike, so say some) I would have spend so much more and crash very fast, so instead I learn to ride, 1 year all types of roads, off road (it was a DP bike).

I was 27 years old when I first rode by first bike, and even do I felt ready with in 2-3 months I decided I would continue with this small bike so I could have more experience and think what I wanted to do with the bike.

So, have you look at the ninja 300? with abs? if you are open to used bikes then there are many bikes out there. Take a look at the DP bikes such as the KLX250 from kawasaki and the other ones have mention.

Somebody recommended the Vstrom 650 and it is a nice bike, and at your height it is very doable, but it is all about confidence, I stand at 5'8" and have a KLR with a 35 in seat height and my inseam is only 30" and no problem!

Damasovi
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #21
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

There really aren't any bad bikes out there anymore. If you get a chance to check out the new Honda CB500, they are an intriguing option at about $6k new, with available factory luggage, ABS if you want it, etc. Would be an ideal first bike, in all likelihood.
No doubt. I think that 500 will catch on as an incredible adult entry level bike. Yeah, the 250's can get it done, but get them up at elevation and need to make a pass on a short straight stretch in the mountains and you'll want more. New riders just don't realize how damn fast you can go from zero to in over my head on a 600 class bike. They'll easily outpace the fastest production sports cars. So the 500 class bikes in a mild state of tune should provide all the power one would ever reasonably need, but allow a little more room for error than the 600 class bikes. At Honda's price point, one of their 500 bikes with ABS and hard bags options should be very appealing to an adult entry rider then serve that rider well indefinitely.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #22
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 91
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
No doubt. I think that 500 will catch on as an incredible adult entry level bike. Yeah, the 250's can get it done, but get them up at elevation and need to make a pass on a short straight stretch in the mountains and you'll want more. New riders just don't realize how damn fast you can go from zero to in over my head on a 600 class bike. They'll easily outpace the fastest production sports cars. So the 500 class bikes in a mild state of tune should provide all the power one would ever reasonably need, but allow a little more room for error than the 600 class bikes. At Honda's price point, one of their 500 bikes with ABS and hard bags options should be very appealing to an adult entry rider then serve that rider well indefinitely.
lots of good sense right there.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #23
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,762
Quote:
At Honda's price point, one of their 500 bikes with ABS and hard bags options should be very appealing to an adult entry
rider then serve that rider well indefinitely.
If at some point I wear out my FZ6, I may even consider a change back to the 500 class. Easy on gas, 120 front and 160 rear tires are available in proper dual compound sport touring models, and for the first time in years I'd have a bike I can actually run through the gears without hitting go-to-jail speeds.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I dont think that bigger enging means that you to be more advanced to driv them. Ofcourse a BMW S1000RR,Hayabusa etc etc itsent the optimal beginer bike, but that dosent mean that you have to limit your choices to under a certein engin size.
For comuting,contry side riding and touring you cant realy go wrong with a Suzuki GSF 1200/1250 Bandit. Its a solid build bike and its not a power monster. Delivers the power in a easy controleble way and you dont have to be sceard to use the throtle in a normal way. A Bandit will give you a lot of bike for your money.
But if you want a bike in the 600cc class, i whould have gone for the Kawasaki 650 engin in either the shape of versys or Ninja.
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Plenty of good suggestions in here, I'd take a look at the suzuki gsx650f as well. Maturity plays a decent factor in what a guy should start out with, as long as you stray away from the hyper bikes I suspect you'd likely keep your self out of trouble, but there is something to be said for building confidence and learning lessons on a small nimble bike.

It's gotten to be where sport-tourer is a very broad term, it applies to anything smaller than a goldwing that's not a cruiser to the 250 entry level sport bikes. It's a matter of what fits the budget and what you are comfortable on. I'm 5'10" as well, I did take a versys for a quick spin and while I liked alot of things about it I didn't care for it's level of vibration, may have been more "that bike" than all of them certainly not sure.

Exactly what are your goals for this bike? You did state weekend rides, you thinking local back roads or interstate travel to cover some distance to get to new places? Some bikes travel better at 60mph than they do a 75mph and I wouldn't personally ride the interstate unless my bike would run at least 90 for brief runs.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #26
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,918
Honda has just released a trio of 500CC parallel twin bikes that should suit you rather well. I would not reccomend a DL650 -- everyone loves to reccomend this bike, but it is not a good bike for a total n00b. It is very tall, very heavy, very wide and suffers from a multitude of aerodynamic and buffeting problems. They are also difficult to get comfortable on without spending a lot of money on new bars and seat combinations.

You would also be well served with a Ninja 500 -- they are ubiquitous and simple. I'm 6'2" and still own a Ninja 250 because it's so damn fun to ride. It's not a great interstate bike, but it does everything else fabulously. I am cramped on it, and I am lighter than the OP so in reality, it's probably on the physically small side for him. I still reccomend it for a first bike though.

Ninja 650 is the most HP I would evern consider if I were in the OP's situation.

NT700? Blech. We want the OP to be interested in motorcycles, not two-wheeled Honda Hatchbacks.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #27
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
This one is perfect for a nOOb (or experienced rider)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860104
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
Plenty of good suggestions in here, I'd take a look at the suzuki gsx650f as well. Maturity plays a decent factor in what a guy should start out with, as long as you stray away from the hyper bikes I suspect you'd likely keep your self out of trouble, but there is something to be said for building confidence and learning lessons on a small nimble bike.

It's gotten to be where sport-tourer is a very broad term, it applies to anything smaller than a goldwing that's not a cruiser to the 250 entry level sport bikes. It's a matter of what fits the budget and what you are comfortable on. I'm 5'10" as well, I did take a versys for a quick spin and while I liked alot of things about it I didn't care for it's level of vibration, may have been more "that bike" than all of them certainly not sure.

Exactly what are your goals for this bike? You did state weekend rides, you thinking local back roads or interstate travel to cover some distance to get to new places? Some bikes travel better at 60mph than they do a 75mph and I wouldn't personally ride the interstate unless my bike would run at least 90 for brief runs.
The GSX is a fantastic bike. I don't think it's a great beginner bike though. It's really fast and it's heavy. Top heavy at that.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #29
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,762
Quote:
The GSX is a fantastic bike. I don't think it's a great beginner bike though. It's really fast and it's heavy. Top heavy at that.
People recommend the FZ6 all the time too. Ummm, no. 98hp in a 420lb bike with a terrible clutch and a huge surge of power in the upper rev range. It is a terrible n00b bike.

Those Honda 500s have my eye, for sure. Pick whichever one is your style.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
blackfoot36
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I vote for the 1200 Bandit

I agree with Tom-Nor's earlier post:

"For comuting,contry side riding and touring you cant realy go wrong with a Suzuki GSF 1200/1250 Bandit. Its a solid build bike and its not a power monster. Delivers the power in a easy controleble way and you dont have to be sceard to use the throtle in a normal way. A Bandit will give you a lot of bike for your money"

'01-'05 Bandits with lower milage can be had for less than $4K most everywhere, considerably cheaper in some markets. After a bit of riding you'll know if you want to stay at it, and will know better what type of bike is for you. I owned an '03 and the bike was great, I really wish my low back loved the bike as much as the rest of me did. My buddy has had an '05 for several years and can't say enough good things about it.
blackfoot36 is offline   Reply With Quote