User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #76
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,196
Your right, it sucks.

If you can't appreciate the light transition "flickability" and that the HP is the least impressive factor of the engine output, well, have you ridden one? It is a midrange engine. Yeah, shouldn't be but it is. Mine is knocking on 42 RWHP these days so I forget how weak it was stock.

I take it back, OP, don't even consider a Ninja 300. Horrible choice for anyone, whether you are a new rider or well seasoned vet. Don't settle for less than 72 HP and 420 lbs. You can't survive without it.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #77
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I have ridden one and it was a lot of fun. Although not even close to the WR250X I had at the time which was much more practical for me: nice open seating position, nearly the same power, two sets of wheels (street and dirt), excellent suspension.

Downside: it's high. And expensive. I paid about the same as for a new Ninja 300, but the WR was a year old and had 700 miles on it.

From my perspective the Ninja 300 is a great back road screamer, lots of fun with the light weight and an engine you can rev and wring. But I wouldn't want to do any touring on it. The leg position for me is super uncomfortable (34" inseam), lean forward isn't too bad, still too much plastic for a beginner bike in my opinion, but okay, if it's cheap enough.

I'd always prefer a 500 to 600cc twin over a 250cc for anything that has to do with more relaxed riding or anything that includes longer distance. Not that it can't be done of course, I just plain wouldn't want to. It comes down that not everything that's possible is also a good idea.

Sure, everybody is different, so the Ninjette might be a good option, if you fit, and if it fits your riding profile and what you expect from a bike.

I would just not try to argue for one with power-to-weight ratio or sport touring comfort ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #78
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I'm a huge SM fan, one is always in the garage. Great bikes for their specific task.

The 300 stock is geared way too short and the power falls flat at around 10,500. Geared +1 CS it isn't tall, just normal. For long distance it can easily pull more gear, and a tune puts the power out right to the soft limiter at 12,500. Then it is a screamer. As delivered it never needs to clear about 8k for keeping way ahead of normal traffic.

The new engine, IMO, puts it right in the park where the old Ninja 500 was, but it has a wider gear spread by my estimates as I had to drop the EX500 gearing to be acceptable in the role of commuter/back roader/touring bike.

We had a WRR in the fleet for a year, my 300 would walk it stock and I'm just bumping into the MSRP of a WRR with my many additions. Nice bike but for sport touring?

Comparing new/used is a lost cause. I wanted a sporty bike, as light feeling as possible, to carry 2 up and luggage. I could have a SV650, but it feels like a tank compared to the 300. I just rode my buddies last week. For a first bike, get the 300 over the 250. It has every feature of the 250 to make it a good first bike + much more useable torque. If it bores you, sell it of make it better. It responds extremely well to simple mods.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #79
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I would say a Ninja 300 is a terrible choice for a first bike for the same reason a CBR500 would be: way too expensive, no used examples, and you will lose thousands if it turns out to not be the bike that works for you. Being brand new and in demand, dealers will be less willing to waive fees, you'll probably be paying close to full MSRP, and will suffer the full force of depreciation that both things entail. Won't be as much as a CBR500, but it will be damn close.

If you absolutely must get a brand spankin' new bike with 0 miles on the ODO, go for a left over Ninja 250 or CBR250R. Dealers are more willing to waive the standard fees for left overs, and they can go for thousands under MSRP. If you stay under 4 grand out the door including tax, you can limit your loses to probably about 1000$ or so dollars if/when you decide to change bikes (as opposed to 0$ with just buying a cheap used 250 in the first place).
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #80
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

My kid has a Ninja 250 in the garage too. If you want to keep it more than a year, go for the 300 unless you really want a 23-27 RWHP and the endless shifting, downshifting and near zero torque. That was my point about the 300, you can lug it and roll on the throttle and it actually accelerates. The 250s need to be in exactly the right gear all the time. You can ride the 300 like a "normal" street bike.

2 up is torture, as is long up hills. No so with the 300.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #81
single
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I agree with you. For a new rider who is committed to a motorcycle for at least a year, or an experienced rider who knows exactly what he wants, a new Ninja 300 makes a lot of sense. For a guy interested in sport touring that has never ridden a a motorcycle before, I don't think it's a wise use of money to bet that the Ninja 300 will do what he thinks he wants to do with a motorcycle.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #82
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I think putting him on a 250 CBR or Ninja 250 damns him to certain failure. Both of them bring a massive power handicap. Either is fine if you are sure you can live with the 25 or so RWHP.

I know my kid is kicking himself for not spending the extra $500 bucks for a 300. I haven't seen local dealers move an inch on leftover 250s.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #83
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
He will be a new rider, that means no experiance! Let him learn to ride a bike, not become a statistic. A well ridden 250 can give any bike on the road fits in the twisties where it is fun to ride and can drone down the highway at the speed limit or higher. Please don't tell my friends wife that her Honda Hawk 250 will not keep up with the rest of us on a trip because she gets there at the same time as the rest of us, or within 15 seconds. As far as handling, refer to the well ridden statement!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote