Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
oaktownbigun OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
kettle valley railroad trail ADVICE!!!!!!

Greetings all, 1st time posting a question here. A group of friends are going north from SF Cali, and are trying to plan part of the KVR as our turn around point of a 10 day ride we've all been looking forward too for a year. We've not been able to find any solid answers if the route is still usable, what parts are ok for motorbikes, good maps, do we need a permit? Any recent advice would be much appreciated...
oaktownbigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
My Brother & I rode the KVR in June. We started in Midway, BC & rode to the end. There were places that were clearly marked for non motorized vehicles & were easy to work around. No permit was needed. Read BigDog's RR of his ride on the KVR. http://www.bigdogadventures.com/1Alaska.htm

I have tracks of our ride if you would like. Send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
kelds
mostly right-side-up

Oddometer: 118
Hi - I live in Kelowna, BC and can pass along what I know.
The KVR is generally open; I will be riding it East from Kelowna through Castlegar this weekend.
I'll report with information on that portion following the trip. The route west of Kelowna is somewhat more broken up, and I'm not familiar with it.
It is OK to ride on all of it, except for where it passes through Provincial Parks (Myra Canyon near Kelowna, Othello Tunnels near Hope). I believe there may also be a portion of the trail between Penticton and Kelowna that is undergoing a trial run where motorized use is restricted and bypasses are put in place off of the former rail route for motorized users. Trails BC, an organization advocating for restricting the KVR to non-motorized use has posted a great deal of signage along the Transfer Canada Trail portions of the route suggesting that motorized use is forbidden, but, to my understanding, the trail is legally open to all users, except in the parks noted above.
There is a 30km/h speed limit as the trail is shared with other recreational users and is typically pretty busy, especially in the summer months. I always pull over for cyclists etc. and shut my bike down until they pass; I don't want to give ammo to the people who want to shut the trails down for us. For the same reason, it's probably a good idea to get off of the KVR when it cuts through the centre of towns (like Princeton), as it becomes a primary route for foot traffic.
Hope that helps.

kelds screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 09:40 PM Reason: OCD about spelling
kelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
We were amazed at the lack of use along the KVR! Only near towns were there people walking, riding bicycles etc. As kelds said, we stopped & shut the bikes off when we saw others. We talked to EVERYBODY that we saw. No one was adverse to us using the trail. It is a beautiful ride!

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote