User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
tire pressure?

Hi. I'm about to change tires on my bike. should I go with the pressure recommended for my bike or is that not valid when I have a sidecar on it? what is the effect of different pressures?
ANKOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
you are pulling a lot of weight. If you are using motorcycle tires recommend you use maximum pressure recommended by your tire manufacturer.

Duncan
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Jeff 8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I wouldn't recommend max pressure, just experiment from standard in two pound increments and don't change more than one at a time. Find someone with a similar outfit and typical load and use and try theirs.

Jeff

Jeff 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
For a recent Ural running Duro's recommendation is 32 psi front, 30 psi sidecar, 40-42 psi on pusher: at least that's what Gene at Holopaw says. The first two are well within the tires listed limit. The 42 exceeds the limit but hasn't caused any problems so far.

Are you running 6 ply tires? The Urals are so heavy that's what is recommended.
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
ANKOF OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
3ply on pusher and sc. 4 ply on front. running 2,8 2,6 and 2,2. heidenau k60 scout and k60 on rear and sc, the front wheel is a heidenau k37 4.00 19 designed for bikes like urals according to their info. the pressure is according to the recomendation on my bike fully loaded. have only tried it solo so far but it feels ok, more sturdy than with the tkc s. especilly the front feels very good.

on my sport/tourer I feel it loud and clear if the pressure is not perfect, on the hack I dont feel much difference at all. is it better to set the pressure as high as possible as long as the rig dont start to behave strange?
ANKOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
vetsurginc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I don't think you want the car pressure real high - more bounce after impact especially off road. I've read posts on Soviet Steeds that having a high front tire pressure makes the steering much less precise - I'm thinking more likely to skid. Which is exactly what you want the pusher to do, especially in right handers. Sorry, no genius here
Gustav, 2010 BMW RT
vetsurginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,909
I would talk to the tire manufacturer not just the tire seller or the internet. Explain your use and go by their recommendations. On my Ural outfit approx 800 lb wet curb weight and with proper sidecar/load rated tires (Duro 307's and 308's) I run 35psi in the front and hack tire and 40 in the pusher. Handles great with normal tire wear. You can't compensate for incorrect load ratings or the wrong tire in general by adding more pressure. Tire pressure "greatly" effects handling/stopping and in turn safety.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote