Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I really have no bases for these thoughts, but....

What about a piece of foam for under the knees, like a triangle to prop his knees up, could be "glued" to a piece of wood that has a belt of sorts to hold thighs or shins in location.

Then maybe a higher back rest affixed to the back of the chair, with a couple straps to hold him upright.

Not sure what the head situation is, but I'm sure that's relatively easy to deal with.

Couple tips on belts, jc Whitney has universal lap belts very inexpensive as does Volkswagen bug parts places.

Good on you for trying to take him for a ride, I bet he'd love nothing more than some wind in the face
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
SmellyGoatBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Dave,

My thoughts were more about looking for a 6 point harness. Maybe a used one from a junk yard or similiar. But a quick google shopping search finds several for under $100.

Like this one for $58

http://autoplicity.com/products/5076...FYp_Qgod3jkAIw

SmellyGoatBoy screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 11:24 PM
SmellyGoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,482
Dave, go to eBay Motors and search for 5-point harness and you'll find them for $25 shipped (used).

Once you get Rick loaded into the M72 using the regular DMC seat cushions, the sidewalls of the tub will keep him from sliding sideways cause that opening is only about 19 inches wide.

His legs can't go anywhere because there's not much room up in the nose of the car. Maybe a couple of pillows down there if needed.

The harness down strap can be attached to the seat support crossbar under the seat.

The shoulder straps can be routed up and over the back of the seat then down behind the seatback and anchored to the fiberglass "wall" between the trunk and the passenger area. Just requires two holes to be drilled through the wall then a couple of through bolts. You can figger out the best location. That fiberglass is plenty strong enough.

The waist belt can be anchored to the two bolts under the seat that attach the car to the frame (that's where I have Queen Bee's seat belt anchored), see this pic--

I really think that would work, it would cost under $30, you could get it all set up at home before heading south, and if you didn't want to keep the harness, you could re-sell it on eBay after you get back.

The only thing I don't know about is if his head and neck need support. If so, seems like you and Rick ought to be able to puzzle that part out.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Dave, go to eBay Motors and search for 5-point harness and you'll find them for $25 shipped (used).

Once you get Rick loaded into the M72 using the regular DMC seat cushions, the sidewalls of the tub will keep him from sliding sideways cause that opening is only about 19 inches wide.

His legs can't go anywhere because there's not much room up in the nose of the car. Maybe a couple of pillows down there if needed.

The harness down strap can be attached to the seat support crossbar under the seat.

The shoulder straps can be routed up and over the back of the seat then down behind the seatback and anchored to the fiberglass "wall" between the trunk and the passenger area. Just requires two holes to be drilled through the wall then a couple of through bolts. You can figger out the best location. That fiberglass is plenty strong enough.

The waist belt can be anchored to the two bolts under the seat that attach the car to the frame (that's where I have Queen Bee's seat belt anchored), see this pic--

I really think that would work, it would cost under $30, you could get it all set up at home before heading south, and if you didn't want to keep the harness, you could re-sell it on eBay after you get back.

The only thing I don't know about is if his head and neck need support. If so, seems like you and Rick ought to be able to puzzle that part out.
Howdy DRONE,

Strapping Rick in won't be a problem, I need something that will support his head especially with the weight of a helmet. From the neck down Rick has no movement or control of his body. He can support his head and he can turn his head but when he is in his wheel chair his head is resting against the high back of the wheel chair.

I don't want to start drilling a lot of holes and modifying the sidecar, a couple of holes for a seat belt is no problem but I don't want to take the stock seat out and start building totally different seat, thats why I am thinking that making tubular frame that will set into the sidecar, using the stock seat will work the best without incurring a lot of cost and work.

Like I said if this was something that would be used on a regular basis I would go through the work and the expense of having a custom fitted cockpit made as some have suggested making using foam and plywood.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
M37cdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
For supporting your friends neck, what about one of those foam neck rolls
M37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #21
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,482
I just don't see how a tubular frame would work in the confines of a M72 cockpit. Using the ideas I already talked about, I would take a piece of scrap 1/4" plywood about 6" wide and whatever length needed to go from the floor of the cockpit to the top of the helmet and slide that vertically in behind the seatback. His weight against the seatback will keep it in place along with the shoulder harness. Then I'd make a helmet-sized U-shaped bracket out of PVC pipe (3 straight sections connected by two elbows) and through-bolt that to the plywood. Use some pipe insulation (or a $1.00 "swimmie" from the Dollar Store) on the PVC so it'll grip the helmet without vibrating and still let him move his head around a bit. Does that make sense?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #22
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Try a plastic chair like this, but preferably one with the legs screwed to the underside of the base.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=310443295035

Sorry, but for some reason I can't post a picture so I've put in a link.

Go to a wrecker and get a headrest and a few seatbelts. When you tell them what it's for they should give them to you.

Fit the seat in your sidecar (without the legs) and work out the angle to the front. Match the front leg to that angle and mount a plywood section. The seat supports the body, the plywood the legs and the headrest the head and neck.

Mount the seatbelts where needed with scrap sheet steel and screws. Place sheepskins or foam over everything to stop sores developing.

If that doesn't make sense, I can draw up a sketch if the damn computer will let me.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
I just don't see how a tubular frame would work in the confines of a M72 cockpit. Using the ideas I already talked about, I would take a piece of scrap 1/4" plywood about 6" wide and whatever length needed to go from the floor of the cockpit to the top of the helmet and slide that vertically in behind the seatback. His weight against the seatback will keep it in place along with the shoulder harness. Then I'd make a helmet-sized U-shaped bracket out of PVC pipe (3 straight sections connected by two elbows) and through-bolt that to the plywood. Use some pipe insulation (or a $1.00 "swimmie" from the Dollar Store) on the PVC so it'll grip the helmet without vibrating and still let him move his head around a bit. Does that make sense?
Howdy DRONE,

I see now what your talking about, looking at the seat in my M72 it didn't look like anything could be placed behind the seat. I have NOT taken the seat out so I have no idea whats behind it, thanks for the suggestion.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Try a plastic chair like this, but preferably one with the legs screwed to the underside of the base.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=310443295035

Sorry, but for some reason I can't post a picture so I've put in a link.

Go to a wrecker and get a headrest and a few seatbelts. When you tell them what it's for they should give them to you.

Fit the seat in your sidecar (without the legs) and work out the angle to the front. Match the front leg to that angle and mount a plywood section. The seat supports the body, the plywood the legs and the headrest the head and neck.

Mount the seatbelts where needed with scrap sheet steel and screws. Place sheepskins or foam over everything to stop sores developing.

If that doesn't make sense, I can draw up a sketch if the damn computer will let me.
Howdy oppozit,

I understand what your saying, I just don't want to be drilling a bunch of holes in the fiberglass tub. Thanks for your post.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
race sixpoint systems have an expire date. you might contact a local race shop and find somebody that has put a new harness in thier car and would donate the old one for such a worthy project.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
If you remove the seat back you will find a strong bulk head. The way I would look at doing this is to attach a support to the rear rack of the bike. If you wanted to some day go some where with your friend he will need his chair when you get there. I would go with a Harbor freight cheap trailer. We once built a rig for some one with MS. We mounted a folding "cherry" picker type hoist between the bike and the sidecar. It required a support on the sidecar side to the ground as there is a lot of weight hanging out quite a ways.
Let me know if we can be of help.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
If you remove the seat back you will find a strong bulk head. The way I would look at doing this is to attach a support to the rear rack of the bike. If you wanted to some day go some where with your friend he will need his chair when you get there. I would go with a Harbor freight cheap trailer. We once built a rig for some one with MS. We mounted a folding "cherry" picker type hoist between the bike and the sidecar. It required a support on the sidecar side to the ground as there is a lot of weight hanging out quite a ways.
Let me know if we can be of help.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
Howdy Jay,

Thanks for your suggestions but what everyone seems to be forgetting is I will only be doing this ONCE, and we really won't know until we try if Rick can actually ride as it may be very difficult for him to breath. I am looking for a very simple way to secure him into the sidecar, something that can be easily built, perhaps just a board replacing the rear up-right part of the seat so Rick can be strapped to it. If this were to be something used on a regular basis what you are suggestion would be great but its not needed for this particular situation.

Jay, as you built the rig, perhaps you can advise me on this, I have NOT taken any parts of the seat out of the sidecar since I brought it home; could the rear up-right of the seat be easily taken out and temporarily replaced with a taller board that a four point harness could be anchored through?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,669
Cob,

What your doing is a really great idea.

Based on what you posted earlier I am assuming your have a working width of 17".

Based on that assumption I did some research and here is an option that does several things.

• Provides support to the head
  • immobilize the upper body and lower body around the hips
  • Is one piece which can be installed in place of the existing seat, attached to how ever the existing seat is attached
  • Has provisions for 4pt or 5pt seat harness
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-36500/overview/

This might be the best answer to what your looking for based on the requirements outlined in prior posts.

You also need to make sure there is enough leg room for him or as other has suggested have at had several pieces of high density foam that can be used to arrange his body position.
padding etc for the seat would be taken from his existing chair etc.

What you really need are the following measurements.

His current seat pad width (which I assume is anatomically correct for his hips).
His current seat back height for head support.

Those two numbers will help to identify what seat frame off the shelf might be applicable if any.

Hope this helps.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
Cob,

What your doing is a really great idea.

Based on what you posted earlier I am assuming your have a working width of 17".

Based on that assumption I did some research and here is an option that does several things.

• Provides support to the head
  • immobilize the upper body and lower body around the hips
  • Is one piece which can be installed in place of the existing seat, attached to how ever the existing seat is attached
  • Has provisions for 4pt or 5pt seat harness
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-36500/overview/

This might be the best answer to what your looking for based on the requirements outlined in prior posts.

You also need to make sure there is enough leg room for him or as other has suggested have at had several pieces of high density foam that can be used to arrange his body position.
padding etc for the seat would be taken from his existing chair etc.

What you really need are the following measurements.

His current seat pad width (which I assume is anatomically correct for his hips).
His current seat back height for head support.

Those two numbers will help to identify what seat frame off the shelf might be applicable if any.

Hope this helps.
Howdy DSM8,

THAT, would be perfect, I'll give it serious consideration, THANKS for the link.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
I think with it originally being a one time use thing and the distance thing I would when on site pull the tub, bolt a couple planks on the frame and strap the wheeler chair down with a couple ratchet motorcycle tie downs. Won't win any points for pretty but it'll get the job done. Plus side the chair already fits Rick so securing the chair will be comfortable, safe and easier than properly fitting Rick into the tub. Getting set up for a putt around town seems the easier part. Hauling whatever you build from WA to TX would be tricky or expensive. If a flatbed platform works ok, it'll be easy to store at Ricks if you guys decide to do it again, plus you'll have a shake down test run under your belt and aware of any mods/tweaks needed.
Materials for either flatbed or tub mods can be had in TX and prolly other folks around that could help with any tools needed. I vote whatever you do, build it on location.
Good luck...cool project.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote