Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Hi Cob, The seat bottom lifts out, The seat back depending on when we did the change over is either held in with two screws from the in side of the trunk or with two wing nuts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
I think with it originally being a one time use thing and the distance thing I would when on site pull the tub, bolt a couple planks on the frame and strap the wheeler chair down with a couple ratchet motorcycle tie downs. Won't win any points for pretty but it'll get the job done. Plus side the chair already fits Rick so securing the chair will be comfortable, safe and easier than properly fitting Rick into the tub. Getting set up for a putt around town seems the easier part. Hauling whatever you build from WA to TX would be tricky or expensive. If a flatbed platform works ok, it'll be easy to store at Ricks if you guys decide to do it again, plus you'll have a shake down test run under your belt and aware of any mods/tweaks needed.
Materials for either flatbed or tub mods can be had in TX and prolly other folks around that could help with any tools needed. I vote whatever you do, build it on location.
Good luck...cool project.
Howdy usgser,

Thanks for your suggestions.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
Hi Cob, The seat bottom lifts out, The seat back depending on when we did the change over is either held in with two screws from the in side of the trunk or with two wing nuts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Howdy Jay,

Thanks for the information, I have been having to much riding this rig to even thing about taking it apart, I'll pop the seat sections and have a look at what I have to work with.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #34
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Or, fly him over here and i'm sure my customer would give him a ride in this:

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wayward View Post
Or, fly him over here and i'm sure my customer would give him a ride in this:
That hacked Rocket is so rude...I love it!
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,231

How's your project going, Dave?
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #37
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

I guess I should have up-dated this thread, I took advantage of Gary's offer to help build what I had in mind, this is what we came up with, it met ALL of my parameters, EASY, CHEAP, FUNCTIONAL. Thank you Gary for helping with the construction, thank you Tom for the loan of the five-point harness. Please excuse the ugly guy used as a model As Rick and I are about the same size I used myself to gage measurements and fitting. Padding will be added to the support bar as needed when fitting it to Rick.

Gary working on part of the support structure.

A trial fit to see if the bends are in the right place.

Gary welds in the cross piece.

Everything bolted in place, its adjustable and strong, it will work well.

Thank you Gary for your help in building this head support, I appreciate your generosity and hospitality whilst at your home over the weekend, I do look forward to doing some hack riding with you this coming summer.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 1,011
excellent cudos to all involved
norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #39
brstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Laugh K i s s

Well done. Maybe help/inspire others to try as well.

Cleatus?

Cheers Bruce
brstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #40
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Great work!

Nice bit of fabrication!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,231
Truely a thing of beauty, and an inspirational story too!
Looking forward to a ride report
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #42
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,287
Looking good!,
Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #43
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,250
Way to go Mr. Cob!
Years back I had a good friend with A.L.S. Unfortunately I wasn't into sidecars yet ....but I really wanted to do what you ARE accomplishing. Good man!
Sadly my friend passed a few years before my introduction to the side hack world. He would have loved it.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Way to go Mr. Cob!
Years back I had a good friend with A.L.S. Unfortunately I wasn't into sidecars yet ....but I really wanted to do what you ARE accomplishing. Good man!
Sadly my friend passed a few years before my introduction to the side hack world. He would have loved it.
Howdy bmwhacker,

I am just doing what I can to fulfill a long ago made plan. I am going to get as big a kick out of this as is Rick.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
CharlieT
old school

Oddometer: 1,648
I had a patient at the VA I worked at that was a functional quad from MS. He was an old biker/flattracker from back in late '60s-70's. Hadn't been on a bike in many many years. So once I got the hack coupled up to the old Goldwing, I asked him if he wanted to go for a bike ride. His eyes lit up and he got this huge smile and replied, "Oh hell YES!"

That was all it took. Got permission form his guardian and got through the red-tape at the VA and come a nice sunny warm fall day, Jimmy and I went for a bit of a ride.

In the right of the pic is the lift we used to set Jimmy into the hack. It's much like a cherry-picker to pull a motor with. The blue around Jimmy is the padded sling that is used with the lift. The top rack on the Ural sidecar gave him a headrest. A few pillows placed under his knees and on each side of his legs supported and stabilized his legs.

Needless to say, Jimmy had a blast, but I'm not sure which one of us got a bigger kick out of the ride, Jimmy or me.

The bureaucrats had wanted me to stay on station grounds and just go around the perimeter road...with its 15mph speed limit. Can't really feel the wind in your hair at that speed tho, can you. But unfortunately, I got lost on station and accidentally took an exit road and got lost again. I think it took me and Jimmy about a 1/2hr to finally find our way back to the VA.

It was all Jimmy could talk about for months, and he had a framed print of the lower pic above sitting on his bedside table. Me, I still smile every time I think about Jimmy's ride. I know you and your friend will both feel the same. Good luck with your journey.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Checke...22319847810910
CharlieT is offline   Reply With Quote