User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,752
Thoughts on High-End Aux Lights LEDs

I've been running a set of PIAA 1100x aux lights. Honestly, of all the bad things that I've done to that F798GS, I've only needed to replace one bulb.

Background on the quandary
So why the "high-end" requirement? I am apparently the kind of person that has accepted the fact I can break anything. I started the quest for new lights a few weeks back, and while it's been honest feedback I won't put up with LEDs that are fogging, LEDS that are wired in series, LEDs modules that need to be replaced more than my underwear.

Why replace my "nirvana". Ironically, I've fallen in love with the lights. However, I am bit amperage limited and the PIAAs are pulling down 110Watts. Between the GPS, the heated jacket and gloves, and the PIAAs it just too much current draw.

Other Material solutions:
Most might say the easy solution is to just decide what I want to run and turn something off. I borrowed a page from the US play book, and I refuse to negotiate with those things holding me hostage (e.g. lack of available amperage).

The top contenders
  1. PIAA 1100xLED
    24W

$400

Pros: Probably the easiest install of the three, as I can reuse the brackets. I like the current look/form factor. And I have yet to bust them off in a fall. Symmetrical pattern.
    Cons: The backwards installation of the LEDs (reflector facing technology) seems unique, and maybe a good reason they do it? Somewhat hard to source, going out of business?
  2. BMW Take Off (Police)
    45W/3.5A

Pros: Given required user, probably a decent light
    Cons: Not a lot of reports on them; Looks goofy
    $395
  3. Clearwater Glenda
    24W
    1400 Lumens

Pros: Close form factor to PIAAs, reportedly indestructible, Usa made
    $500

The question:
Any thoughts/comments that would clearly make or break any of the above? Other high-end lights that would be in this same ball park?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
I have the Kristas. Plain and simple...they are great.

A good friend has the Rigid D2's...they are pretty amazing as well.

http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-shop...ts-detail.html
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
2MnB
Missing

Oddometer: 129
x2 on the Rigid Industries D2s

Also the Globetrottin fairing LEDs are NiCE.
http://www.globetrottin.com/products.html
Old 02-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,752
Thanks for the D2 suggestion! It something more to consider. I don't think I am up for the full faring replacement option yet.

4. Rigid D2 Driving
28W
2600 lumens

$360
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Are you going for conspicuity or do you need to throw some light downrange?

I have a set of Clearwater Glendas on my sidecar that make my hack (and dog) extremely visible, but they do little or nothing to illuminate the road. They are sort of like MotoLights in that regard.

OTOH I put Clearwater Kristas on the bike and holy cow are they bright! I keep them dialed back to the minimum setting for conspicuity and when I hit the high beam they (and the Glendas which are wired to one controller) go to full power. At full, the Kristas shine like small suns and I'm able to spot deer WAY off in the distance.

Pete
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
2MnB
Missing

Sorry my bad , I'm running the Dually.

Found em on amazon for 175$ shipped.
Also I'm running floods, wish I had 1 flood and 1 spot. They are tough!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 992
D2s yes, Duallys not so much. I have one of each on my airhead and the D2 is worlds better.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Re-read Okie Preacher and Boondox and go with Kristas. Everything else, IMHO, is second best.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
2MnB
Missing

What is goal with the lights

What are the lights going on? Dual-sport, night off-road tourer, Iron Butt rallye bike, or are ya after day light visiblity?
The D2s are sweet indeed. The Krista's are amazing also.

2MnB screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 09:47 AM
2MnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
Kristas are amazing but I still like my Baja Designs Squadrons a little better.
Side by side, they are hard to tell the difference in light output. The PWM from Clearwater is nicer than the key fob one from BD.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 445
I have the Krista's on an 08 rt and love them. They throw out plenty of light and are extremely well built. Amber lenses are available for foggy weather. And the frosting on the cake was the installation. The instructions were straightforward and they went in clean.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
mikemaycga
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
D2s are amazing. They light up the roadway and allow safe speeds (100km/hr plus on back roads plus they light up the sides of the road as well. They generally remove the fear of night time speeds. Also,if you need to be seen, say entering an intersection, a few flashes gets the driver's attention, even in the full light of day

However, they are not perfect.

1. They are not street legal because they bling oncoming traffic. It's actually hairy when you are blasting along a country road and oncoming traffic forces you to revert to stock lights. I will get a dimmer so that keeps some of the light on.

2. They don't focus the light to a distance. Within their range, they create a tunnel of light, but for speed, you need lights that focus on a longer distance. For this year, I will add a pair of distance lights as well. The combo will be killer. The Cyclops light looks like a good candidate http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839163

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mikemaycga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Thanks for the D2 suggestion! It something more to consider. I don't think I am up for the full faring replacement option yet.

4. Rigid D2 Driving
28W
2600 lumens

$360
+1 on the Rigids! I have Glendas, Kristas, and Rigids on my motor. Have not had any failures, however a fellow club member has had 3 failures with Clearwater Kristas! Yes, they were replaced, however, what a PIA.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
[QUOTE=Dorito;20636506]I've been running a set of PIAA 1100x aux lights. Honestly, of all the bad things that I've done to that F798GS, I've only needed to replace one bulb.

Background on the quandary
So why the "high-end" requirement? I am apparently the kind of person that has accepted the fact I can break anything. I started the quest for new lights a few weeks back, and while it's been honest feedback I won't put up with LEDs that are fogging, LEDS that are wired in series, LEDs modules that need to be replaced more than my underwear.

Thank you for not being a Goat.

I'm Curious, what LED lights have the issues Listed above. I have a pretty good Idea.
A quality LED Auxiliary Light will have proper heat sinking, No fogging,more powerful than any Halogen and should out last any bike made.

Give a quality set of LEDs a try, you wont have issues and will be much happier in the long run.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482
I like the Kristas. Like mentioned above, keep them low during the day, could go to maybe 20% at night, but full on it's turn out the sun. Two features I especially like -- the lights are keyed to the high beams, so flash to pass is truly flash, and the lights are keyed to the horn, so you get both sound and uber light.

Low Kristas:

High Kristas:
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote