ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What do the numbers 50/50 mean to you in regards to motorcycle capabilities?
Street/Dirt 35 38.89%
Pristine Pavement/Gnarly OFFroad 9 10.00%
Paved/Unpaved 28 31.11%
Asphalt/Gravel 10 11.11%
Other 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
What do the numbers 50/50 mean to you in regards to motorcycle capabilities?

More specifically what do the far ends of each spectrum do the numbers represent? To me the first number in the ratio is street and the second is dirt, so a 50/50 bike should be equally at home on the pavement as it is off. So a 100/0 bike would be a purpose built track bike like a Ducati Panigale, something that was never designed or intended to see dirt much less nasty single track. On the other end, a 0/100 would be a KTM 300 XCW, a pure dirt bike meant for the terrain harder, steeper, rockier, and more treacherous than most of us will ever be able to even think about riding.

In some of the threads I've been reading it seems that quite a few people have very different ideas of what a 50/50 means or what each side of the ratio means. There 50/50 bike is what I would consider an 80/20 bike at best while my 50/50 bike is there 10/90 bike.

I also know you can take any bike far more places than most people think are possible. There videos of street bikes with dirt tires tearing up single track but they are way outside of the design parameters and aren't really what this is about.

So what say you oh great collective of 'The Perfect Line?' What do the numbers mean to you? What features push a bike one direction of the other? And if you could explain your choice that would be helpful.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,213
I think I know what spawned this poll...

It'll be interesting to see what the cumulative results will be, though I think there's still a lot of room for interpretation in some of the options. But you'll have that, given different riding abilities, experiences in different types of terrain, etc.
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
It means "This guy wants a motorcycle that's perfect at everything and he wants to pay $1500 for it."
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
McRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
That's a toughy.

Dirt means many things geographically and in the mind of the rider.
Even Jeep Trails and Single Track mean different things to different people.

We use to call Jeep Trails "fireroads", but fireroads can be mild to wild. There are fireroads that require a full dirt bike to negotiate safely. Rocky steep trails, deep soft sand, rain gutted hardpack, etc.

Single track we used to call rabbit trails. These are often on slopes or mountain ridges.

50/50 means to me that you can enjoy most fireroads, but not necessarily enjoy rabbit trails. 50/50 for me, out of necessity must negotiate deep sand safely, since most fireroads here have washes you must cross.

EDIT, so I voted street-dirt. I'd consider my modified CB500X 50/50. It has tires, suspension, and protection, so it does sand and limited rabbit runs. The KTM's are 90/10 dirt/street.

McRat screwed with this post 06-09-2015 at 08:22 AM
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
McRat
Studly Adventurer

I would not consider the CRF1000L unless it can enjoyably negotiate the terrain the 500X will. Weight will be a key factor. The 500X is under 200kg fueled. The Honda can be heavier, but not over 230kg fueled.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,300
I think it depends greatly on the person that uses the term. Someone who does a lot of single track or trials might have different dirt expectations than someone who does a lot of ironbutt super slab time and the occasional dry hardpack dirt road.

I'd probably not have much use for a 50/50 bike as described by the first person (right now, anyway), and plenty of lighter touring-capable standards might qualify as a 50/50 bike for the second person.

Similarly, a bike like the panagale wouldn't be a 100/0 bike for me either - too much race, not enough other stuff. What does each number really mean? Highway comfort? Commute/traffic carving? Backroads scratching? Track days? Each of those is quite different, and would be balled together for the first "50". Seems like a gross oversimplification to me.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
McRat
Studly Adventurer

Perhaps a new numbering method is required, but it would cause confusion.

Street ability 0-100
Dirt ability 0-100

Broken bike 0/0

Fantasy bike 100/100

KTM 1190R 90/50

KTM 500EXC 10/100

etc.

Saying that street manners removes dirt manners is not correct. Bikes have a range.

You could have 30/10 bike, a 50cc commuter. Only so-so on street, but bicycle tires and no power make it pretty useless in dirt.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I would not consider the CRF1000L unless it can enjoyably negotiate the terrain the 500X will. Weight will be a key factor. The 500X is under 200kg fueled. The Honda can be heavier, but not over 230kg fueled.
Hopefully, under 470lbs. Wet. (213 kg). For a true 50/50 street/dirt Adventure Bike.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
McRat
Studly Adventurer

Tires are also rated on the idea that street is the opposite of dirt, which is not always the case.

I don't consider the TKC80 as a 50/50 tire. I have no issues with it on the street. I scrape my boots and pegs in the twisties, but they go through sand pretty good too.

I'd say they are 70/70 tires. 70 street rating and 70 dirt rating.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
windblown101
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
This is what happens when you try to apply hard numbers to something that is not quantifiable by that method. Heck, they don't even have a solid system for rating the tires, much less the bikes.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
adam728
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I think it depends greatly on the person that uses the term. Someone who does a lot of single track or trials might have different dirt expectations than someone who does a lot of ironbutt super slab time and the occasional dry hardpack dirt road.
This.

My commute is about 60% pavement, 40% gravel. So many would call it 60/40. But these are typically well graded, smooth roads that I often cruised 60+ mph down in my old LeSabre. Occasionally I see someone that lives out there riding their Harley or Goldwing out. So I wouldn't exactly call it "dirt riding".

I consider dirt to start with something the typical person wouldn't take a regular car down, like a 2 track with a tall center hump, or moderate hills and ruts. And trails are something that would require the use of 4wd, or better yet, simply won't fit a car/truck/jeep.

So street to me is typically std roads, paved, gravel, or dirt, and "dirt" is anything from hike-a-bike single track up to about something that makes my wife give me that "what are you doing you stupid idiot" look if I hobble the Mazda3 down it.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Perhaps a new numbering method is required, but it would cause confusion.

Street ability 0-100
Dirt ability 0-100

Broken bike 0/0

Fantasy bike 100/100

KTM 1190R 90/50

KTM 500EXC 10/100

etc.

Saying that street manners removes dirt manners is not correct. Bikes have a range.

You could have 30/10 bike, a 50cc commuter. Only so-so on street, but bicycle tires and no power make it pretty useless in dirt.
I think this is a great point. I mentioned in another thread that a good dirt bike can be a great road bike but never really finished the thought out like you did. bravo sir.

500EXC 30/90 ...

300 XC-W 10/100

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-09-2015 at 10:06 AM
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
It means "This guy wants a motorcycle that's perfect at everything and he wants to pay $1500 for it."
I hate compromise so I gave up on that I long time ago. I've got a 950 Super Enduro and 300XC.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
Street/Dirt

I don't want to be going into gnarly off road trails with a bike big and comfortable enough for long highway trips, and I don't want a bike suitable for gnarly terrain, that sucks going several thousand miles at 70+ mph on pavement.

There are all manner of people and machines on this forum capable enough to take large fire breathing beasts into insane places (can anyone say OSO LOCO? ) but alas, not any more at my age and present wants/needs in the realm of "Adventure".

Just as many folks can do 'round the world bazillion mile trips on wee little cc bikes, but again, it's just not for me anymore. I did my time going to Texas, Mexico and Alaska etc., on DR350's and old 400, 500cc Honda twins, and had a blast doing so, but time marches on and I am less and less into extremes of anything.

Since my NC700X is more street friendly than dirt friendly, the only thing I would wish for is maybe 2" or so more ground clearance, and a wee bit more suspension travel, but then again, that may tempt me to push it further when off pavement, and result in the catch22 of: "now I've managed to get stuck in a much worse place than I should be in" scenario
Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
JeepDawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I voted other

I voted other because there was no dirt / street option.
JeepDawg is offline   Reply With Quote