User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
mrphotoman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
$60,000 speeding ticket

Wow, a sliding scale fine for speeding. Better watch your speed while in Europe.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...tcmp=obnetwork

Everyone knows crime doesn’t pay, but sometimes you have to pay big time for a small crime.

A driver in Finland was recently fined $60,000 for doing 64 mph in a 50 mph zone, The Sunday Times Reports.

The hefty levy for the 14 mph infraction was courtesy of Finland’s income-based system, which uses a sliding scale based on the previous year’s income of the ticketed individual. The logic being that typical fines aren’t as much of a deterrent to the wealthy as they are to average folks.

The driver in this case, Reima Kuisla, owns race horses that compete around the world and had a reported income in 2014 of around $7 million. Afterward, he posted on Facebook that he’s now considering leaving the country.

If he does, he may want to avoid Germany, Austria, France and Switzerland, which all employ a similar system. The last of those dished out a $1 million ticket to a Swedish driver passing through the country at an equally impressive 180 mph.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,740
hell yes - Im a big supporter of the sliding scale ticket offense system. That makes tons of sense.....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
I womder.....is that individual income or household income that they look at?

'Cause if it's individual income......
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
De Trommelslager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Based on that, they'd be giving me a check on the side of the road....

Time, like money, can only be spent once. Get out there and make the most of it!
De Trommelslager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
quasigentrified
Ape Trumpet

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Trommelslager View Post
Based on that, they'd be giving me a check on the side of the road....

"son, you know how fast you were goin'? looks like you were 30 over. lemme look up yer annual and run the maths..."

[comes back five minutes later]

"you poor bastard, can i give you this in all twenties?"
Old 03-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #6
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Sounds good. My last ticket would have cost me 8 bucks.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
Fredicchino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Huum sorry but... this system doesn't exist in France for such "small" speeding offences. Good one Fox News...

Only if you're caught at least 40mph OVER the speed limit, you have the doubtful privilege to be assigned to a court, and then the judge may fine you according to your income. But below that, which is clearly the case in this story, it's a set fine according to the speeding infraction, no matter your income.
2010 Yamaha YBR 250 (Sold)
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
motif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
hell yes - Im a big supporter of the sliding scale ticket offense system. That makes tons of sense.....
+1, for some regular fines are nothing and they don't give damn about them.
This case though is little bit of exaggeration.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #9
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
looks like that fine is just under .8% of their income (gross?net?)

In my area, 14 over the limit is currently a $206 fine... using the sliding scale, I would have paid almost $700.

Florida previously had a sliding scale for fines based on your percentage over the limit.. because doing 14 over the limit a residential 25mph zone isnt the same as doing 14 over in a 70mph interstate zone. But that went away decades ago.

Although I have seen people in Florida pay almost $700 for doing more than 30 over the limit, since we now have a law which requires court appearances in front of Judges for anyone doing 30mph or more over the limit.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
rwf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
$7,000,000 / 52 weeks / 5 working days = $26,923 so the guy is fined a little over 2 days pay.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #11
gunissan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
From 2010;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8446545.stm

A Swiss millionaire has been handed down a record speeding fine of $290,000 (£180,000) by a court.
The man was reportedly caught driving a red Ferrari Testarossa at 137km/h (85mph) through a village.
The penalty was calculated based on the unnamed motorist's wealth - assessed by the court as $22.7m (£14.1m) - and because he was a repeat offender.
It is more than double Switzerland's previous record speeding fine - handed to a Porsche driver in Zurich in 2008.
In the latest case, the motorist was clocked speeding 57km/h (35mph) faster than the limit, according to the cantonal court in St Gallen, eastern Switzerland.
"The accused ignored elementary traffic rules with a powerful vehicle out of a pure desire for speed," the court said in its judgement.
Swiss media reported that the man owns a villa with five luxury cars, including the Ferrari.
gunissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #12
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,089
I don't really have a problem with fines like this being adjusted to wealth or income.

First, it may actually act as a deterrent, and second law enforcement will have a strong incentive to pay attention to wealthier people - they're worth more.

Assholes in $90k+ luxury cars pulled for doing 20 over on the freeway and fined 0.8% of their yearly? Fine with me.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't really have a problem with fines like this being adjusted to wealth or income.

First, it may actually act as a deterrent, and second law enforcement will have a strong incentive to pay attention to wealthier people - they're worth more.

Assholes in $90k+ luxury cars pulled for doing 20 over on the freeway and fined 0.8% of their yearly? Fine with me.
Thats called "profiling" .

How about utility bills based on income? The price of groceries based on your net assets...

Its all about "equality" .

A gallon of petrol should be $20.00 US if goes in a GS1200 because the owner is wealthy.

Its only fair...
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #14
McRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
That's sweet. Now the PD won't stop anyone who drives a POS. Not profitable enough.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 AM   #15
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
Thats called "profiling" .

How about utility bills based on income? The price of groceries based on your net assets...

Its all about "equality" .

A gallon of petrol should be $20.00 US if goes in a GS1200 because the owner is wealthy.

Its only fair...
First, we are talking about a punishment.. not regulating the prices of goods in a market.

2nd, it all depends on how you stand on what you consider "fair". Remember the purpose of punishment is to deter recurrence. Giving current fine schedules, Is the same fine for two people in completely different socioeconomic backgrounds fair? While a $200 fine deters the middle class worker from recommitting.. do you truly believe that same $200 fine is going to make someone making $7,000,000 even think twice?