User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,983
Freeway downpours with heavy traffic!

Yikes, if I never find myself in one of these again It would be too soon.

91 west from the 15..notoriously shitty and all the worse with traffic and rain that made the surface slippery and dangerous. Could barely see and cars everywhere, don't think others saw me that good, no where to go and a slippery surface.

Was a 225 mile ride in the rain and wind into the Mountains and that was the worst part.
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Dieselrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
Yikes, if I never find myself in one of these again It would be too soon.

91 west from the 15..notoriously shitty and all the worse with traffic and rain that made the surface slippery and dangerous. Could barely see and cars everywhere, don't think others saw me that good, no where to go and a slippery surface.

Was a 225 mile ride in the rain and wind into the Mountains and that was the worst part.

Been there, done that on the Florida Turnpike, it's definitely not fun!

Cars driving really slow, hard to see, so you're in the middle behind a slow car and cars coming in hot behind.

I feel more comfortable on my Yamaha super ten than I did my liter bike more so because of the traction/abs but man i still don't prefer it if I can avoid it.
Dieselrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I got caught in a frog strangler coming through Atlanta. The cars slowed down to 40. I just knew I would be hit from behind.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Yep, and you thought you were invisible before!
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 434
Yep, been there, done that except mine was on I-40 shortly after coming out of the Smokey Mountains. We (I was with two other riders) took an Oak Ridge exit when we saw heavy black clouds ahead of us. I had managed to get my jacket on and had my rain pants out when we saw a funnel cloud drop about a mile behind us. We jumped on our bike and took off west on I-40 as there wasn't any cover around us to go to. Rode into golf ball sized hail about 2 minutes later and heavy rain - the kind of rain that had the cars around us pulling off to the shoulder. We kept riding. The three of us got separated in the rain and didn't get hooked up again for 60 miles. It rained hard the rest of the way home, not as far as you rode but it was far enough. It was dark now and still raining hard. Took us over 3 hours to make it the last 130 miles home. That was the day/night that I found out that waterproof boots hold water in as good they hold it out as I didn't get my rain pants on when we were running from that Tornado back in Oak Ridge. Made for a long miserable ride.

Doug

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
svs OP
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,983
The bike was moving, traction was bad..oil had come up from the road. Could not see more than a few car lengths --hitting puddles, looking for chunks of asphalt to indicate there might be a pothole. Anyworse it would have been unrideable. I was in fast track lanes for the last 20ish miles and there was no way or no where to exit...had to keep speed from the traffic coming up behind me.

The sound of the rain hitting the helmet. Wow..ride through these conditions and it makes most rain riding feel enjoyable.
If a physical fact can produce a psychological state, a psychological state can produce a physical fact... The whole of creation is asleep within the deep of man and is awakened to objective existence by his subconscious assumptions.
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 AM   #7
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,906
Yeah, I know the feeling. A57 north - I was trying a new route home from work and didn't know where I was. Pitch black, tons of traffic, construction zone, drownpour, all of it. I don't think I have ever been so happy to park my bike as when I got home that night!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 AM   #8
juno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Been there done that a few hundred times as I live in SFl. It really sucks as people down here are just stupid drivers. I either stay in the left lane with flashers on and try to move just a little faster than traffic or I pull over. It's a lot eaiser to handle it on the HD, on the broomstick it is a no go.
juno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,650
I don't mind freeways and interstates and I don't mind downpours but not the combination. For example, commuting into Boston on the Pike can be especially hazardous to your health as they don't slow down for anything, especially not a little frog strangler. For this and other reasons, I find that weather radar on the iPhone (or whatever device) is my friend and helps me avoid those situations (i.e. stay off or get off before the shit hits the fan).

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
These are all good reasons to think of the gear for you and your bike in a different light. ATGATT makes even more sense when seen from this perspective. So do reflectors, extra lighting, etc. Some think ATGATT and safety farkles look dorky. If it improves my chances of surviving a Mother Nature surprise, I'm a happy dork.

If you prefer living a dork-free life, at least fit up some really good rain tires.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 AM   #11
shovelstrokeed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Probably the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist as.
Your vision is impaired by rain all over your face shield. Other drivers won't be able to see you. There is some degree of danger from standing or deep running water.

Some hints:

Avoid the right lane, stay in the fast lane if you can. Why? Less ruts in the tire tracks from big trucks = less standing water.

Do not ride with your flashers on. They are meant for stopping by the side of the road and will get you killed.

Turning your head from side to side will allow wind to momentarily clear your face shield.

Look out for idiots in cages who slow beyond all reason, be prepared to pass the fools in any manner you can.

If at all possible, get the hell off the road and seek shelter. Heavy rains are often accompanied by wind gusts and lightening. You really need to get under something that is not a tree and off the highway. You are just too hard to see.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #12
NickW1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelstrokeed View Post
Probably the most dangerous situation for a motorcyclist as.
Your vision is impaired by rain all over your face shield. Other drivers won't be able to see you. There is some degree of danger from standing or deep running water.

Some hints:

Avoid the right lane, stay in the fast lane if you can. Why? Less ruts in the tire tracks from big trucks = less standing water.

Do not ride with your flashers on. They are meant for stopping by the side of the road and will get you killed.

Turning your head from side to side will allow wind to momentarily clear your face shield.

Look out for idiots in cages who slow beyond all reason, be prepared to pass the fools in any manner you can.

If at all possible, get the hell off the road and seek shelter. Heavy rains are often accompanied by wind gusts and lightening. You really need to get under something that is not a tree and off the highway. You are just too hard to see.
Finally a decent thread with quality posts! Great advice from all. Any sailor worth their salt always, always checks the weather before putting to sea, motorcyclist should do the same for their planned routes or the daily commute. Sometime you don’t have a choice and you just have to ride out the storm and its best to do that under shelter! Over the years I’ve learned (the hard way) to ignore that urge: “just a few more miles I’m so close” It’s hard has hell to overcome the natural tendencies to keep moving, to reach that goal, but unless you're being chased by a tornado find a wee bit of shelter and hunker down brothers.
Cheers.
NickW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,452
Been there a couple times myself.... nice to know i'm never far from a tim hortons, i'll have a tea and a muffin and wait it out.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
GETTHUMPER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Question Did you learn anything from this

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
The bike was moving, traction was bad..oil had come up from the road. Could not see more than a few car lengths --hitting puddles, looking for chunks of asphalt to indicate there might be a pothole. Anyworse it would have been unrideable. I was in fast track lanes for the last 20ish miles and there was no way or no where to exit...had to keep speed from the traffic coming up behind me.

The sound of the rain hitting the helmet. Wow..ride through these conditions and it makes most rain riding feel enjoyable.
Here's the deal ,,,,,,,,,,,when the weather looks ominous, or the sky has already started opening-up, unless you are an adrenaline junkie looking for a thrill fix,,,,,,,,,,,,,slow down, try to stay on the right, never use the HOV (people crash/break-down, etc...in this lane as well), slow but steady progress is your best scenario.
All The best,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GETTHUMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #15
motif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTHUMPER2 View Post
Here's the deal ,,,,,,,,,,,when the weather looks ominous, or the sky has already started opening-up, unless you are an adrenaline junkie looking for a thrill fix,,,,,,,,,,,,,slow down, try to stay on the right, never use the HOV (people crash/break-down, etc...in this lane as well), slow but steady progress is your best scenario.
All The best,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
exactly, in heavy traffic I would even go farther and pull over as far off the road as possible. Set a tent and wait over.
motif is offline   Reply With Quote