User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
ctfz1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Hard tail Fascination why?

I vaguely remember hard tail bikes from my young days, I do remember the sprung tractor saddles they usually wore.
I do not understand the fascination of some people making modern bikes hard tails.
Just seems wrong. When I see a made hard tail without a sprung saddle I wonder where the smooth roads are.
I do wonder if the loss of suspension travel on cruisers contributed to the art aspect of cruiser riding.
Just, I have wanted more/better suspension out of every bike I have owned.
Is there a rational.
I have ridden a few hard tails long ago. Back breakers.
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,941
The chicks love tough guys?

Meh it's not my bike.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #3
desmocourtney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Its all about the look.
desmocourtney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Jim Day
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 1,192
They are popular because they are stupid easy to build. I wouldn't own one
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #5
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfz1 View Post
I do wonder if the loss of suspension travel on cruisers contributed to the art aspect of cruiser riding.
I suspect they are strongly related. As well the reduction of lean angle.

Many of those works of art are not for riding. Just as many a street rod is not for driving. Yes, either can be ridden or driven, but not in the generic normal sense.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,564
So they can look like a hard-ass whilst posing by the motorbike. Like the genre, it's all about image.

--Bill
Old 05-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #7
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,862
Different styles of bikes for different types of riders. I was fortunate enough to grow up with people that owned choppers and actually rode the crap out of them. I am now fortunate enough to have friends that have choppers and also ride the shit out of them. hell, some of my favorite ride reports on this very forum are of a rider doing world travel on a hardtail chopper. it really is as simple as different strokes for different folks.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 939
i ride a rigid leaf spring fork Indian. in new England. on a fair amount of dirt and gravel which is often in better shape than the old secondary roads we prefer.

honestly, it's not that big a deal. clearly you need to ride the bike at it's own pace, which might not be as fast as a modern bike but i mostly ride with guys on modern stuff and i don't get many complaints about the pace. what i miss about a swing arm bike more than the softer ride is the brakes- the rigid rear end doesn't keep the rear wheel on the road surface when the brake is on, it skips across the high spots. i run 18 pounds air pressure which is what is recommended in the manual and have a properly set up "pogo" seat - that's a sprung seat post so there is some give there too.

i spent years on a bicycle and still mountain bike so maybe i just have lower expectations of comfort but i'm no hero (or idiot) for having a hardtail. the bike is sooo much fun to ride. got somewhere around 8,000 miles last season so i'm not talking about ice cream runs on 3 day weekends either. trying to make the time to ride to seattle this season but work look like it's gonna spoil that plan.
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 AM   #9
Mecano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Large lard asses do not need suspension.
09 CRF 230L
12 Ducati Panigale 1199
Mecano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:13 AM   #10
bomberdave
black cloud wandering

Oddometer: 939
insightful commentary
bomberdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,252
I suppose it's for the simplicity. That and as we all know good suspension is big $.

I don't think I've ever ridden a hard tail MC. I'm sure it would be cool, but my hard tail MTB, is close enough for me.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #12
zerohype
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Because, that's why. Simple answer to a seemingly endless lists of "why" questions. Why does the sun rise in the east and set in the west? Why are you SO concerned with this? Passed by someone on a hardtail whilst riding your GSXR1000?
zerohype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
BadKarma
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
So they can look like a hard-ass whilst posing by the motorbike. Like the genre, it's all about image.

--Bill
Maybe, and I'll grant you in most instances this might be a valid assessment.

But you also have this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Different styles of bikes for different types of riders. I was fortunate enough to grow up with people that owned choppers and actually rode the crap out of them. I am now fortunate enough to have friends that have choppers and also ride the shit out of them. hell, some of my favorite ride reports on this very forum are of a rider doing world travel on a hardtail chopper. it really is as simple as different strokes for different folks.
And this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberdave View Post
i ride a rigid leaf spring fork Indian. in new England. on a fair amount of dirt and gravel which is often in better shape than the old secondary roads we prefer.

honestly, it's not that big a deal. clearly you need to ride the bike at it's own pace, which might not be as fast as a modern bike but i mostly ride with guys on modern stuff and i don't get many complaints about the pace. what i miss about a swing arm bike more than the softer ride is the brakes- the rigid rear end doesn't keep the rear wheel on the road surface when the brake is on, it skips across the high spots. i run 18 pounds air pressure which is what is recommended in the manual and have a properly set up "pogo" seat - that's a sprung seat post so there is some give there too.

i spent years on a bicycle and still mountain bike so maybe i just have lower expectations of comfort but i'm no hero (or idiot) for having a hardtail. the bike is sooo much fun to ride. got somewhere around 8,000 miles last season so i'm not talking about ice cream runs on 3 day weekends either. trying to make the time to ride to seattle this season but work look like it's gonna spoil that plan.
People can and do ride many kinds of motorcycles for many reasons, thank god we're not all tools on Panigales.

I'd heartily recommend RTWDougs RR on his chopper.. It's not for everyone but it was an amazing story.

this guy also seems to enjoy his ride. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=harley&page=2

BadKarma screwed with this post 05-21-2015 at 09:38 AM
BadKarma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,689
I once had a hard tail custom Sportster. Rode it from Fla. to Ma., then gave it away to a friend and took the bus back. Even at 19 years old, my back and ass weren't made for them.

That said, to each his or her own. I don't get the Gold Wing thing, but appreciate those who ride them. Same with the big adventure bikes but, to be fair on those it may be because I have short legs. Doesn't mean I don't appredciate what they are and those who ride them. Same with hard tails.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824

style man, style
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote