Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #31
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky View Post
Still though, the gear head in me isn't ready to switch, or even really experiment yet.
Hey Snarky, my problem is that I cannot find an extension cord long enough to reach from Hell Paso To Lost Causes.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's what's interesting, with rebates from the government and company discounts you actually CAN buy one for your 50% off proposal. Local rag, City Bike just did an article about it. I might have the details a little off, don't have the paper in front of me, but I was surprised at how cheap it would be to get onto one.
When I looked into getting a zero DS, the tax breaks and rebates that were being offered for electric cars didn't apply, maybe they will come back though and make it more "affordable" - otherwise I'd like to know about what other discounts I could get
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #33
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
I've long thought an electric dirt bike or quad could be delightfull. The torque curve of a connected electric motor would be fantastic for controlling my way through tricky parts. No slipping the clutch, no banging up and down the gears. The comparative quiet would also allow me to see more wildlife.

Lack of range is the biggest drawback, though that's changed quite a bit in the past few years. The fun of accidentally running out of power somewhere way back would also not be pleasant. I can walk out and back in with a gas can. Not so easily done carrying a bunch of batteries.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #34
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,934
Personally I think electric motorcycles aren't quite ready for prime time.

But I've had an electrically-assisted bicycle for four years, and it is awesome for getting around the city. It's classified as a bicycle so you can use bike paths, bike racks, take it in the T, etc. But it will go 20mph without any real pedaling and is the fastest way around the city without sweating.

We built it up from a pre-built hub motor and wheel, controller, and upgraded the original sealed lead acid battery back to a 48v Life pack. I've gone 12 miles on one charge, not sure what the real range is - some say it's 40-50 miles.

The best thing is I can pedal up a hill and pass some spandex-clad dude on a $2,000 road bike going uphill, and say "Hey, how's it going" as I pass him. They never seem to notice it's an ebike and kill themselves to get back in front.

Hub motor.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #35
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Michael Rutter did a 104mph average lap of the 37 mile Isle of Man Circuit during the TT Zero in 2012, They were hitting over 150 mph in places. Below is a short video of his team mate during practice. Looks exciting enough for me!

http://youtu.be/4IxEnViCDyg
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #36
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
^^^^^^^^^
What he said!
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #37
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,756
all about range and refueling

I suppose it depends on your definition of adventure riding.

To me it is a long distance, multiday thing. I've carried 33 litres of fuel at times ... difficult enough with a high energy density fuel like petrol (gas) compared to batteries. The isle of man race is only one lap for the electric bikes .. the gas guzzlers do 2 laps on one tank of fuel. And their refueling is quick, much quicker than recharging a battery.

---------------------
For commuting they are fine - short range and long time refueling are not too much of a problem for the average commute.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #38
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
Michael Rutter did a 104mph average lap of the 37 mile Isle of Man Circuit during the TT Zero in 2012, They were hitting over 150 mph in places. Below is a short video of his team mate during practice. Looks exciting enough for me!

http://youtu.be/4IxEnViCDyg
Right. And they can do one lap. Which means that in a four-lap race, which is what the ICE bikes generally do, the electric bikes would lose to a good bicyclist.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #39
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
True, but motorcycling is about having fun. (for me anyway). Id rather do 1 lap at the iomtt at 100 mph plus on an electric bike than four laps on a bicycle!
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #40
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
True, but motorcycling is about having fun. (for me anyway). Id rather do 1 lap at the iomtt at 100 mph plus on an electric bike than four laps on a bicycle!
Well said!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #41
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I am enjoying the evolution

I read the criticisms of the new technology, and I think that they are valid, but short sighted. Electric vehicles have tremendous potential, and it's fun to see something new in the world. It's kinda like seeing your kid play sports- you don't compare him to pro athletes, but you enthuse over his development, and and ponder his future.

One thing that's cool: a silent trail bike can open lots of urban riding locations because you're not pissing off the neighbors with the two stroke racket. For an hour or two of local fun, these bikes are really attractive...but the price needs to come down a bit.

When the commuter bikes can reliably go 100 miles on a charge and cost maybe 8k, they'll start selling well. They'll be great for beating traffic in crowded inner cities, silent, non polluting and nimble. For now, companies like Zero and Brammo need to garner some fleet sales from the likes of police departments or the postal service in order to survive. I look forward to seeing the state of the art in five years!
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #42
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post
I read the criticisms of the new technology, and I think that they are valid, but short sighted. Electric vehicles have tremendous potential, and it's fun to see something new in the world.
Electric vehicles are not new, they have been around just as long as IC vehicles, and have been in constant use for over a century. Fork lifts, plant vehicles, golf carts, and others vehicles that work well within their limitations.
Electric vehicles have been evolving over that time and are enjoying a renewed popularity, but like in the past, if the promised and predicted advances in technologies that don't actually exist don't happen, they will fade away again when reality sets in.

Whats old is new again, 1899 Columbia
Old 02-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Right. And they can do one lap. Which means that in a four-lap race, which is what the ICE bikes generally do, the electric bikes would lose to a good bicyclist.

PhilB
Your bicyclist will also beat a motorcycle in your theoretical four lap race.
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #44
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Like all other EV's, they may be fine for limited use in urban environments, but not ready for prime time.
EV's do have some advantages within their limitations, the real question is what are your limitations.
yup, great value for the short - medium trip commuter, especially if you can plug in on each end

Only 2 things I need to see before I go EV

#1 resupplying energy needs to be as quick as filling a tank of gasoline at the pump
could easily be done if EVs were designed to accept a standard auxillary energy pack, independent of your core batteries, swap out discharged energy packs for charged ones like you do with Blue Rhino propane tanks

#2 how they perform thru several days straight of -25°F
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,178
I am pretty excited about the potential for electric motorcycles. I realize fossil fuels will probably never go away entirely, but just one look at a refinery.... yuck. Then as someone else mentioned, you have to deal with used oil, anti-freeze, etc. I love the sound and feel of my V-twin, but the idea of an almost completely silent bike is appealing as well, especially for off road use. Consider a wildlife management area, where motorized vehicles are not allowed - because of the noise - but if the noise was gone??? Maybe those areas could be opened up to electric vehicles. It sure would make it a lot easier to do some bird watching. Or go on a picnic....

There seems to be a lot of progress being made pretty quickly. As of right now, I think the range is too low, performance is too low, and price is too high. They are getting there though, and if I had a shorter commute, I would seriously consider becoming an "early adopter".

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote