User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Oddometer: 800
Level Chrome Light Weight Tools

Over the years I've seen occasional posts from overseas Advriders depicting intriguing "Asahi" brand tools.

Almost without exception members will ask where they may be obtained... typical literal answer; "http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=41"
...In short, high end Japanese forged tooling by way of Hong Kong Tool shops... aside from that Westerners and Europeans could only salivate.

Recently I decided to try again to surf the web for a source and viola!!! Level Chrome LLC in Irving TX now carries them, and my order was placed late last week.
In near record time I had a few exceptionally well made "Crescent" type wrenches,
  • one of which being a typical 6.5" variant with jaws that can best be described as milled to approx 2mm thick, replacing almost every specialty stamped steel thin wrench I have hoarded for reaching into slender openings too narrow for any conventional wrench;http://www.levelchrome.com/Engineer-...ch-_p_107.html
Not particularly ideal for a trail pack, but VERY handy around the garage.

I have since ordered additional tooling which should arrive soon. Once all the Level Chrome tooling I intend to amass is stowed in my tool roll, expect a thorough review with pictures.

I am not affiliated with them in any way. I DO however fully expect to be doing business with them whenever a tooling requirement can be filled by their product line. I am a retired Marine on a budget, running a modest little machine shop, and can honestly say these guys (Level Chrome) have treated every email inquiry as if we were friends. They volunteer ETA's, product availability status, and do so with an old Americana flair, courteously and with sincerity. This type of service and products are what has compelled me to share my experience. I frequently purchase many upgrades for my Advrider oriented hobbies based on what other members have shared, and now I feel like it is my turn to pass on a great find.

I promise to share more of the product reviews and associated pictures etc, and believe me when I say this, I'm expecting good things from these folks given the unique light weight tooling requirements for my WR250R's expedition gear, and the niche items they carry that appear to be ideally suited to what I have hoped to stumble on for years during my ownership of many previous enduros and dual sport bikes.
More soon.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 09:47 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I think I bought my Vessel JIS screwdrivers from Levelchrome (although it may have been amazon). Many posters over on Garagejournal.com have mentioned levelchrome as a good place to buy Japanese tools.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,776
Do JIS screwdrivers come in different sizes, like Phillips #1, 2, 3? They all look like they're the same size on the Levelchrome site.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
rjsurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Is that 8" adjustable good for replacing a bunch of open ends?

Most of the adjustable's I have used just mar or strip the heads off bolts that are the least bit tight?

Thanks

Ron W.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Do JIS screwdrivers come in different sizes, like Phillips #1, 2, 3? They all look like they're the same size on the Levelchrome site.
As far as I know, they use the same sizing: PH00, PH0, PH1, etc. Apparently JIS screwdrivers will work on Phillips, but Phillips won't work so hot on JIS. If I recall correctly, the screwdrivers I bought (Vessel Megadora) aren't technically JIS screwdrivers, but conform to that standard. Several of the screws on my Strom don't have the JIS marking (the dot on the head), but my Vessel screwdrivers work much better in those than my Williams drivers.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Replacement for open end wrenches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post
Is that 8" adjustable good for replacing a bunch of open ends?

Most of the adjustable's I have used just mar or strip the heads off bolts that are the least bit tight?

Thanks

Ron W.
You are right. Typically adjustables leave something to be desired compared to a dedicated wrench. I usually use it as an alternative to a second set of wrenches when I need to prevent rotation of a backside fastener of a size identical to the driving wrench already in use, or for bending/straightening out damaged fenders, small dia rods, bolts etc. Sort of like a bastard multi-tool when only an adjustable wrench will do.
3 part answer;
  • Its a lightweight 8" adjustable, of good quality possessing great range for its size.
  • So... yes it does replace open ended wrenches well. Still not as good as box wrenches where applicable as far as strength goes, but then again box wrenches won't always fit or attain the fastener.
  • .If you are looking for an outright replacement for an adjustable and/or open ended wrenches, few tools rival this;>
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1...500&artID=2939

They have some decent videos highlighting its features, and have had glowing reviews from many Advriders, who almost to a man stated it effectively replaces anadjustable wrench, open ended wrenches, AND pliers when paring down a tool kit for weight savings.

I have a Knipex 7" on the way (found on ebay) that I'll do a review on.

etingelefunts screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 12:27 PM
etingelefunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Received cool tools from Level Chrome today!

Fully intend to post review once I've sorted out/finalized how and where to stow the new tools on the WR250R adventure bike project.

Very pleased with everything we ordered.

Might be ordering more stuff soon. It's impossible to complete a bike specific kit without raiding my tool chests, all of which could use some fresh tools anyways, so they're undergoing a shuffle of bins and drawers... out with the old in with the new. What does not go into the bike's kit from the Level Chrome acquisitions will spill into the various tool boxes around the house and shop, replacing any veteran pieces that were long in the tooth, or of inferior workmanship.

Hopefully all that will make sense as this thread progresses.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
I just placed an order with Level Chrome... the customer service was good.

I'll post up once I receive the tools.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Nice review of a company just a few miles away. I will definitely check them out and appreciate the good info.

But this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
I am a retired Marine on a budget, running a modest little machine shop, and can honestly say these guys (Level Chrome) have treated every email inquiry as if we were friends. They volunteer ETA's, product availability status, and do so with an old Americana flair, courteously and with sincerity.
Why that's just being Texan.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,053
Oh man, those "Lightool" wrenches... I like.
http://www.levelchrome.com/Asahi-LCW...Set_p_299.html

They're hollowed out in the centers to save weight:

Out of stock, though.

I'll be watching...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
etingelefunts OP
retem-odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

Out of stock, though.

I'll be watching...
Those are part of what I received. VERY light for forged steel wrenches.

I own the Motion Pro Titanium wrenches already, and thought I'd only use the pictured wrenches for extended trips where the torque limitations of ti might pose an achilles heel (I've seen the ti wrenches get tweaked before).

After receiving the Asahi wrenches and comparing the negligible weight increase of the much stronger forged steel, my ti wrenches won't be going back in the bike's tool pouch. Also like that the Asahi set costs less and includes 3 additional sizes not present in either base MoPro set. Win win!

The Asahi kit has the following sizes; 10-12-13-14-17-19... VERY common motorcycle sizes
The Motion Pro includes 8-10-12-13 (OR) 14
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #12
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post

Out of stock, though.

I'll be watching...
I ordered that set... he is going to have them dropped shipped right to my house from Japan at no additional charge.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I received my Lightool wrenches today from Levelchrome and would have to say that I would not spend the money again on the MotionPro Ti wrenches. I weighed the wrenches and compared them to the same sizes in my Craftsman set and also compared the same size Lightool wrenches in my MP Ti set.

Lightool 10,12,13,14,17,19mm = 14 oz.
Craftsman = 1lb. 9oz.

Lightool 10,12,13,14 = 5.6oz
MP Ti = 3.4 oz.

The Lightools look like a quality tool you could use them everyday. For under $50 bucks I would buy again in a heartbeat.
99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote