Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
If you do want to go with a sidecar, our M72DX is offered in left side mounting, we do make left side mounts for the V strom as well as our "leading" legs to reduce trail thus reducing steering effort.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Keep the Wee

And get a Ural. The Ural is already designed for a side car and offers more than just a bike with a chair. I had to make the same decision and went with a Ural for its uniqueness and versatility understanding what its limitations and strengths are and accepted it for what it is; something that is old style and will require some routine maintenance which I find as a connection with the machine and something that is not so common place.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
Ockrocket OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

The Ural is still looking the goods.

However.....today I was offered the chance to take a chair for a ride over the weekend, it is attached to a, er, ummm, er, Yamaha V-Max

I've been told "throttle on" to turn left, "throttle off" to turn right, no actual steering input required

Luxury chair fitted to it from what I'm told, didn't take the tonnue cover off to look as I was in a rush at work today.

The weekend can't get here quick enough.

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockrocket View Post
However.....today I was offered the chance to take a chair for a ride over the weekend, it is attached to a, er, ummm, er, Yamaha V-Max

... if it's your first spin on an outfit ... can I have first dibs on your avatar ?

Quote:
The weekend can't get here quick enough.

... probably not as fast as the first corner ...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #20
Ockrocket OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
... if it's your first spin on an outfit ... can I have first dibs on your avatar ?

... probably not as fast as the first corner ...

My avatar is how I often look on a Friday or Saturday night, late in to the evening

Never ridden an outfit so I'm planning on being REAL gentle with the throttle

If it is raining I'm not going near the bloody thing at all.... I may be silly, but I'm not stupid.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,246

Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #22
Ockrocket OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post

That paddle could come in handy, practical instructions and useful on a manual level too.

"All roads lead to now."

Old 02-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
That paddle could come in handy, practical instructions and useful on a manual level too.
Howdy All,

Two things come to mind, ONE if you find yourself up shit creek, you will have a paddle, TWO you can't say the Russians don't have a sense of humor.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

Two things come to mind, ONE if you find yourself up shit creek, you will have a paddle, TWO you can't say the Russians don't have a sense of humor.
Russians have a sense of humour, but the Yamal is not representative of it. It's American humour pretending to be Russian. In fact Ural is now almost an American vehicle pretending to be Russian. Almost no Russians buy them, and Jiangling in China make more sidecar bikes than Ural does. So much for their claim of being the largest sidecar manufacturer in the world. And their pretence at being a military bike is just laughable.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
I wish I could comment on the Ural but my only experience has been with my Aprilia Pegaso 650 Cube dragging a Sputnik hack. Jay stuffed it all together for me and it's been reliable and fun. FWIW I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge. I ran into a ton of them on my first ride to Alaska on my Ninja 650R, think I may have startled a few of them but that's a different story.

Rather than comment further, if you have the time and are so inclined here's a link to my blog documenting our ride to Deadhorse, Alaska on our hacks. My buddy Mac rode with me on his brand new Ural Patrol so you can get a feel for both types of rigs including break downs, flat tires, electrical issues, etc. As has already been stated there's not much difference in cost between building or buying but there's one helluva lot of difference in reliability, or at least that's how it used to be. Having said that who could say no to a rig with a freaking paddle as part of its kit? If I were thinking of getting into the weird world of hacks I'd give Ural a really close look but regardless of which way you decide to go you'll have a lot of fun.

Onward into the fog...

LL75

http://larrylarry75.blogspot.com/
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 723
Go with the Ural, and keep your Wee for your own personal fun rides. If you really enjoy motorcycling, I think its important to keep a non-hacked bike to reconnect with motorcycling. I say reconnect, because driving a hack isn't anything like driving a motorcycle. Its unique, challenging and rewarding in a completely different way than riding a traditional motorcycle.

Also, the Ural will get you just about anywhere you can take a hack. Its pretty simple, and works very well. The lack of highway cruising simply means you search out backroads and byways to get to where you want to go. If you do need to slab, they do hold 60mph all day pretty well.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #27
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
FWIW I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge. I ran into a ton of them on my first ride to Alaska on my Ninja 650R, think I may have startled a few of them but that's a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
Try riding down a steep'ish hill , come around a corner and find a nice wide deep erosion ditch that no way in hell you are going to straddle on a track barely wide enough for the outfit ... and you're sitting on a k100 bm' outfit with no reverse ... or the sand on the bottom of the river crossing isn't as firm as you first thought when you walked the crossing ... then get back to us about adventure riding

There have been plenty of times when a reverse gear would have saved a lot of sweat and swearing.
Yeah but he's obviously more awesome then most of us, and can even blog and pat himself on the back at the same time.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #28
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
FWIW I never once ran into a need for 2WD but I can see why people feel the need for it since most buyers are new to the game and have never really done any "adventure" riding. Jesus just look at all the BMW guys who spend a fortune at Touratech outfitting their bikes for every possible off road situation and then never get out of Dodge. I ran into a ton of them on my first ride to Alaska on my Ninja 650R, think I may have startled a few of them but that's a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Yeah but he's obviously more awesome then most of us, and can even blog and pat himself on the back at the same time.
Now, now Barry be nice someday maybe we can achieve the status of real adventure riders then we can throw the two wheel drive and reverse away and physically push and pull our rigs like the "real" adventure riders do.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #29
ScottyD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'd love to have my 660 Tenere, and a 2 wheel drive Ural (in a perfect world). Unfortunately they haven't yet overcome the issue of having the chair (with driving wheel) on the other side for the Australian market. Once they get that sorted, I reckon they'd sell a heap of them here.
At least the delay is giving me time to raise the funds to be able to live that particular dream (one day).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ScottyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Reverse is SO IMPORTANT that BMW never used it except on their Zündapp copy. KMZ used 2WD for years before adding reverse. IMZ finally got reverse in the late '70's amd only got 2WD for the US "wanker" market. I love reverse to show off. Yes, I'm a wanker! A few companies used it, H-D being a notable one, though even then, rarely. Is reverse useful? Yes. Is it worth the cost? No. If you need reverse, then you probably need to learn to ride an outfit. Like 2WD it tends to be a crutch for stupidity.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote