MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto67 View Post
This is my new bike.....

Fabio
Perfecto !

Anyone want to buy a 2010 Multistrada S ?

Max
Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #62
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
This was my thought exactly. I'm hoping they look different in person.
I hope they look exactly as in this pic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto67 View Post
This is my new bike.....

Fabio

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #63
GVWR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
They do :-)

Changed my 1200 Multistrada for the Aventure R, I'm riding mine since yesterday in Holland and I'm very happy with the change!
GVWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #64
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I hope they look exactly as in this pic !
Oh, I'm likin' the R. The standard in the orange(ish) I'm not too sure of.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #65
Bikeaddict OP
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVWR View Post

Changed my 1200 Multistrada for the Aventure R, I'm riding mine since yesterday in Holland and I'm very happy with the change!
Tell us more about it when you have the time. Its interesting to hear from someone who made that change. Pros and Cons of each. Your comments on handling, brakes, seat position, whatever ...
Old 03-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #66
Bikeaddict OP

Playing with the 1190's
This one is the R version with 19 inch wheel
http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Sp...tml?sort=3&o=1
And this a modified standard, some parts blackened and the seat from the R model
http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/Sp...tml?sort=3&o=0

(I know that my skills suck but I did it anyway to get an idea )
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #67
RRVT
Wild and Crazy Guy

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict View Post
The R was steadier at high speeds!!! I assume that me being a bit higher and slightly hunched over the front did its wonders. I cannot explain it otherwise. I was really impressed by the R, more so from the standard model, because I expected a more ahem, lively character. Its amazing how electronics tame the 18-21 wheels set up and the bike really goes and steers that well.
This really surprises me. I would've expected the Standard one to be better on roads and at high speeds.

What was the difference in handling and leaning?
RRVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #68
Bikeaddict OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
This really surprises me. I would've expected the Standard one to be better on roads and at high speeds.

What was the difference in handling and leaning?
The one you should expect from different wheel sizes. The R needs more determination to lean, more countersteering, but once its leaning it feels very stable. The standard 1190 steers quicker. Suspension is really ace on both bikes. Since on the R its taller its really no small feat that it can cope with 150 hp and aggressive street riding. I am still very impressed by both bikes but the R although hilarious (!) gets my vote. I mean, I cant imagine how it would behave without the traction control on. A real hooligan party!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #69
Bikeaddict OP

... but then again the R is so focused that it would be difficult to be on it and not pinning the throttle! Thats not a touring or a trailie behaviour. It could be difficult for a previous GS owner to aclimatise on these machines. They have the KTM DNA all over them ...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #70
GVWR
Adventurer

The R is a machine on which I think a lot of previous GS owners would feel comfortable and will be surprised in a pleasant way (if they're tall enough :-).

It's a very civilized and well balanced bike and a real multi purpose tool.
Take it easy with your right hand and it's a comfortable touring bike that handles way better than a 1200 GSA. Use it's potential and you'll be suprised by the speed, it's really Multistrada quick, which is rediculously fast (I used to have one). Bike is amazingly good. Didn't take it off-road yet but this bike really does invite you to do so.

GVWR screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 12:17 PM
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #71
Vito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I need your opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVWR View Post

I have a Multistrada 1200 with 23,000 km and I love the look of the new KTM...what do you missed from your Multi? Which are the main differences?
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #72
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I am also a Mutli owner, 1200. The multi in my opinion is a road bike, the KTM is a true multi purpose bike. I'm over the Italian , poor body panel fit, no rear brake , wind noise that is impossible to resolve , expensive service and parts that cost a bomb . My choices now come down to the WC GS or the KTM , I amunsure if I can loose the HP of the multi in a GS purchase but will know once ridden. IN Australia KTM don't seem to be inclined to rape us on price as much as the Australian Ducati Importer, for a Similar speced Ducati I'll part with $33,000 US dollars. IN Australai we have no import duty on Motorbikes, only taxes are 10% GST, which I believe is similar to other countries.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #73
GVWR
Adventurer

Coming from the Multi the Adventure R is a much relaxter and smoother ride. I was very curious about the front wheel but I am (very!) positively surprised. It's very easy to corner, and it's very stable in corners. Think a lot of that goes back to the suspension which is really nice and much better than on the Multi. No diving when braking and a pleasure to drive on bad roads. Riding position is not comparable since this is much more upright and the bike is a lot higher. Electronics are pretty intuitive to use, menu structure speaks for itself.

If you are used to the Multi you'll probably be very happy with the possibility for touring in low revs without using the clutch (which is also pleasantly light on the KTM). Gearbox is very smooth. Regarding power and speed I would think Multi and KTM are in the same league. Powerdelivery however is completely different and regarding speed I think it's the wider tyres that would give the Multi an advantage in corners. The power delivery seems to be set up to make the power also usable for off-road, the power can be controlled very well in the lower rev range.

If you like a sportsbike engine and it's power but also like an upright position, touring and off road capabilities I definitely recommend a test drive on the KTM. The Multi is great fun and a better road racing bike in disguise, the KTM is a real adventure touring machine, very well balanced and comfortable with a sports engine. For me it's all an adventure bike should be (the 150 would not even be neccessary but it's a very very nice plus).

GVWR screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 01:37 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #74
Bikeaddict OP

Yeah, 150hp is a hyperbole BUT its a KTM ! It really puzzles me the fact that the Multi's front dive is more than the R as you pointed out above. The R has way more travel and when braking from high speeds it does dive a lot. And I did practice severall times on the test ride. Anyway you were the Multi owner, you know better. As far a travelling machine, yes, it could be but it incites you to open the throttle every now and then just to feel the power
Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #75
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I totally agree with you and I can also say that in the off road if works very well, to me better then the 990 adv...