Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
overredtich OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Royal Enfield for a tall guy?

Hey!
Hopfully this is the right forum for this thread.
I'm considering about selling my Kawasaki VN 800 Classic and buying a RE Bullet 500. The reason for this is, because I don't have much time to go on long weekend rides any more. I manly need the bike in town and therefore the Kawa is too big (I live in Austria, so the cityroads are tiny).
I like classic bikes, so the RE looks good and is in my price range. I would prefer a the years of construction of 2010 and 2011, because they seem to be more reliable.

My question now is, as I have to drive far to test some RE's: Is the bike to small for me (1,93m - 6,33 feet)?
Does any big guy here has a RE?

Greets from Austria
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Have you visited www.britbike.com ? Mostly vintage rather than modern, but many good threads there. I rode one, the ergos are like most older style bikes... WAY better than modern designs, in a sit up like a gentleman at the kitchen table kind of way.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I am 2 meters tall (roughly 6'7). I have a 76 350cc Indian Enfield. I might look a bit big for the bike, but I am very comfortable riding it. I love that bike, so go for it!

MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
overredtich OP
Adventurer

Thank you very much, that helped a lot. So the Kawa has to go .

Very cool bike you have there MIOB. I also like your blog.

Greets from Austria
Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Thank you. I was going to say that you are not going to regret it, but then I read that you live in Austria. The Enfield is not a powerful bike, I can't imagine steep alpine roads with modern traffic will be as much fun as riding an Enfield in this flat country, but I might be wrong.
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
rescueMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
MIOB, you don't get much flatter than Holland!
rescueMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
They are pretty comfortable. I'm 5'11" and mine had room to spare.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,095
Cool2 Good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
Thank you. I was going to say that you are not going to regret it, but then I read that you live in Austria. The Enfield is not a powerful bike, I can't imagine steep alpine roads with modern traffic will be as much fun as riding an Enfield in this flat country, but I might be wrong.
Then again it's not power but torque that does the climbing! And the modern ones are jetted (and tested!) up to 18,000 feet. Happily thumping past stricken gs's.

Laughing aside, you'll do just fine. If need be you can always mount raised handlebars. And you'll find it easy to filter through traffic, squeezing right up to the front of the line and blasting away at green. It started out as a top enduro and it still has all the guts. Believe it.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
I'm 6'4" and have a 2011 year model Bullet. It fits me fine. I like the ergonomics of it much better than the 07 Triumph Bonneville I had prior to it.

It's a neat bike as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open. I use it for going to town on, which for me is secondary roads with lower speed limits. No freeway for me. Like another Enfield owner described it, riding one of these at 65 miles per hour on the freeway feels like riding a ten speed bike being pulled by a car. Not fun.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,180
http://cycle-ergo.com/

He has 2 modern Enfields listed - put in your measurements and compare with dozens of other bikes.
Hours of constructive fun!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
overredtich OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB View Post
I'm going to use it mainly in town and because I live in the south of austria the land is flat too in the south direktion. But I think it will be also okay for some mountain touring for me.
Also the reason why I want to get a RE is because, it's a slow bike. I want to step down a little bit, because last summer a friend of my father died on his bike. But also I love biking very much, so I don't want to give it up completely. The RE seems to be a very good bike for my needs --> cheap, not too fast, reliable an good looking; Perfect for geting in town or enjoy the landscape (which is not possible at high speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Then again it's not power but torque that does the climbing! And the modern ones are jetted (and tested!) up to 18,000 feet. Happily thumping past stricken gs's.

Laughing aside, you'll do just fine. If need be you can always mount raised handlebars. And you'll find it easy to filter through traffic, squeezing right up to the front of the line and blasting away at green. It started out as a top enduro and it still has all the guts. Believe it.
Thank you! Good to read that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I'm 6'4" and have a 2011 year model Bullet. It fits me fine. I like the ergonomics of it much better than the 07 Triumph Bonneville I had prior to it.
It's a neat bike as long as you go into it with your eyes wide open. I use it for going to town on, which for me is secondary roads with lower speed limits. .
Perfect. That's what I wanted to read :) Also I love the color of your bike! Absolutly fabulous !

So, the Kawa has to make room for the RE fast. Hopefully some guy will sell his RE in dessert style or green in meantime. At the moment I found a shop who sells the 2010 Bullet classic in a sort of turquois. The colour is okay but if I would buy that bike, I know it would be paintet black in a few years .

I've got one question: Does the new RE's come with a kickstarter or not? I read different things in the inet and the bike I found doesn't have on.
Would it be possible to equip it with a kickstart afterwards?

Thank you all for your answers!

Greets from Austria
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overredtich View Post

I've got one question: Does the new RE's come with a kickstarter or not? I read different things in the inet and the bike I found doesn't have on.
Would it be possible to equip it with a kickstart afterwards?

Thank you all for your answers!

Greets from Austria
Good news. All models now have a kickstarter.
The C5 (bullet classic) of 2010 & 2011 and its derivative C5 military missed it which caused much heart sore. Especially since all other models did have the cool factor. Hence the Classic now comes complete.

Which is a good thing! I rarely use the ES. Kickstart is easy and works first kick. You'll love it.

Have a look at this one (Bullet Electra, 2010, hence with KS).

Yeah, I know, it's muddy, but nothing is more fun than sliding through mud on a kickstarted enfield
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Good news. All models now have a kickstarter.
The C5 (bullet classic) of 2010 & 2011 and its derivative C5 military missed it which caused much heart sore. Especially since all other models did have the cool factor. Hence the Classic now comes complete.

Which is a good thing! I rarely use the ES. Kickstart is easy and works first kick. You'll love it.

Have a look at this one (Bullet Electra, 2010, hence with KS).

Yeah, I know, it's muddy, but nothing is more fun than sliding through mud on a kickstarted enfield
That's not entirely correct. My 2011 C5 Military has a kickstart (picture posted earlier in this thread).
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Rango
Phaneropter

Cry I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
That's not entirely correct. My 2011 C5 Military has a kickstart (picture posted earlier in this thread).
Mea culpa,

Ok, guess some discrepancy in shipping to States versus Europe plus production vs delivery date. Model names are equally confusing, even between countries. All that comes naturally to Enfield. Future purists will have heated debates down to bolts and nuts.

Bottomline is: kickstart on all new ones.

By the way, nice desert model. How does the pipe affect the sound?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

It added a nice sound to it. It's just a cheap Emgo slip-on muffler I bought from Dennis Kirk for about 60 dollars or so. I just ceramic coated it and the headpipe to tone down the look a bit. As you can tell with the black powdercoating and ceramic coating, I'm slowly removing all of the shiny from the bike. I need to pull the wheels off and powdercoat them too.

I've since built a rear rack for the bike to give it some utility.