User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Question Abs

I did a couple of searches but couldn't find a thread dealing with this. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I see that some folks disconnect and/or remove the ABS systems on their rigs.

Why?

Thanks, Duncan
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
I did a couple of searches but couldn't find a thread dealing with this. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I see that some folks disconnect and/or remove the ABS systems on their rigs.

Why?

Thanks, Duncan
My 04 had ABSi the power brakes, it automatically adjusted braking front to rear no matter if one used the pedal or the lever.It was really sensitive to battery voltage if one ran allot of stuff on a tired battery it would freak out at about 11 volts and shut down the power brakes making it very hard to ride in traffic.I didn't really mind it as a single but didn't care for it on the sidecar.DB
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
It can be apersonal preference as far as abs goes. I do not care for it on sidecar outfits especially when off road. Some depends on riding technique and all i guess. I think, especially on off road or dirt road looser surfaces , I have more personal control if riding with any agression at all without the ABS being hooked up. Some bikes have a feature where you can turn off th eABS. This is a great thing for thos ewho like the best of both worlds. Last year at th efinger lakes rally one person took an ABS equipped sidecar on their dual sport run. She did okay but that along with the traction control made a fiasco of the thing. Pick your weapon and go for it.....there may be debate on both sides of the line bhirthed from personal experience I supose. The deal about KISS (keep it simpek stupid) does hold alot of weight in my humble opinion.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
ABS is probably for the usual reasons (offroad, etc) but on a lot of beemers I rather suspect it's also for unlinking the brakes.

On my Ural I use a little tick of front brake to induce drift on a spirited turn (basically slowing the front a bit so my ass trys to pass the front resulting in a tendency to sideslip, yaaaay.) On a linked brake system that would brake the front and back no matter what I do, which would cause me to slow rather than drift. Sounds wrong.

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've had ABS on my solo bikes for pretty much as long as BMW has offered it. It has saved my bacon at least a half-dozen times, and saved me from embarrassment a few more.

I had power ABS brakes on my 2005 and 06 RTs and didn't like it but had no real problems with them.

The 2005 GS tugging my rig also has power, linked, ABS. Again, I don't like, but can deal with, the power brakes. Using the rear brake pedal applies only the rear brake. I can turn off the ABS when I'm off road but the "linked" function stays on, even with ABS off, so using the front brake lever also applies the rear brake.

That means I can't really use the throttle and front brake to induce drift in corners - not sure I'm a good enough rider to do that anyway.

Are there any other disadvantages to having ABS on a sidecar rig?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,885
Sompin I been ponderin for a while now, is would it be possible to take the semi linked abs on my '07 GS...the sensor and abs ring, from the front wheel/fork, and switch it around so the rear brake pedal is linked and activates the chair wheel, and have the front without abs or linked?
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Sompin I been ponderin for a while now, is would it be possible to take the semi linked abs on my '07 GS...the sensor and abs ring, from the front wheel/fork, and switch it around so the rear brake pedal is linked and activates the chair wheel, and have the front without abs or linked?
Don't do that taking the ABS off is allot of work and can't possibly be that easy.DB
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Why..??

Not trying to hijack this or being an arschloch....

I'd personally never go out of my way to defeat a safety feature. Seems like an immature thing to do no matter how old you may be.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post

I'd personally never go out of my way to defeat a safety feature. Seems like an immature thing to do no matter how old you may be.

cheers...
ABS can interfere with proper off pavement riding techniques, which makes it a liability under certain conditions.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I might leave it all abs, but rejigger the linking such that front lever is only front, rear is both back or all three. No sense in removing abs if it can be turned off on demand.

Come to think of it making all three ABS and having a variable balance on the back that you dial in would give a rig an amazing ability to drop anchor.

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:

cheers...
I agree 200 %, in panic breaking mod, you do not know how you will react, neither the rig, so better to rely on the ABS (on all 3 wheels on my rig) to stop in line and in time.
twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
dholaday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Elmer:

As I said earlier, ABS has saved me a few times on my solo bikes. I am just curious as to why some folks think it is a good idea to remove it on a sidecar rig. So far, the only downside to having ABS on a rig seems to be that it [actually not the ABS but the linked braking] makes it pretty much impossible to drift the rear wheel using throttle and a touch of front brake lever. Certainly not enough reason for me to remove ABS.

TwinTwin:

How did you get ABS on the hack wheel?

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
ABS can interfere with proper off pavement riding techniques, which makes it a liability under certain conditions.
Oh, sure....shut it off on demand if your bike is so equipped. Offroad; always turn it off... don't ask me why!!??

In my thousands of miles..either pavement or offroad..I wouldn't want non-ABS on my bike(s).

As for the servos (2005 1200GS) which most of you don't like...I learned to love them, when lugging this heavy contraption you call a sidecar; Tub; Big Boy, car, etc...with just my pinky I could stop the whole heavy rig on a dime. Then again after much practice and many road miles I came to perfect a sudden stopping sequence in order to stop straight by feathering the tubs braking system as well.

You are right that if so equipped with linked brakes and ABS off..the "link" is still there but noticed that the rear brake brakes much more than the front! Try it on a dirt road and slam on the front brakes. Stop, dismount and observe that the rear carves a deeper groove compared to the front?

But ABS..oh, man...squeeze ths sucker...even if it won't stop straight because the car is pulling somewhere else...it will stop, slide, somersault to a halt neverthless!

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 11:37 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
But ABS..oh, man...squeeze ths sucker...even if it won't stop straight because the car is pulling somewhere else...it will stop, slide, somersault to a halt neverthless!

cheers...
LOL...Elmer you are a trip. Don't do the somersalt maneuver Duncan...it sucks trust me. Could make a great video though.
Serious trying things on consitant loose surfaces is good practice.,.go for it.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
Elmer:

How did you get ABS on the hack wheel?

Thanks,
Duncan

I cannot take pictures of my 04 R1150GSA rig, cause it is right now in the magic hands of Claude's team to get some work done.
Below is a picture of the break set up of a EZS R1150R rig of a friend who live not even a mile down the road. Mine will be the same.
On my other rig, R1100GS, I have a separate pedal for the chair break, but again, in case of emergency stopping, I do not know how my right foot will react with these 2 different pedals.

twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote