ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #241
Flashmo
Whatever...
 
Flashmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vagabond Hippie
Oddometer: 2,539
Marked, so I can keep up...
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:03 AM   #242
bgt595
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Battle Ground, Wa.
Oddometer: 96
SUBSCRIBED.....Nice writing and great pictures!
bgt595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #243
miksail
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 35
Which way did they go?

Hey, DP, any plan to share details of your route? I know several of us would like to duplicate your ride.
miksail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #244
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Been working the last 2 days fellas.
Working on the RR right now
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #245
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer
 
STBNE's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Southern Comfort
Oddometer: 5,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Been working the last 2 days fellas.
Working on the RR right now
hurry up...gotta have my daily fix of how dem joisey boys get lost on the Lost Coast...
__________________

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #246
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
hurry up...gotta have my daily fix of how dem joisey boys get lost on the Lost Coast...


I'm workin on it !
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #247
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Day 12

Next day, 12th day in fact into this epic trip.
Lota dirt under our wheels, and some more still to go, we head for the Lost Coast.
We say goodbye to the Hoopa Nation and ride down the mountain.

Classic California


I'm not sure about these horses. Wild ? Not ?
As far as we could tell they were not fenced in.






We fuel up and grab a coffee in:


The common theme throughout this entire journey.


This is where we would split up for a bit. Bruce and I would head right for the Kings Range and Shelter Cove. We had the urge to get in early afternoon and kick back.






John and Mike would take Showers Pass Road on the route.


Did I say "classic California" ?


John-John rippin it on the WR


Mikes Panzer negotiating the switchbacks in which there were no shortage of.


Lunch








From the GSA cockpit
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 10:39 AM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #248
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Day 12 Continued

Bruce and I on the road to Shelter Cove.






Just passing through........


I ride through Garberville
Garberville is named for Jacob C. Garber, a resident of the town in 1879
Today Garberville has been called "the marijuana heartland of the US" by BBC News.



And we could see why !

We'll revisit Garberville again tomorrow.

I grab lunch there and head directly due west for the Pacific.
At this point in the day I am riding solo. I suspect Bruce is way out ahead of me, Mike and John somewhere to the north.
I start to climb the:


Another sign marks one of this trips milestones. This was:
"The King Range and Lost Coast" !!!
I can feel the air change quickly. The temperature and the smell. It goes from a warm to hot, dry climate, to a moist and cool one.


At the crest of the range I decide to explore a bit and take the extremely steep


I climb


And climb


Still climbing !


I finally reach the top of the King Range.

And what a spectacular view it was
The Pacific just slightly veiled in her ever present partner, the fog.


I mean, think about it. I'm from Jersey, but here I was, alone, on this crystal clear afternoon on top of the King Range in northern California overlooking the Pacific. I shut the bike off. I had to. This was one of life's precious moments.
(don't tell my wife I said that )
What your seeing out in the backround is the Pacific Ocean from way above sitting on the King Range.




This road was a nice 12-15 mile loop, just as steep going down the other side too.


Having not seen Bruce or John and Mike for a few hours now. I head for....


for the rendevous.....

I'll be bring you into Shelter cove from Mike and Johns way in next..........
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 01:49 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #249
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,094
Hey Frank, I stayed at the oceanfront inn and really liked their restaurant in shelter cove last june. Hope you guys tried the restaurant. Beautiful area.
I took the paved road in.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #250
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Hey Frank, I stayed at the oceanfront inn and really liked their restaurant in shelter cove last june. Hope you guys tried the restaurant. Beautiful area.
I took the paved road in.
Hey Marty !
Yes sir, stay tuned.
Will take you in to Shelter Cove via from Mike and John pov in a bit.
We all rendezvous there and base out of Shelter Cove for a 2nd day at the Lost Coast. There is more to explore!
Details and pics coming up !
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 01:28 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #251
byways
byways
 
byways's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,029
Just some further insight into what travelers are looking at when they're gazing out from the King Range, along the Lost Coast.

What you're witnessing is the collision right here of continually shifting tectonic plates of the Earth's crust. The plate beneath the ocean is moving east, and diving beneath the continental plate. The western edge of the continental plate is scraping up seabed sediments as the eastern edge of oceanic plate dives below, creating these vaulting sedimentary mountains, which rise thousands of feet right at the ocean's edge. Not surprisingly, this is major earthquake country, with three tectonic plates colliding just offshore at what's called the Mendocino Triple Junction.

When the Pacific Coast Highway -- famous HWY 1 -- was assembled, these mountains were too daunting and the seabed sediments too erosive to penetrate, forcing the highway builders to take the long bend inland to connect with US 101, the Redwood Highway. That left this rare chunk of coastal wildland -- today's "Lost Coast" -- largely undeveloped. Yet a number of small "doghole" ports like Bear Harbor used to be busy, with small railroads and cable systems loading logs and people onto small ships anchored off-shore.

I get off on this sh@t.

byways screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 12:55 PM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #252
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley
 
madeouttaglass's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Smithereens- or what's left of it in NY
Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
I mean, think about it. I'm from Jersey, but here I was, alone, on this crystal clear afternoon on top of the King Range in northern California overlooking the Pacific. I shut the bike off. I had to. This was one of life's precious moments.
(don't tell my wife I said that )
I've been (impatiently) waiting for this part of your trip. I couldn't agree more.
__________________
Our ride across the USA on a Ural Gear Up- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #253
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer
 
johnpitts01's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Oddometer: 836
Thank you professor Huegel for the geography and geology lesson.
Now crawl back under an Idaho rock until the Cap'n is done with the Ride Report. Then you can add all the anecdotes you like.



Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Just some further insight into what travelers are looking at when they're gazing out from the King Range, along the Lost Coast.

What you're witnessing is the collision right here of continually shifting tectonic plates of the Earth's crust. The plate beneath the ocean is moving east, and diving beneath the continental plate. The western edge of the continental plate is scraping up seabed sediments as the eastern edge of oceanic plate dives below, creating these vaulting sedimentary mountains, which rise thousands of feet right at the ocean's edge. Not surprisingly, this is major earthquake country, with three tectonic plates colliding just offshore at what's called the Mendocino Triple Junction.

When the Pacific Coast Highway -- famous HWY 1 -- was assembled, these mountains were too daunting and the seabed sediments too erosive to penetrate, forcing the highway builders to take the long bend inland to connect with US 101, the Redwood Highway. That left this rare chunk of coastal wildland -- today's "Lost Coast" -- largely undeveloped. Yet a number of small "doghole" ports like Bear Harbor used to be busy, with small railroads and cable systems loading logs and people onto small ships anchored off-shore.

I get off on this sh@t.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #254
byways
byways
 
byways's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 2,029
I'm just sayin' ...
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #255
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Meanwhile during day 12

John and Mike are on:
Mattlole Road Lost Coast






B&W










Nice eye !
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 01:48 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014