User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
brooklyn slim OP
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,653
tired of my wee, what's my next bike?

I posted here a few days ago with some questions about the Stelvio. Very helpful replies from our resident Guzzisti.

Another angle: I ride a 2006 Wee. I like the bike for my purposes - just about 100% road, commuting and medium trips (100-300 miles) and rare longer ones.

Dead reliable, fits me fine, handles well enough for a rider with my riding style (I'm no hot dog but not boring either). And of course there's the Wee's legendary stunningly good looks...

But the suspension sucks, it needs more power and I'd like something with more....character. Whatever, I'm itching to start the spring with a new bike.

Something about the Stelvio really attracts me, despite my not having a chance to ride one. But I'm thinking more and more that it might be impractical for my purposes - too heavy, mostly.

I'm looking to sit upright and not feel cramped (6'1") and I don't want a behemoth. Reliable and with great handling. Comfortable.

So here's the question: coming from a DL650, what will I not like about an 800 Tiger roadie, which at this point seems the leading candidate? Reliability and comfort similar to the Suzuki?

Is the new Wee different enough to warrant a look? Anyone get one and wish they'd held onto their old Wee intead?

Any other candidates I should consider? I'm thinking that the BMW 800GS may be more offroad oriented and less suited to longer rides, and the Honda NC is more vanilla than my bike with probably not much more power. Agree? Other options?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,932
I went from a wee to a Honda 919 and a r100gs now I'm going to go from them to a tenere, most likely.
I rode a f800 and was totally not into it. I didn't like the feel of the Thairumph when I looked it over at the ims show last year.

The nc really has size and mpg going for i. But I suspect with its lower output engine it will be very dull compared to the v twin of the dl650.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
Is the new Wee different enough to warrant a look? Anyone get one and wish they'd held onto their old Wee intead?
IMO, yes.

And yes, I've had a K7, K9, and now the new version, that I think is the best of the three (well, I´ve still got the K7, too – but that´s another story........ )

Pecha72 screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 11:38 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
omeoxlv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
stop following the herd

Quote:
I posted here a few days ago with some questions about the Stelvio. Very helpful replies from our resident Guzzisti.

Another angle: I ride a 2006 Wee. I like the bike for my purposes - just about 100% road, commuting and medium trips (100-300 miles) and rare longer ones.

Dead reliable, fits me fine, handles well enough for a rider with my riding style (I'm no hot dog but not boring either). And of course there's the Wee's legendary stunningly good looks...

But the suspension sucks, it needs more power and I'd like something with more....character. Whatever, I'm itching to start the spring with a new bike.

Something about the Stelvio really attracts me, despite my not having a chance to ride one. But I'm thinking more and more that it might be impractical for my purposes - too heavy, mostly.

I'm looking to sit upright and not feel cramped (6'1") and I don't want a behemoth. Reliable and with great handling. Comfortable.

So here's the question: coming from a DL650, what will I not like about an 800 Tiger roadie, which at this point seems the leading candidate? Reliability and comfort similar to the Suzuki?

Any other candidates I should consider? I'm thinking that the BMW 800GS may be more offroad oriented and less suited to longer rides, and the Honda NC is more vanilla than my bike with probably not much more power. Agree? Other options?

Thanks.
Perhaps the problem here is that you will find this situation repeated if you keep choosing the "common" or "popular" or "best selling" model?
The issues you raise seem familiar and partly revolve around a wish for a dual sport, even one that really isnt when you come down to it.
Maybe it comes down to economics, if you can only afford one bike then the choice is limited but if one or two are possible then maybe a pure road bike isnt such a bad choice. We wouldnt want to go for a pure sports bike as they are too hard and fast but for a MotorCycling gentleman of some discretion who would maybe like to do some "relaxed hooning" I would like to suggest one of Yamahas finest (now discontinued). And if you are in the states then you are fucked.
But , its the MT01, different, very pleasing to ride and own-----
heres mine
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8ee7d022.jpg
omeoxlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,865
I have a 2010 Wee and I've ridden the 800 Tiger and the G650GS. If I was going for a road oriented bike I'd snap the Tiger up in a second. The GS was the most boring piece of machinery I've ever ridden and I once owned a PC800 so that's saying something. The new Honda NC actually has less hp and is heavier than the Wee so it's a non-starter in my book. For my style of riding and what I want to do my replacement for the Wee will probably be a Husky Terra - I want a more offload oriented bike - but for sheer fun and sex appeal I'd take a Tiger.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
I went from a Wee-Strom to a Tiger 800 XC. The only thing I miss the Wee for is winter riding (because I don't want the Tiger to get corroded from all the salt spray). The Tiger is a superior bike in every way except one: fuel consumption/range. In that regard the Wee is better because it gets slightly better gas mileage and the tank fits nearly a gallon more gas.

Still, the Tiger is so much better in every other way that I wouldn't want to ever go back. And I actually put 40,000 miles on my Wee-Strom, so I did like that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I didn't like the feel of the Thairumph...
Might want to educate yourself before you make stupid comments like that. The Tiger is made in Triumph's UK factory, not their Thai one.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I recently bought a 2012 Tiger 800 Roadie and have 2000 miles on it. (coming from BMW R1100/1150RTs and Triumph Tiger 955i) For me it needs a taller windshield and a better seat and hard bags. The stock seat is at Russells right now for a redo, I'll be ordering the 9" Jesse Safari bags for it in March and I'm using the Triumph taller adjustable windscreen which is good up to about 65mph. Eventually I'll get a Palmer adjustable windscreen.

The suspension on the Roadie could use an upgrade but it's not too bad, a little stiff but seems to be softening up as the miles increase. The engine, transmission, fuel injection and ABS brakes are the best I've had on any bike. And the lighter weight is a welcome change from my previous bikes.

Test ride the Tiger 800 and see how you like it. For me the 800 Roadie is the perfect back road touring bike.

Photo Boy screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:02 AM
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
I sold my 2006 650 Strom looking for a bike with more character.
I liked the Strom and often refer to it as the "goodest" bike I have ever owned.

I bought a 2010 Buell Ully XT, fun bike, but a bit too much character for me.

After the Buell, I ended up buying a low mile used Versys on a whim.
It was cheap and I really needed something to commute on.

I figured I would sell the Versys after 1/2 a year or so and buy something like a tiger 800 XC which had just came out.

Still have the Versys.
It has a lot of the goodness (reliable, trouble free, cheap to own) of the Strom mixed with a lot of the funness of the Buell.
I have done a few mods like a corbin seat and bars risers, its easily as comfortable as my Strom was with similar mods.
I dont think it makes any more power than the Strom, but how it makes its power is so much more fun.
Top gear roll ons are also noticeably more punchy

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 08:21 AM
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 254
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650

Quote:
IMHO, you'll like the 800 tiger power. looks pretty good too, except for passenger comfort. the new wee is different but, not enough to warrant a look. for example, new wee has smaller fuel tank, lower red-line, and is heavier than the old wee. and the new wee styling kinda looks cheap. g-luck with your new bike and ride safe.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I spent some time riding Wee-Stroms, trying to talk myself into buying one. I rode the 2012 DL650 as well. It IS an improvement over the old wee, in my opinion. Still, it didn't give me that "special feeling"...

I rode multiple bikes in my search for my first adventure bike. I bought the Tiger 800 XC immediately after test riding it (and after months of research). I believe it will provide nearly the same reliability and mileage as the wee. The motor is AWESOME, and I love the looks!

Go ride several bikes, one of them will "speak to you."
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
There ia a little bit of diffrence between my 2011 and my buddy's 2013 V, and the narrow tank seems to fit be better. I to find the V as a ok unit, but a change up for me will be latter on. I'm doing up a custom DRZ for my all rounder being that I only do 600 or 800 km days. Most of my stuff is in Western Canada, and my out side circle is 1200 kms max, and this is on the odd trip once and a while, so my V days will fade away in the next few years as well.

I like the v for what it does, but I'm more of a 50/50 dude, so the little DRZ will fit me well. It's nice to be not boring, and change is good. Thats what makes biking fun.

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
the new wee is different but, not enough to warrant a look. for example, new wee has smaller fuel tank, lower red-line, and is heavier than the old wee.
You´re right about the tank size, it is 20 liters (vs 22 for the older one). But the funny thing is, consumption has come down, too, so range remains just about the same, you just need to buy less fuel. I dunno where you´ve got that it´s heavier, should actually be lighter (dry/curb weight thing often leads to confusion). And there are many other improvements over the older model as well, so I disagree about not being worth a look.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 136
I think it's called a KTM

Had similar symptoms to yours, and the big Katoom cleared them all up. Unique look, lots of head turns, fast and awesome suspension.

bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Ktm 1190 adv

That or the tenere will be my replacement for my wee. Mostly for the same reasons you mention.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM   #15
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
Quote:

Sounds like you are describing a Super Tenere to a T. Don't ride the spec-sheet, take one for a test ride.

Btw, I test-rode an 800 Tiger. Fun bike but lacks big bike grunt. Maybe ok coming off a Wee though. Definitely more comfy than an F800GS.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote