Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #16
vellies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I also had a Wee and sold it because I got bored, and wanted more power. Bought a GSX1250FA less than a year ago and have done 10,000km........ Lots of power, but OMG now I am really bored...... I miss my Wee

So, I am again shopping, went through testing a bunch of naked bikes like the Monster and Speed Triple to land on the Speed Triple R, just to realize that for $2k more in AUS I can have a standard new MultiStrada, which is a bike I have been drooling over for the past 4 years. Even my wife is approving as she knows how long I have wanted one, but it is a lot of $.

I think I am going to take one for a test ride, and would suggest you have a look at the Multi, to me it has all the good points that I loved about the Wee, and fixes the "negatives".

On the Tiger 800, it is not for everyone. I looked at it on the web and loved it, went to sit on it and hated the seat / position, so did not even go for a test. May be a great bike, just not for me.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
brutusfly
Commuter ADVWannabe

Oddometer: 15
Same here. Only bike that seems tempting to me against the my '12 Wee would be a Multi. But for that kind of money, I could keep the Wee and and buy it a nice café, or dual-sport, or dirt companion.
brutusfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
brooklyn slim OP
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
...I'm looking to sit upright and not feel cramped (6'1") and I don't want a behemoth. Reliable and with great handling...
I'm thinking this might not be the Multi's long suit. Plus they're around 20 large, aren't they? Nice to have a little money left over for gas after I buy the bike..

I've heard the Duke's a marvel, but it's probably not for me.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
vivo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
You really need to ride a few bikes to see what interests you. I ordered the Stelvio but I had a griso and concours 14. The guzzi has a great feel and character and it's a great handling long distance machine . Weight itself is meaningless. How the bike feels when riding is everything, if that weight is in the right place and the balance is good, the scale weight is irrelevant.

Vivo
vivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
I'm in the same boat as you, after being on my second Wee and spending the better part of $2,000 getting the suspension and brakes up to spec. Next bike, I don't want to have to spend another couple thousand making it not squishy.

I can't speak to any of the other dual-sports, but you say that you're 100% road-oriented, so my advice to you is this;

Do NOT. NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT test ride the new Ducati Hypermotard. Don't do it. Seriously, don't. Especially don't test ride the SP verison, with the new 110hp engine, fully adjustable suspension, Ohlins rear shock, and super-bike brakes. Just don't do it.

Or the Hyperstrada version, with the luggage and touring seat and other goodies.

Because as soon as you do test ride one, you'll start trying to auction off your first born son to come up with the $13k sticker price.

(I rode one for a few sessions at a Ducati Demo Trackday last year, and it still makes me shiver just thinking about how good it was. Fingertips have memories, mine can't forget the curve of it's power band . . .)
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Why not save your money for one these bad boys?:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-r-first-ride/

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
I just bought a new 2012 V-Strom 650 Adventure. In fact, I haven't even taken delivery of it yet as the dealership is installing the OEM top case for me. I was shopping for a new bike, and I considered all of the bikes mentioned here, and more. The problem that I encountered was that I kept thinking "well, that one is just a little bit more...". I finally just threw in the towel, and figured that the new 'Strom would do all that I wanted, and more, so I bought it. The only other bike that I was seriously considering was the KTM 990 SM-T. It does everything the little 650 does, but has "that motor". The ability to snap up a 3rd gear wheelie is hard to let go of. In the end, I felt like I should grow up, and drop all pretenses of hooliganism on the street, and save my "enthusiasm" for my dirt bikes.
Reading your post, I would suggest the KTM. I have owned a Triumph triple before, and while they are marvelous motors, I did not feel that it had significantly more "soul" than any other bike I have owned. Any bike is what you make it. A 'Guzzi Stelvio is a marvelous machine, one that you would be proud to leave behind for one of your distant offspring to find in the barn, and to think of him being told: "This was Grandpa's bike", and having him be all excited when a dusty blanket is lifted off of the machine. I really can not see that happening with a V-Strom. The KTM would be more like him finding a Ferrari under that blanket.
For me, it came down to the SM-T, and the V-Strom. In the end, buying the V-Strom meant that I would have extra money left over to buy a new KTM EXC. I will always wonder if I made the right decision...

BTW - I was also seriously considering the Multistrada and the Hyperstrada. The Hyper has longer service intervals than the KTM! In the end, I just didn't want a bike that I nervous to change the timing belts on (or a bike that had belts at all!).
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
richtidebruin
Lurking since 2003..

Oddometer: 12
I went from a 2005 Wee to a 2010 KTM 990, and found it hard to compare the 2. The KTM is so much more bike for off road, and compared to a Wee, so much more on road too. The beauty of the Wee is the low price point, reliability and the low cost of ownership. But if you can find a lowmile, late-model, used KTM, then (for me) it would be hard to justifying paying roughly the same amount for a 2012 650. There's no question the KTM speaks more to the soul.
richtidebruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
After looking long and hard for a wee... er

Ahem. After trying to replace my dl650, I've come to the conclusion that all I can do best-case is a direct replacement (with a newer dl650).

You can side-grade, but you're going to have to compromise (cost, efficiency, power, nimbleness, reliability, etc). I think that will be okay for me, but maybe not for you.

Try and figure out what areas you can accept compromise on, what aspects you want more of, then re-focus your search.

Or, get a white 2013 dl650 and be happy.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtidebruin View Post
I went from a 2005 Wee to a 2010 KTM 990, and found it hard to compare the 2.
The SM-T is much more street oriented, and probably a better comparison to the Wee. My '12 650A was $8.8k. The dealership had a '12 SM-T for $14k. For me, it was a difficult decision. In the end, the combination of reliability, range, weather protection, comfort, and value drove me towards the Wee.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMac View Post
Why not save your money for one these bad boys?:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-r-first-ride/
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/06...t-ride-review/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
how about a 2014 dl1000?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831026
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #28
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusfly View Post
Same here. Only bike that seems tempting to me against the my '12 Wee would be a Multi. But for that kind of money, I could keep the Wee and and buy it a nice café, or dual-sport, or dirt companion.
Try one. They are worth every penny/cent. It's my first "Adventure" syled bike after 15-odd sports and Super Motard bikes and was a revelation.
I didn't want a GS, I rode one and hated it, it felt slow and ponderous. Tried a 950 Adventure, gutless.
I realised I was still looking for sportsbike power but something a little more comfortable in my maturing years.
A few of my mates bought Explorers. Sadly my local dealer is a wanker who I wouldn't trust to service a rock so Triumph was out of the equation.
So without trying one (!) I bought a year old MTS1200S as I liked the look of it and it's power output, plus it was a little "left field" of the mainstream UJM Adventure bikes.
A year on, I still absolutely love it. I covered 7000 miles on it last year, it hasn't missed a beat and the combination of handling, power and comfort would be pretty hard to beat.
400 mile days are pretty easy (try that on a GSXR), with the luggage I can bugger off for a week and with services every 7500 miles the costs are just about bearable.
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,123

I have a Tiger 800 rodie.

Here it is the day I bought it in March 2011.

Doing some laps around the dealership before I rode it home in April.

On a ride in 2012.

It's fast, handles like a dream, and is comfortable to ride.

I love it.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 01:19 PM
thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #30
camodog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I just bought my new Wee today. Ya it is slow, but thats what the GSXR is for. I am ok with the power, but the stock can is just too quiet for me
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote