Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #46
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn slim View Post
As usual, the collective wisdom and (mostly) thoughtful opinions around this place amaze me.

Thinking more that the Stelvio and Tenere are more bike than I need (though that realization doesn't do much to diminish their allure) - 15 large, 600 lbs and 1.2 liters to mostly commute and take 200-300 mile trips makes me think of the douches who use their Land Rovers primarily to make Whole Foods runs.
Gotta call BS on this line of thought. Like most people who work, I don't have the time to take off on multi-week bike trips more than once or twice a year so the majority of my time is spent commuting 160 miles M-F and doing 300 mile day trips on weekends. But riding daily rain or shine, I can still fully appreciate the virtually maintenance-free nature of the shaft-driven Tenere, its good weather protection and the fact that its excellent ABS brakes, nimble handling and torquey engine make it fairly easy to avoid the drivers trying to kill me.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #47
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,369
I concur.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #48
brooklyn slim OP
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Gotta call BS on this line of thought. Like most people who work, I don't have the time to take off on multi-week bike trips more than once or twice a year so the majority of my time is spent commuting 160 miles M-F and doing 300 mile day trips on weekends. But riding daily rain or shine, I can still fully appreciate the virtually maintenance-free nature of the shaft-driven Tenere, its good weather protection and the fact that its excellent ABS brakes, nimble handling and torquey engine make it fairly easy to avoid the drivers trying to kill me.
Should've phrased my comments better. No offense meant, only wanted to say that, for my purposes, I'd feel like an overkiller with a big trailie. Of course, ask me again tomorrow and I might have just as well put a deposit on one.

I've heard nothing but good things re the S10, and I'm glad you're enjoying ours.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #49
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,369
Funny thing is if you had named any of the suggested replacements as the bike
you were tired of how many people would recommend you look at a 650 Strom.

Ain't always greener...
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #50
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 133
There are so many variables and so many good bikes to choose from. If you're like me you probably already have a preference and are just looking for rational confirmation that that's what you should get. Just sit on it (your decision) for awhile and you may change your mind.
I really wanted a Tiger 800 Roadie, but with the off-road suspension which was not offered. Then I came across the 1200 Stelvio NTX and fell in love. 6300 miles later, I'm still in love.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #51
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Save some money and get this. Not mine or affiliated.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862663

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #52
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I'm in the same boat, I'm not so much tired of my Wee. It's more my riding style has changed from mostly commuting and running errands to going on long fast rides and multiple day camping trips. I'm deciding between get a sport tourer like the St or the FJR or staying in the adventure realm and getting a GS or a tenere. I've ruled out triumphs as the dealer network is too small for my liking. Which is sorta dumb because I do all my own services... Still I like the idea of being able to get parts or my bike worked on in any town. Tenere tics that box but not so much the bmw or tiger.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #53
brooklyn slim OP
nasty, brutish and tall

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
There are so many variables and so many good bikes to choose from. If you're like me you probably already have a preference and are just looking for rational confirmation that that's what you should get. Just sit on it (your decision) for awhile and you may change your mind.
I really wanted a Tiger 800 Roadie, but with the off-road suspension which was not offered. Then I came across the 1200 Stelvio NTX and fell in love. 6300 miles later, I'm still in love.
You're right. I started off really taken with the Stelvio, but then thought about expense, sparse dealer network, weight, and began thinking that the Tiger roadie would be a better choice. Problem is, I still like the Stelvio. Spring's coming...gotta figure out what to do.

Lemme ask, what's with the "pounding in the handlebars" some posters mention? I grew up with BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons and a 1967 R60...none of them made my hands go numb. Is the Guzzi a worse shaker?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #54
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
You're right. I started off really taken with the Stelvio, but then thought about expense, sparse dealer network, weight, and began thinking that the Tiger roadie would be a better choice. Problem is, I still like the Stelvio. Spring's coming...gotta figure out what to do.

Lemme ask, what's with the "pounding in the handlebars" some posters mention? I grew up with BSAs, Triumphs, Nortons and a 1967 R60...none of them made my hands go numb. Is the Guzzi a worse shaker?
It shakes, but it's not a problem for me. I've not heard anyone ever say it's a deal breaker. I've still got my 1050 Tiger, but it's become the garage queen. If I wanted a smooth ride I'd be on it but I prefer the NTX. Most of my riding is in the mountain twisties. The Stelvio is pure pleasure up there. I'm off pavement some of the time but just well graded gravel roads. 95% pavement.

I wouldn't call it "pounding". It's just a noticeable throbbing and goes away at certain rpm's. Also gets smoother as speed increases. Not very noticeable off pavement. More noticeable with engine cold when first starting out.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #55
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I think you're missing his point:

Quote:
Thinking more that the Stelvio and Tenere are more bike than I need (though that realization doesn't do much to diminish their allure) - 15 large, 600 lbs and 1.2 liters to mostly commute and take 200-300 mile trips makes me think of the douches who use their Land Rovers primarily to make Whole Foods runs.
I get that he would feel like a poser on one of those bikes. He isn't commenting on anyone else's posing or lack thereof. Well, other than the Land Rover grocery getters.

I get the sentiment, too - I'd really like a more road-styled Tenere (and no, not a trophy). I don't do dirt, I don't pretend to do dirt (unless I get lost). I think there are a number of styling and ergonomic sacrifices that adv bikes make to keep the "dirtworthy" aspect. I don't particularly like the style and I'd prefer a lower seat (and lower exhaust fer crissakes).

FWIW, the BMW r1200r with the high seat (which now appears to be the default) has almost the same knee bend (82°) as a 2012 vstrom (85°). The super tenere has a much more relaxed angle: 91°, and a tiger explorer 94°
Old 02-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #56
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Get a Ducati Hyperstrada! At least, that's what I'm lusting after today. I haven't even seen one in person, but it seems to check a lot of your boxes. I think the biggest selling point is that it has low weight with some touring (read: comfort) concessions.