User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Curt183 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Top speed problem - 1985 Elite 150

I have a 1985 Honda Elite I have been working on for the last couple of months. It starts and runs great but when I'm at top speed the bike intermittently suffers a loss of power. This loss of power will occur at the very top speed (58mph) I have been able to get the bike up to. I've replaced a lot of parts to address this and other problems I had with the bike early on. The gas tank has been off and totally cleaned out. The vacuum petcock has been replaced. The carb and the rubber manifold have been replaced. I just put in an aftermarket market CDI and a new coil. When the CDI and coil didn't do the trick I replaced the vacuum hoses to the petcock to try and ensure my problem wasn't do to a lack of fuel. A clue seems to be when the gas tank is completely full the problem doesn't come up or isn't as pronounced.

Anybody have any ideas? Other than this one problem it's a cool old scoot without too many (under 6k) miles. I want to be able to keep using it safely. Thanks so much for your help!
Curt183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
If a full tank reduces the problem you could trying stopping when the problem manifests itself and seeingif you have a vacuum in the tank by removing the filler cap. If there appears to be a vacuum in the tank, likely a modest one as the problem, whatever it is doesn't completely stop the engine from running, the the gas cap vent might be partially or completely blocked.
Without knowing for sure and at the risk of covering. Ground you have already cnsdered could theprblem be related to mixture settings on the carburetor?

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Does it have a fuel pump? My carbureted Honsa Shadow Spirit had a fuel pump because the carburetor was above the bottom of the fuel tank. When that fuel pump began to fail my Shadow started acting fust like your scoot.

andoulli screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:21 AM
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
award900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I used to think my elite 80 had the same problem, then I came to realize I was at the end of my gearing. It fills like it bounces off a limiter and doesnt let it rev out like I thought it should. Does yours always run better with a full tank? What is top speed with full tank vs half tank?
award900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Sounds like fuel starvation, the screen is plugged at the lower part and when fuel is above that it runs fine. When you replaced the vacuum fuel valve did it include a new tank screen? It is a long skinny fine mesh screen about like a pencil, maybe 3-4 inches long that sticks up into the tank. If not, the nasty one may still be inside the orfice where the vacuum fuel valve screws on to the tank. You might be able to remove and clean it up, .
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote