ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #31
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I think you may have missed the irony in the previous post.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Hey NorthYork, you out riding the piss out of your bike yet? I decided to man-up for a brand new 990R arriving tomorrow. It's supposed to be decent weather later this week and I'll want to get a few KMs on the new bike. Let me know if you're up for a ride sometime and I'll get my other ADV friends to come out as well.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #33
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If that's the same James Siddall that makes his living running Superplush SUSPENSIONS then I'd say YES!!!!!! LOL.

just send it to Superplush and have it done right, its not much money and the results are fantastic!! anything else is just a bandaid..
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #34
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
This is not an issue, is intentional. All who had the opportunity to ride the Marc Coma or Ciryl Depres bikes commented that those bikes rear suspension are incredible hard and the front suspension is relatively very soft, and looking their race results is clear that they know how to tune suspensions.
Yes, but those guys load the rear suspension far more than most. A novice rider will stop and look over an obstacle before riding over it. An intermediate rider will scrub off speed and navigate the obstacle in a controlled manner. An expert rider like Coma or Depres will hurtle into the void without blipping the throttle. All three riding styles require different valving, spring rate, and sag. Most offroad race bikes sit a little stinkbug...
tacosupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #35
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Reading this thread its been said that the 950 Super Enduro has front fork springs with a much higher spring rate, anyone know if these are a direct swap with the springs in the 990 adventure forks?
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
Okay all this is supercool but,

Anyone can offer a plausible thesis about WTF these bikes come out with this shitty suspension in the first place.?
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #37
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog'meat View Post
Anyone can offer a plausible thesis about WTF these bikes come out with this shitty suspension in the first place.?
The anwser is, it is not shitty. Its designed to try and cover a range of uses and be ok for all, its made by white power and they are a pretty good manufacturer of suspension.
I bought my bike and just rode it and still do, yep I am a fat fecker and could probably do with slightly stiffer front springs but they are ok for the use I put the bike to, but to be honest they are really pretty good.
Now my use is mostly good tarmac roads, loaded up with luggage, I am sure that if I was to do a lot of heavy off road, I might need to change somthing but they were not designed for that. The suspension is more than up to the job and I am not easy on it.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #38
Usta-b-fast
usta-b-fast

Oddometer: 1
Oil Level and Air Assist ???

Before new springs are ordered, has anyone worked with fork oil level and air assist for the forks? I've tried all the suggested KTM settings and find the front end to bug squat horribly on or off road. Too much dampening would only make it harsh.
Usta-b-fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #39
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta-b-fast View Post
Before new springs are ordered, has anyone worked with fork oil level and air assist for the forks? I've tried all the suggested KTM settings and find the front end to bug squat horribly on or off road. Too much dampening would only make it harsh.
I've raised the oil level substantially. It helped but springs are still a requirement. There is just not enough spring to hold the front of the bike up.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #40
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 878
I would love to know how hard it would be to upgrade my 06 Adv forks with Superplush springs and valve stacks by myself. Being in the land down under it would be a lot more cost effective if I could just buy their parts and either install myself or get a local shop to install.
Is there a special skill to install the valve stack or is it kind of preassembled by Superplush.
I am fairly mech minded, do my own valves/water pump etc. Just have never torn the forks down yet.
I know there are vids on changing out the oil, but not changing stacks.
CHeers.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #41
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
I would love to know how hard it would be to upgrade my 06 Adv forks with Superplush springs and valve stacks by myself. Being in the land down under it would be a lot more cost effective if I could just buy their parts and either install myself or get a local shop to install.
Is there a special skill to install the valve stack or is it kind of preassembled by Superplush.
I am fairly mech minded, do my own valves/water pump etc. Just have never torn the forks down yet.
CHeers.
It's really pretty easy. Check out ktmtalk's suspension forum or google for the WP fork service manual. If you can do valves you can do suspension.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #42
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
First time I got interested in forks I just went and bought 1 at a cycle junk yard to tear apart to see how they worked.. Then got the real ones apart.. :) top can or bottom can they are kinda the same its just getting past the first try...

Dave
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #43
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossguzzi View Post
CHeers.

Moto Pro and other will sell you the parts and instructions. James might be talked into doing the same. You will need to make sure that your bushings are in good condition. The best way to do that is to change them out.
James use to have a book on suspension. It's good to get some kind of information explaining what every part of your suspension does.
A previous poster suggested that adding fork oil helped stiffen his forks. But then he did say just how much usable stroke he had left.
Fork suspension is completed. Each of us want a different type of performance. Some of us want a linear stroke from top to bottom. Others want progressively dampens so they don't bottom out. Others want a stiff mid range so the forks so fade when the push the bike hard into the corners.

Lastly make sure that your forks are not sticking from being out of alinement.

Regards
Hair.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #44
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
I'm 70kg (154lbs), and finally dialed in the (2004 S, all is stock) suspension quite fine for offroad.. Found that the best for me is full load (+ a couple more turns on the preload) at the rear, and comfort on the front. On really big jumps it bottoms out a bit, but I'm fine with it, as these event rarely occure. I know it's not really related to the thread, just had to share it:'D
Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
This set up is SO typical of motorcycle manufacturers. Stiff shock/soft forks. It's truly mind boggling.
On this bike I can see that happening to allow for gear and loading up the rear end, but...

XR400: Stiff shock, very soft/flexy forks. shiiiiiit!
DRZ-400 Shock "ok", forks..........SOFT.
KDX200: Soft shock, soft forks....lol.
KX250: Sent suspension off as soon as I bought it.
KTM 520: Thank God the previous owner had the suspension done. We are the same size.
CRF230: My kid's bike. The shock was stiff enough....for me!! Forks......soft.

Is it really this hard manufacturers?

They even go so far as to "spec" bikes for the US. We are BIGGER people than (especially Japanese), so why not spec stiffer suspension? Can't be cost. Just order what you need. Yikes.

ADVill screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 02:29 PM
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote