ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #46
skier
genius or insanity?

Oddometer: 186
Question Weight

I think it comes down to rider weight. I've been working with Europeans for 40 years in the sports business, and in general, the most active Euro adventurers weigh about 65-70kg(140-150lbs). This affects how they build skis, boots, bicycles, climbing gear and motos. I weigh about 90kg or 195lbs and at 184cm or 6'2", I'm way outside the norm for lots of Euro-designed gear.

Admittedly, my friends are mostly climbers and skiers, but fewer than 5% of them are my size and I think this may apply to their view of moto users also.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #47
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 891
Before I revalved I ran my forks with the rebound almost totally closed, a couple clicks out only. IIRC, about 13-15 clicks out on compression.
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
James Siddall
suspension guy

Oddometer: 176
So here is the thing....

Each of the elements that we use to tune a suspension have a specific area of responsibility, and contribute a unique benefit to the overall combination that makes a well set up suspension. Many of these elements have compilmentary function, and so an overabundance of one of these elements can sometimes mask or band aid a shortcoming in another area. They are not however a suitable substitute for a setting that lacks in these other areas.
When I tune a suspension system, the main variables are Spring force (which is a function of both spring rate and spring preload), Damping force, (a function of shims in the stack and the position of the clicker) and the air spring (a function of the oil level)
These settings in isolation determine how much the fork or shock will move, and how quickly it will move there. In order to make a motorcycle feel user friendly to the rider, the suspension has a couple of requirements to meet. It needs to allow adequate weight transfer to the tires to push them into the ground and create grip and tire feeling. It needs to create that transfer in a measured fashion so as do give the rider a good sense of connection feeling to the wheel at any given moment. It needs to move slowly enough to buy the rider time to react to any control emergencies that pop up. It needs to be adequately stiff to resist hard bottoming on the largest obstacle that the rider is likely to encounter. And it has to be sufficiently balanced and sprung to preserve the bikes geometry in a way that promote good turning behavior and front feel. As such. The ideal solution to tuning a suspension usually sees improvement in more than one area. As such, you can improve areas of the bikes behavior by turning the clicker, but you cant fix all the shortcomings. Same goes for the choice of spring rate or the oil height. They are all components of the answer, no one of them alone will fix the whole problem.

Hope that helps

James

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
James Siddall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #49
JerryIUP
Team Wanker

Oddometer: 305
+1 on SuperPlush suspension

I have a stock 11' 990R and just rode my buddy's 950 with SPS front end and could not believe the difference. The way it tracked in the trails and the overall "feel" was amazing. I will be sending my suspension out to Superplush in the near future.

Let the Pros do what they do and enjoy the fruits of their experience. Cheers.

11' KTM 990 Adventure-R
JerryIUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #50
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
So when is SPS expanding their bussiness to europe?