User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
winnrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Aerostitch boot strap help

While slogging through some deep Louisiana gumbo mud this Saturday, I slammed into a log with my Combat boots. They did their job protection-wise. But I cracked the plastic latch strap. I ordered a new set from Aerostitch but was told that they have been on back order for over six months and SIDI won't make anymore until they get a large enough order. He had no suggestions for a workaround.

Any suggestions on how to repair would be appreciated as I don't have the fundage to buy a new pair of boots at this time.

TIA
winnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
If you are in central Louisiana as I suspect, you might need to go over to Alexandria and find a boot/shoe repair shop. Maybe they can help.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
Pictures of the strap?

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
winnrider OP
Adventurer

only have the metal latch. the plastic part is in a muddy grave. sorry no pics.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Being where you are this might be tough to do but most ski boots use similar buckles and spare parts are widely available. You may want to check in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,066
I have this same set of boots. The strap is plastic with metal on the end. Depending on the type of plastic, it may be weldable (i.e. a thermoplastic), or can be solvent welded (such as ABS). The trick is figuring out the type of plastic and if using a solvent or heating is an option.

One approach is to take some acetone and see if it dissolves the strap plastic. Obviously this needs to be done on the back of the non-used end. If so, some black ABS pipe or Lego's building blocks can be dissolved in acetone to make a repair glue. If you have access to a hot air gun or a hot air soldering torch, the same location on the strap can be heated to see if it melts and can be welded. I think the strap is ABS, but am not certain.

It's unfortunate the Aerostich does not have the straps, buckles, or strings for these boots. Maybe they will again one day. Good luck!

p.s. I back ordered a set of straps and buckles, so that is one more set to their SIDI order. Granted they are good boots, but having spare parts is one of the reasons I ordered the boots. I think they should order some parts to keep in stock if they are advertising they have them. Either that, or make it clear the parts are only available through special order.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 11:35 AM
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
winnrider OP
Adventurer

Thanks, Stan. I agree. When you pay the $$$ for these boots, which are designed for heavy duty use, you would think they would have some spare parts saved in reserve. Probably end up going the duct tape route. Not fashion conscious.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
catalina38
Contrarian

The SIDI straps are available from other sources, try some of the big online dealers.
I have a few brand new spares that don't fit any of the boots I currently have, they are the one inch wide type. I'll see if I can find them. Call Motonation directly. http://www.motonation.com/

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
The SIDI straps are available from other sources, try some of the big online dealers.
I have a few brand new spares that don't fit any of the boots I currently have, they are the one inch wide type. I'll see if I can find them. Call Motonation directly. http://www.motonation.com/
I have yet to find a SIDI strap that works on the AS combat touring boot - but would sure like to see one. Here is the link to the Aerostich site that shows what they look like: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/fo...ot-straps.html

The SIDI straps are different and it seems the CTB is custom made for Aerostitch.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Try these from SIDI-- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-TA-Strap.aspx

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post

Sure looks like them. I expect these will work. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
catalina38
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
I have yet to find a SIDI strap that works on the AS combat touring boot - but would sure like to see one. Here is the link to the Aerostich site that shows what they look like: http://www.aerostich.com/clothing/fo...ot-straps.html

The SIDI straps are different and it seems the CTB is custom made for Aerostitch.
I have a few that look identical from some other SIDI boots some are wide and some narrow. Since you tried the SIDI straps and they don't work with CTBs, I'll keep that in mind when finding a new owner for my spare straps.

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/v...idcategory=102
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-TA-Strap.aspx

KTM 990R 500EXC
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
winnrider OP
Adventurer

thanks what I'm looking for. Thanks to all.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
I have a few that look identical from some other SIDI boots some are wide and some narrow. Since you tried the SIDI straps and they don't work with CTBs, I'll keep that in mind when finding a new owner for my spare straps.

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/v...idcategory=102
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-TA-Strap.aspx
The link to motonation has the short version of the strap needed. Motorcycle superstore only has long. Thanks.

I was mistaken about the CBT boots not having regular SIDI straps (albeit not current ones). Details are important and SIDI makes quite a few straps.

It is fairly annoying that Aerostitch can't figure out how to get these straps when two other stores sell them. I guess this is not an important customer support item to them.

Stan_R80/7 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 02:46 PM