Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Oddometer: 60
Cool2 n00b! My 1994 Yamaha Seca II ("Finch") & 2013 Honda PCX-150 scoot.

Greetings guys and gals! I'm an old forum monkey, browsing car forums since '97 but just picked up my first bike last year. I grew up in New Hampshire around the Laconia Bike Rally scene, my father had been riding since the '60s and I always loved the environment. My mother was staunchly anti-motorcycle as her nephew was killed on one in the early '70s, so as a teenager I never had the chance. No money/time/space in my 20s, but now into my late 30s as a homeowner, I got tired of waiting! :) My wife spent three weeks in VietNam in 2002 and fell in love with scooters, so she wanted to ride as well.

So, last summer I looked around and considered a few Yamaha FZ6R examples for sale locally, but decided to save some money and go older. I found a mint 1994 Seca II at a dealership, in bright yellow. Well, they'll see me coming. I named him "Finch."

A riding vet coworker rode it home for me (after he'd checked it over and approved pre-purchase), as I didn't have my permit quite yet. He liked it, though maybe because he's a Kawi guy and hadn't ever been on a yellow bike.

Shortly thereafter I got my Penn. permit and decided to take it slow and learn on my own. I watched countless YouTube videos, and figured I'd be fine as a 20+ year snowmobile rider, all-around careful guy and had no aspirations of being a hooligan. Had my brand-new Bell Vortex helmet, riding jacket, gloves and boots and jeans, and rolled it down the driveway. Gave it a little gas and......... dumped it. Yep, right in front of my house. What happened was it lurched in first gear, quite a lot, and my right toe got caught on the tarmac a little, leaning the bike way over to the right - down it went. Off to a great start, eh? As my riding overpants hadn't arrived yet, my jeans ripped on the right knee, as did I:

....And my new boot (FirstGear Kili Hi):

(Kind of crazy how much that toe ripped, at 5mph at the most. Thankfully there's a leather repair guy near me, got it all fixed up.)

The bike got a couple scrapes on the right-side muffler and bar end, and unfortunately this:

Thankfully a very good body repairman near me can fix it up for little money.

Humility firmly in place, I picked it up and tried again. Following that day, no issues - ran all summer and in to fall, mostly back road stuff and got a good few hundred miles in at least.

I like that shot!

Got some frame sliders put on (never know if it'll happen ...again...):

Roundabout early Fall, my wife had enough and wanted to start riding as well! So she went and got her permit, then since she knew she wanted a scooter, we started looking around. I ended up finding a very nice, barely used 2013 Honda PCX-150 at a Honda/BMW dealer nearby. She loved it, we bought it.

We both took the PAMSP BRC (basic) course and passed, which was quite good fun. In Penn. it's free, the state covers the charges - which is great. I'm planning to hopefully take BRC2 this year, as well as ARC (advanced) if I have time. They're all free, why not?

With the weather warming up, we're getting anxious. She's already talking about getting a bike, though I'd love to keep the PCX for either of us to use. She is a business owner and is 3.5 miles from our house, so in the warmer months it makes perfect sense to ride in, rather than drive the car. Not sure what kind of bike she'll end up with, but so far she likes the look and feel of Honda's new CTX-700N (ABS/DCT most likely).

Mods? Everyone asks. There's sure not much for the Seca II, other than a Corbin seat which I really don't need, and a few things which take some doing. I'm a member at XJRider.com and have a few ideas right now, though the first would probably be the obligatory exhaust. Delkevic has offerings that I'll probably choose from, though eBay sells them for less money typically.

So, that's it. The bikes slept in my garage all winter, and I've had them started now twice with no issues. Tires are all filled up, fluids are good, I will be cleaning my chain hopefully soon for good measure. Time to get out there!

=S2=
Siper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 548
Welcome, but I'm not sure if this post belongs in Old's Cool or Battle Scooters
You might also want to join XJBikes.com for the in-depth tech info (and parts availability) on the whole XJ series.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Piedmontqc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey man, I checked that bike out last summer at Camp Hill Yamaha. I sat on it and decided I wanted to think about it for a while. It was gone when I went back for a second look. I wound up getting a cruiser. You got a good deal on that one, I recall the asking price was quite reasonable.

Have fun.
Piedmontqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Piedmontqc,

Oh cool! That's pretty funny. :) I got it for a little bit less but not much. It seems to run very well, yeah good fun for a first ride. :) So you're local still?

zap2504,

I wasn't sure where to put it! As for other forums I'm already on XJRider.com, tons of info there. Thanks!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,943
I almost bought a Seca II before finding the ZX6. Those are good reliable do-all bikes.

Yours looks very clean. You also picked up one of the best scoots made. Good taste.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Thanks much. :) The scooter is fabulous, I'm hoping we can keep it even when my wife gets a bike.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
Piedmontqc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey Siper2,

Yeah, I'm a local, I'm on the west shore of the Susquehanna. Three Mile Island is just up river from me.
Piedmontqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Hey Siper2,

Enjoy that bike. In the '90s we had the same year, model and color which we bought new in Hollywood, CA. My wife used it to commute from Venice Beach to downtown LA.

Only problems we had were corrosion from living near the beach and a fuel lock that would kill the engine. There is a simple fix for the latter that you can google, probably sorted out on your model.
Robert OK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
LondonGent
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. Those seca 2's were known as xj600s Diversions over here in Blighty and they were popular in their day. I always liked them - unpretentious, reliable and dependable UJM's.
Hope yours gives you lots of pleasure!
Happy riding!
LondonGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
McAninch35
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I've got a Seca II myself- a '97, but they didn't change much through the years. I'm over on XJrider also, great community and a big part of why I've kept the bike so long!
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Piedmontqc,
You''re in Middletown then? My best friend and also my boss live there, I work in Hbg.

Robert OK,
Glad you liked yours! I will look up the fuel lock matter, thank you.

LondonGent,
Yes I am aware of the XJ600 designation, I discovered that last year while researching the bike. :) XJRider.com has a very broad spectrum of folks from everywhere, quite helpful and cool as well!

McAninch35,
Nice, same username?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
McAninch35
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Yessir, same username. I'm not too active over there, I mostly just lurk- but I'll be posting the results of my recent paintjob soon
McAninch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Sounds enticing! I'm contemplating a naked conversion on mine, there's a lot of info over there about that....almost too much. My electrical skills suck though, dunno if it would be overwhelming. The rest I could deal with.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Welcome to the site! I've got a Seca II also, a '97 model. I was going to tell you about the XJRider forum but that looks likes it's already been covered, so welcome..
Tony
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #15
Siper2 OP
Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Welcome to the site! I've got a Seca II also, a '97 model. I was going to tell you about the XJRider forum but that looks likes it's already been covered, so welcome..
Tony
Thanks, Tony! How long have you had yours? Gone touring with it, or another bike?

Got bar buzz at all? Seems like some do and some don't; got some good suggestions here to check for on mine.