Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
40 mpg IMP is the same as 33.31 mpg US.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #17
CoffeeBaron OP
Italian Stallions

Oddometer: 45
in my defence

Well, despite a few claims to me speaking from the bulls ass, I'm glad to see this thread got a few responses.

Yes i'm on about imperial gallons, as I live in the UK- for the record the speed limit on the motorways here (like your freeways I believe) is 70mph, however as general the traffic runs about 90+ in the overtake lane- so believe me when I say my claims of steady 100 is not bullcrap. I'll grant you I'm not riding in the speed limits, or arguably the spirit of the bike, but then again I felt it would be worth raising this point for those who maybe can only afford one motorbike, and as it's their only mode of transport it may be the rider wishes to have a thrash on it.

For some background, i'm 29yro, i've been riding on the roads since I was 16, and i've had many bikes in that time- i've never driven a car, and I use my bike as my only transport all year/all weathers. Over the years I've developed a steady pace I find is safe for me and comfortable, and usually that is operating at 10-20mph above the speed limit-except built up areas and 30mph zones. traffic takes note, and I can position myself well whilst making rapid progress.

@ dduelin-VFR rider- where are you located? as i'm sure you're aware, temperature, throttle stability and smoothness of breaking and a number of other factors affect mpg- i've used online calculators based on amount filled up, miles travelled, then amount re-filled. That's how I obtained my 42mpg. I've had both and rc36 and now the rc46, and both have reliably been ridden in this manner and given that mpg- now I don't claim everyone will have the same experience, but I'm certainally not telling tall tales.

@ cbolling- sir your correct, the way I was pushing it 42mpg wasn't bad- but with the quoted figures i'd expected higher.

and for those wondering the NC700C is the slightly basic looking varient- the X as you all seem to ride is the cross-runner styled varient
CoffeeBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #18
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBaron View Post
and for those wondering the NC700C is the slightly basic looking varient- the X as you all seem to ride is the cross-runner styled varient
Isn't the naked one called the NC700S?
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
@ cbolling- sir your correct, the way I was pushing it 42mpg wasn't bad- but with the quoted figures i'd expected higher.
Then you really don't know what you're talking about. Aggressive city riding and 100mph stints on the motorway will net you sub 40 mpg on most any of the frugal middleweights. If that is how you ride day-in, day-out, that bike is a bad choice for you if you're going to be worried about MPG.

Of course, if you were really worried about MPG, you'd take it easy on the throttle.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #20
CoffeeBaron OP
Italian Stallions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Then you really don't know what you're talking about. Aggressive city riding and 100mph stints on the motorway will net you sub 40 mpg on most any of the frugal middleweights. If that is how you ride day-in, day-out, that bike is a bad choice for you if you're going to be worried about MPG.

Of course, if you were really worried about MPG, you'd take it easy on the throttle.
I get the feeling you misunderstand my original comment- I wasn't planning on buying one, I just happened to have a chance to try one and make my own judgment on the odd engine and frugalities. I don't believe I ever actually moaned about the fact it was so low- just was surprised it was as low as it was based on the displacment, power output and low rpm cealing- all factors that should have still helped keep the mpg use low.

lol, you are right though, if mpg really concerned me i'd get a 125 cbf- But alas, I ride every day a 50 mile commute 2 up and need a particular motorbike to fulfill my allrounder niche-hence a VFR. :)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
How do you know how full the bike was before you started?
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
NC test

The NC, and I do own one, is a motorcycle which, some magazine testers, have said, "some people just don't get".
A lot of the owners are very loyal to the machine, and defend it, which I guess is normal. Having owned a Harley 883 Sportster, I am sort of immune to a lot of what is said about what I ride. There are a bunch of things about the new Honda which make it a very good motorcycle aside from it's performance. The ease of maintenance and the cost of owing it are going to be a real plus down the road. A person just needs to know what he wants, as there are motorcycles that fill probably every riders needs, and we certainly don't need to do big modifications to any one of them. So, like you said you would buy something else.

Art
oldenuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Fuel mileage figure is probably just a simple matter of the upright ergo's and wind resistance, which squares as a function of speed. VFR has got to be much better aerodynamically especially at 100mph.
seevtsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
How do you know how full the bike was before you started?

Don't be that guy. He's been riding for 14 years and doesn't own a car, I trust that he knows how to check his mpg's.

Thanks for the report, OP. I really like how the thread was posted at 2:05 . While I don't run at 100 mph I'm afraid that I'd return mileage similar to your results since I get 50 mpg on my CBR250R I'll be passing on the NC700, doesn't make sense to be unhappy with the power and only get medicore mileage to go with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
I don't believe I ever actually moaned about the fact it was so low- just was surprised it was as low as it was based on the displacment, power output and low rpm cealing- all factors that should have still helped keep the mpg use low.
Well, you said:

Quote:
40mpg was all it managed-
I suppose that's more pot-stirring than moaning. Most of the reactions are to your implied expectation that you should get 50-60mpg riding like that. You won't, and you shouldn't expect it on a bike like that. Actually, you probably shouldn't expect it on any bike if the throttle spends as much time all the way open as closed.

low RPM can help, but if you have to practically hold it at WOT to hit 100 MPH you're gonna suck gas like crazy.

there are plenty of threads out there with breakdowns of small bikes vs big bikes at high speeds - they tend to get similar mileage and in some cases worse mileage than a bigger displacement bike at those speeds.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
`eh my wifes NC gets about 75 mpg when we tour running in the mid 70 mph range. So yeah I call it pretty frugal compared to my KTM SMT (40 mpg) and Triumph speed Triple (45 mpg). She's seen mid 80's at times.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
CoffeeBaron OP
Italian Stallions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Don't be that guy. He's been riding for 14 years and doesn't own a car, I trust that he knows how to check his mpg's.

Thanks for the report, OP. I really like how the thread was posted at 2:05 . While I don't run at 100 mph I'm afraid that I'd return mileage similar to your results since I get 50 mpg on my CBR250R I'll be passing on the NC700, doesn't make sense to be unhappy with the power and only get medicore mileage to go with it.

No problemo , ahh the joys of time zone difference ;) I didn't intend to rock anybodys boat with my opinion, however it was just that- it was my observations on what I feel is a good bike-a different take by a major manufacturer-my personal favourite at that-trying to create something different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBaron
40mpg was all it managed-

I suppose that's more pot-stirring than moaning. Most of the reactions are to your implied expectation that you should get 50-60mpg riding like that. You won't, and you shouldn't expect it on a bike like that. Actually, you probably shouldn't expect it on any bike if the throttle spends as much time all the way open as closed.

I do see your point totally, and I agree, in hindsight I shouldn't have expected so much from it with those and sustained throttle openings, but I feel it was worth a chance of to make other bikers feed their curiosity and go try out a bike for themselves, not just take for granted what the manufacturer quotes will be fact.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
HONDABIKEPRO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
fuel range

my bike holds 5.4 us gallons. 325 miles fuel light comes on, with .7 still in tank. it take 4.7us to fill witch is 69 mile per us gallons, dale
HONDABIKEPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
my bike holds 5.4 us gallons. 325 miles fuel light comes on, with .7 still in tank. it take 4.7us to fill witch is 69 mile per us gallons, dale
Do you have a thread on that fuel tank O__O ? Please share!
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Rabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
The only way mike bike would hit a 100 mph and get 42 mpg would be to push it off the Sear's Tower.
Rabon is offline   Reply With Quote