Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #106
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You proved my point and want me to shut up? Time for you to shut up IMHO.
I thought so. You have no references in print to "your facts" to put up.

It is obvious you have no facts Larry and your sarcasm in lieu is pathetic. You have opinions and you are entitled to them however uniformed.

Anytime you want to give reference to those "many tests that have been published" I am all ears. In the meantime let's drop it and move on.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #107
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Alright guys, lets move beyond the personal comments. This isn't Jo Momma. This forum is about bikes.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #108
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Seems the new game of this decade is all about who's getting the most MPG. Motorcyclist were the risk takers and the rebels in the not so distant past. My, oh my, how the oil companies dictate behavior. Me I still like the thrill of sitting on something powerful and a little intimidating.

BTW, for the OP of this thread, the laws of physics don't change just because you're riding something fuel efficient, it takes the same amount of energy to bring any bike of the same mass to 100mph working against gravity and the air, with the minute differences for powertrain and tire losses. Just sayin.........

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #109
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Seems the new game of this decade is all about who's getting the most MPG. Motorcyclist were the risk takers and the rebels in the not so distant past. My, oh my, how the oil companies dictate behavior. Me I still like the thrill of sitting on something powerful and a little intimidating.
You would be wrong to think the NC700X is meant to replace a high performance streetbike and I am sure that is not what you meant. There are many types of bikes and riders and high efficiency means giving up high performance as defined in the modern sportbike. However the world is changing and the NC plays to the game of higher oil prices while still being fun to ride.

Last weekend I ended up at a restaurant parked behind this absolutely mint RC30, a snapshot of Honda's engineering prowess in the 1980's. It dominated road racing for 5 years at the TT and other road racing venues and endurance events and won the inaugural WSB IIRC, countless club races, etc. With just 5500 miles and unmolested this 1990 was perfect. It is an icon of what Honda could and did do to bring prototype racing to the showroom in 1987. The motorcycling world was in an arms race then and this was thermonuclear. Virtually handbuilt and available to only a few. We know the rest, horsepower wars to this day.

When I tried to leave with my friend I was delayed by several riders wanting to look at my bike and ask about it. This RC30 owner was so interested in my bike I could hardly get away before my friend left me. Anyway, I thought it was ironic that here was a pristine RC30 and everyone wanted to look at a bike that has but 50 hp and barely does 100 mph. Honda is playing a different game with this bike. Stuck in the past it isn't but it is a new way forward for Honda. Time will tell.

Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #110
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,030
bikes are like cars. different cars for different purposes.. people are just naive if they believe a motorcycle has ONE intended purpose.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #111
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio View Post
Seems the new game of this decade is all about who's getting the most MPG. Motorcyclist were the risk takers and the rebels in the not so distant past.
Some people just get a bit intimidated when the status quo changes and all these rebels run around with High MPG bikes instead of sticking to tradition and riding over powered ones.

Quote:
With just 5500 miles and unmolested this 1990 was perfect.
240 miles a year eh. Practical motorcycling at its best.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #112
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
240 miles a year eh. Practical motorcycling at its best.

Somewhere between ten and thirty years old low miles changes from "underused" to "well cared for"
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #113
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

I think now Honda only built 3000 of the RC30 and many of those were raced to their end. While it is a shame that some bikes are garage jewelry and rarely ridden when one of these survives to age 23 and the owner does ride it 65 miles to lunch like he did I'll not judge him. As a collector he has other rare and unusual bikes to ride as well.

Dave
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #114
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Some people just get a bit intimidated when the status quo changes and all these rebels run around with High MPG bikes instead of sticking to tradition and riding over powered ones.
Huh?
I don't particularly care for Capriccio - kinda reguard him as being as big of a know-it-all asshole as me, but I'd bet a month's pay that he knows a doddering old fool hypermiling behind a Prius when he sees one.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #115
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I think now Honda only built 3000 of the RC30 and many of those were raced to their end. While it is a shame that some bikes are garage jewelry and rarely ridden when one of these survives to age 23 and the owner does ride it 65 miles to lunch like he did I'll not judge him. As a collector he has other rare and unusual bikes to ride as well.
Excellent point. I know a couple of people with more than 10 bikes in thier "stable". One guy, Charlie, has an '03 1150GS with less than 4,000 miles on it. The other 2 dozen bikes, ranging from 49cc to Ducs and a BMW S1000RR get more saddle time, but he swears the GS is the best of them all.

"Well cared for" often fits
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #116
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
I wasn't being serious, You don't want to trash a rare bike. The "conservatives" need something to remind them that they were once "the rebels"

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #117
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Frugal...

Unlike the Prius, the MSRP for the NC700X is low by todays new price standards. I felt the fit and finish was very good but the low cost is part of lots of things on the NCX, like the swingarm, bars, and other things on the bike. Not hand built looking at all, but still good quality. After several months of ownership, have not come across any crappy items, and instead find more things about the NCX that I really like.

Have to say the great mpg is only part of the "frugal".

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #118
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
After selling my 2007 Suzuki 650 V-Strom, for what reason I don't know, because it's served me well for three years I went to the Honda store to think about a new NC700C. Rode one and it was ok, but was having a hard time making a decision on buying it as remembering all the good things about the 650 V-Strom. Mainly it was ugly, got 50-55mpg and just wasn't that bad of a ride, plus ownership cost was oil and filters only in my ownership time. Moral of the story is, I bought another 650 V-Strom with ABS, glad I did.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #119
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
After selling my 2007 Suzuki 650 V-Strom, for what reason I don't know, because it's served me well for three years I went to the Honda store to think about a new NC700C. Rode one and it was ok, but was having a hard time making a decision on buying it as remembering all the good things about the 650 V-Strom. Mainly it was ugly, got 50-55mpg and just wasn't that bad of a ride, plus ownership cost was oil and filters only in my ownership time. Moral of the story is, I bought another 650 V-Strom with ABS, glad I did.

John
So now you have an ugly bike with ABS.........we are glad too.........

showkey screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 07:25 PM
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #120
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

John
I did about the same thing with the SV650, sold one and went bike shopping and ended up with another SV650. Suzuki has a winning engine with the 650 twin. Enjoy your new machine.

Have to say the new NC700X seems to be a great choice also.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote