Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Cam straps are designed to and have, for me, secured everythigng in by raft when it was upside down in a class 5 rapid. Rokstraps wouldn't stand a chance. Any strap that is not a full tension will stretch under extreme load, like crashing, and loosen the load. Elastic doesn't cut it offroad. So, I stick with cam straps.
That's what I was thinking. I would think elastic would have your load shifting all over the place on a bumpy road or offroad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #62
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 14,420
I looked into getting the elastic cord, and buckles and such from strap works, and some other places, it really didnt seem much cheaper than just buying Rok straps.

I still havent bought any though, I use cheap bungees 99% of the time.

Charter member: T.O. club.

Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #63
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
I like bungee cords. The thick ones, 1/2 inch diameter. They are inexpensive, readily available at most good hardware stores, and easy to use. They work well when used right.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #64
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,198
I use piggyback straps
http://http://piggybackstraps.com/
Here is a write uphttp://www.mklsportster.com/Articles/mcnpiggyback.pdf
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #65
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Moto View Post
That's what I was thinking. I would think elastic would have your load shifting all over the place on a bumpy road or offroad.
These are not rubber bands. But there is no convincing someone who will not even try them. Like making my daughter try bacon. Not going to happen, and she has no idea what she is missing!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #66
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
How much does your load weigh on your raft? I've carried over 100 pounds with two straps on my bike, pictures shown earlier.

Jim

Here's the difference. You are carrying a 100lb toolbox with the straps just to keep the load from shifting right?

I use NRS straps to hold my cataraft together. And when that raft tips over and the hydraulics of a hole strong enough to flip an experienced rafter take over, the forces are severe. I can tell you I have had my specialized guide jacket ripped off because the zipper failed and my shorts ripped off because, well my waist failed in one really bad hole. I was underwater for at least 30-45 seconds getting the crap beat out of me. By the time it was done I felt like I had done 9 rounds with Holyfield and never landed a punch.

here's a typical cat setup (not my pics)

and what happens when you "hiside"

Cat was bouncing happily downsteam no drama. The drybags probably weighed 50lbs each and I had 2 or 3 secured with one strap.

Here's how much I trust NRS straps. I had to do a waterfall rescue years ago, and it was a split decision type of thing where 3 of us guides had to get to someone sorta drowning very quickly. I needed to rappel down about 30' of rock. The only equipment we had was a few NRS straps, 5 carabiners, a pulley and a 75' rafting throw bag of 1/2' line. We used the strap to hook around the tree, carabiner to the pulley and I made a swiss seat from the other strap and used the line to rappel down the rock face. I have 2 NRS straps I am trusting my life to. Still have both and use both 10 years later.

I'm sure the Roc Straps are great, but I use what I know. In response to gear flying off peoples bike, that doesn't happen to me. And it doesn't happen for a good reason. Anything that won't fit in my panniers, doesn't come. I'm constantly amazed at the luxo barges that roll into ADV rallys for a WEEKEND campout with gear lashed on all over the place. I've done two weeks of remote camping in Maine with nothing other than what I can fit in my bags. The only thing I strap on is a flyrod or something.

I've refined my camp setup to include things that don't take up space because I don't like the liability of duffels hanging out for the safety reasons mentioned.

Anyways it sounds like there are a lot of Rok Straps fans so they must be excellent. I have not tried them because I have had a system that has worked for me over multiple applications over the years. I think people need to learn how to pack efficiently that way they wouldn't need so much reliance on straps of any kind or maybe a small duffel etc.

JMHO

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #67
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
I use a Bison strap, pretty much the same thing as the NRS strap, but the cam has a large carabiner integrated into it and the webbing ends are sewn into loops.

One end gets a girth hitch around a frame rail, the carabiner gets clipped to another frame rail, the strap is tensioned and bitter end secured. I use the compression of the load (or in the case of a hard object, compression of the pillion seat its sitting on) to keep everything from wiggling.

Also handy for holding the GS in stinkbug while doing transmission/clutch work.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #68
sailah
Lampin' it

I love all the proper nautical terms

Nessmuk
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #69
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I love all the proper nautical terms
I've spent too much time working in the shipyard to *not* use them.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #70
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I've spent too much time working in the shipyard to *not* use them.
Hear ya. I routinely refer to the back of my bike as the aft end

Nessmuk
Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #71
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hear ya. I routinely refer to the back of my bike as the aft end
I have a hard time not referring to the cylinders as port and starboard.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #72
Backonthebike
Giddy up

Oddometer: 663

http://www.andystrapz.com/products.p...yId=17&Level=1

Have a look at these, made by a one-man operation called Andy Strapz here in Australia. The 2" wide velcro holds very well. The hand loops enable you to get good tension. The webbing is nowhere near as stretchy as bungee rubber so it holds very firmly without having to stretch the living crap out of it.

Here is an extreme application (my first time on a 2-up long distance adventure) ...I didn't know any better. That's his and hers bedrolls on the top of the panniers.

And here is more more usual arrangement

I have no commercial connection with Andy, but have always found him a top bloke to deal with, and his stuff works.

Cheers
Tim
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #73
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 576
Full size rok straps for the large duffel but I just got a set of the smaller skinnier rok straps that are perfect for holding a 30 liter dry bag that I keep on the bike for tools, rain gear and layers.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #74
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,463
Quote:
Here's how much I trust NRS straps. I had to do a waterfall rescue years ago, and it was a split decision type of thing where 3 of us guides had to get to someone sorta drowning very quickly. I needed to rappel down about 30' of rock. The only equipment we had was a few NRS straps, 5 carabiners, a pulley and a 75' rafting throw bag of 1/2' line. We used the strap to hook around the tree, carabiner to the pulley and I made a swiss seat from the other strap and used the line to rappel down the rock face. I have 2 NRS straps I am trusting my life to. Still have both and use both 10 years later.
that's a pretty endorsement for NRS straps .. using some generic version of same strap. but real NRS straps costs about the same. might as well get a few NRS straps.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #75
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 576
yeah I wouldn't use the skinny Rok Straps to repel from the passenger pegs to the ground, but they seem to hold my drybag on.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote