User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
jasiebol OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Question bad back

hi all im on my forth back surgery ( this time they fused my lower back) I was just wondring who has the same and how they do riding. Have slowed down or just quit
jasiebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,318
Well, that sucks.

I've not had surgery but shudder at the thought that one day I may end up with a fused back. I get quite a bit of discomfort after a few miles. I can tolerate things and on longer trips stop every hundred or so miles and just the short stop helps. With camping gear on the back to rest my back on I am significantly more comfortable.

Best of luck and hope someone with a condition more similar to yours chimes in with their thoughts.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasiebol View Post
hi all im on my forth back surgery ( this time they fused my lower back) I was just wondring who has the same and how they do riding. Have slowed down or just quit
Not had surgery per se but in the last few years it seems that my back is made of glass. Herniated discs, pinched nerves, spasms for no particular reason. As my doc so delicately said, 'You look at your birth certificate lately?'. To his credit, he didn't suggest that I not ride, only that I pay close attention to any little tweaks that might become big tweaks. I told him in all candor that riding is less stressing than in a cage, mostly from the vibrations in my hands and arms that soothe my back. Slowed down, yes, fewer hours a day, yes, but quit, not ready for that yet. I have also integrated stretching and light weight work in the past few years.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Neck fusion in 2001. Sold the bike I owned later that year after not riding due to concerns over the neck. It took a solid 3, maybe 4, years to get to the point where I felt that I had the strength to get back on a bike. Actually, I didn't have one so, wasn't all that worried and live in a location where having one wasn't too much of an advantage.

Trust your body to tell you what to do. Don't ignore it when it says, "Hey. Shithead!"
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
I did a number on my back in '02. Although the doctor wanted to do surgery I refused. I still have some issues, but like RTLover, I find my back hurts less when Im on the bike then it does in my truck. Stretching helps a lot for me as well. The only time I ever really have any problems on the bike is standing for long periods. If im doing a lot of offroad I tend to take more breaks to stretch, kind of just depends on the trail.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
rdtrvlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back. "injured it" in 87. years of pain, chiro, therapy etc. I sold my bikes and atv because they hurt too much to ride. I saw this guy on Larry king named dr John sarno. got his books and have been pain free since 95 w/o surgery. I can do 450 mi days on a stock KLR w/o back pain. I suggest getting the one w/ the mostly blue cover first(can't remember the title) as it is a very easy read. google him. any questions let me know. it changed my life.
rdtrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
A bike with standard riding position with raised bars (2-3")

Or

some type of mid control bike with lumbar support.

The key is to reduce (as much as possible) the fatigue to the lower back by keeping it as close as possible to the natural curve. (or in your case modified curve)
Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
jasiebol OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks for all the replies
jasiebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
LowInSlo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Bad back here too since a bad car accident many years ago. Getting for fragile as the years go on. grrrrr. Working with my Chiropractor on stretches and workouts to give my back more support. Periodically it goes out and I can barley walk, much less ride. On the bike, I'm fine in a very neutral position (I have a GS). It's picking the bike off the stand, opening doors, anything that stresses the back that's the issue for me. I despise it, but life goes on. Everytime my back goes out, I contemplate stopping. Then it gets better and I enjoy the ride again.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Yes, Doctor John Sarno........" Mind Over Back Pain ", a book that will change your life, as it did mine. His basic premise is that we humanoids suppress our emotions and this action gets physically realized , often in our lower backs. I had been completely debilitated by my back pain, unable to walk, sit down, take a comfortable crap, etc., etc. Chiropractors and physicians gave me treatments and took my money. I bought braces. I ate pain killers. I cried and wished I would die. And then my son found this book by Sarno. Please read it and his other books, all dealing with back pain. Now, at 71, I'm in the best shape ever and hope anybody with back, and other muscle problems, will listen to Dr. John Sarno.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
Slight forward lean with my feet underneath me works best for me.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The key is to reduce (as much as possible) the fatigue to the lower back by keeping it as close as possible to the natural curve. (or in your case modified curve)
I'm tall and I have recurring pain in my lower back (too much time at a desk or driving a car). I have been nearly incapable of walking but once on my bike I get better. The best form or transportation for my back is a sport motorcycle.

Sport bikes are the bomb for the bad back for some people. I know that sounds counter-intuitive for most, but it might be worth a try for you. You need to sit properly (ie. not elbow-locked, wrists screaming) but if you do they can be surprisingly comfortable. Hell, there are times that I'm LAYING on the tank. Talk about comfy.

On the other hand, riding a standard or forward control and my back is in agony within 20 minutes. Just food for thought.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon View Post
Slight forward lean with my feet underneath me works best for me.
Bingo! I was gonna say the exact same thing.
A sport bike with with clip-ons is ridable all day. I also followed some ergonomic advice I found on ADV.

What's the guys name? Doesn't he describe an Ideal seating position as though it were a yoga pose?

Anyway the parts that worked for me were:
  • keep my back straight,
  • bend at the hips,
  • toes up on the pegs,
  • knees up against the tank
  • shoulders dropped
  • elbows out.

It takes a little getting used to but if you can maintain these body mechanics thoughout the ride it seems to be much easier on the entire body but especially on the low back.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
No surgery, just a couple herniated discs. I can't ride anything cruiser like. Standard upright with my feet underneath me is the best. I can even take the dirt bike out and beat around on the trails with no ill effects.

Walking arouns on a concrete floor for a few hours, now that's a different story.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Walking arouns on a concrete floor for a few hours, now that's a different story.
Berkenstock shoe inserts fixed that for me. Took about a month to get used to them. At first it felt like I had a golfball in each shoe but I can now do a full day in the garage. Made the mistake of wearing boat shoes with no insert a few weeks ago and paid a heavy price. Arch support is your friend!!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote