ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
fierostetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 237
Question about advmonster lights

Hi all - I recently removed a set of denali d2 lights from my KLR650 and installed them on my ninja 250. This left me sorely lacking adequate lighting on the KLR. I was thinking about ordering a few model 30 spots to install up on the D2 fairing mounts. The model 30 because it's a spot and I felt, less likely to blind other drivers. Another option is to install some model 60's, or a model 30 and a model 60. Either up on the fairing or down on the forks (using the screw holes for the reflectors by the brake caliper). I use the klr for 70% commuting to work (dark both ways, usually) and don't want to blind anyone, but I want to be seen, and I want to see. The model 60 is probably *way* too bright for my use, right? I like the idea of 3600 lumens, but without actually having one to test it's really hard to determine just how bright that really is. Any input would be great; I was even thinking about mixing a model 30 spot on the left side and a model 44 on the right side, to get fill and distance, without blinding oncoming drivers (on the left).
__________________
I buy all my stuff at motorcyclegear.com, formerly newenough.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,201
I have two model 30s mounted on my forks. I run them at all times. They are bright and bother other drivers a bit (I've been flashed at a couple times, but not too often). From the position of oncoming drivers, the lights are substantially brighter than the low beams. However, they're not as blinding as the high beams.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,020
Easy Fix

Buy two of the model 60's and a dimmer from: http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml I know blackdog cycle works sell these for about 55 bucks. Well worth it and super simple to install and program.
I run this set up with my model 60's set at 40% while on low beam. When I hit the high beam... they fully light up at 100%, which will amaze you when comparing to your stock lights

I have never been flashed in the low beam setting

You definitely wont regret the purchase

Just do it !!!


P.S.
( no connection to advmonster, other than my purchase )
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 182
Will they work well as a replacement for the low beam? I've been eyeing the fairing that uses the model 30 or 60.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Will they work well as a replacement for the low beam? I've been eyeing the fairing that uses the model 30 or 60.
Well.....as far as working well compared to the low beam, um.........yep.
Way more light, which translates into WAY more visability for you, as well as in the other folks on the road noticing you.

As I mentioned, with the dimmer from skene designs, you are able to program the level of brightness to whatever intensity you want. The settings available start at 10% of the maximum capability of the light, and you choose in 10% increments just how bright you want it. Programming it is VERY simple.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
fierostetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Buy two of the model 60's and a dimmer from: http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml I know blackdog cycle works sell these for about 55 bucks. Well worth it and super simple to install and program.
I run this set up with my model 60's set at 40% while on low beam. When I hit the high beam... they fully light up at 100%, which will amaze you when comparing to your stock lights

I have never been flashed in the low beam setting

You definitely wont regret the purchase

Just do it !!!


P.S.
( no connection to advmonster, other than my purchase )
out of curiosity, what bike and where are they mounted?
I'm worried bright + high mounted mike be more irritating than bright + low mounted. thanks for the input!
__________________
I buy all my stuff at motorcyclegear.com, formerly newenough.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,020
They are on a Super Enduro KTM. I have mounted them on a fender/tripletree mount (blackdog cycleworks), and a bit higher up with my custom set-up.

To be clear..... DO NOT worry about them being too bright. Using the dimmer, you can make them as dim as you want....


Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
out of curiosity, what bike and where are they mounted?
I'm worried bright + high mounted mike be more irritating than bright + low mounted. thanks for the input!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
fierostetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
They are on a Super Enduro KTM. I have mounted them on a fender/tripletree mount (blackdog cycleworks), and a bit higher up with my custom set-up.

To be clear..... DO NOT worry about them being too bright. Using the dimmer, you can make them as dim as you want....
ok cool. I was just worried, since my current mounting point is almost exactly the same height as everyone's rearview mirrors :P

I'll program a PWM LED controller and order some model 60's - thanks!
__________________
I buy all my stuff at motorcyclegear.com, formerly newenough.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: LA face with the Oakland booty
Oddometer: 182
Good to hear. Sounds like they can also be aimed so that they work as low beams and don't annoy other drivers.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
fierostetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Good to hear. Sounds like they can also be aimed so that they work as low beams and don't annoy other drivers.
yeah - being noticed is one thing, but irritating drivers doesn't do anything to help me, or motorcyclists in general.
__________________
I buy all my stuff at motorcyclegear.com, formerly newenough.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer
 
lvscrvs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: norcal
Oddometer: 619
I'm also considering the Model 60 / 3600 Lumen leds. At night if you adjust the dimmer to a setting that doesn't blind oncoming drivers, do they project far enough down the road to give you good visibility at 60-65mph compared to spots (which have lower output)? I'm not sure whether to go with these or the spots.
__________________
Ginormous Beasts go to the Eastside

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #12
pfdskipper
Westside Trash
 
pfdskipper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Litchfield Park, Az
Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
I'm also considering the Model 60 / 3600 Lumen leds. At night if you adjust the dimmer to a setting that doesn't blind oncoming drivers, do they project far enough down the road to give you good visibility at 60-65mph compared to spots (which have lower output)? I'm not sure whether to go with these or the spots.
Model 60s reach further out than his original spots, at least thats what he told me.

They project plenty far on the lower settings, way better than your current low beams. Remember, you can position the light beam in a manner that is unobtrusive to oncoming traffic.

I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic with my 40% setting. That setting is wayyyy better than my stock low beam.

Dont overthink this one fellas...you won't believe what you have been missing.

There are other manufacturers out there as well, I am not a schill for advmonster, follow your instincts.

I am just pleased with my purchase, they are just great lights for the cost, IMHO
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer
 
lvscrvs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: norcal
Oddometer: 619
many thanks pdfskipper... that's what i needed to know to make my decision...
__________________
Ginormous Beasts go to the Eastside

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014