User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Steveo1o9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Refrigerator Help?

So I just moved into a new apartment and like always had to re-clean most appliances. The refrigerator is a Frigidaire side by side with ice and water in the door. The water and ice dispenser was disgusting so I took it all apart and cleaned thouroughly. Put everything back together and it all worked fine, the ice maker even did its thing for 24hrs or so (so obviously below freezing). The next day I noticed the freezer was warm (40 deg F same as fridge) and everything had melted. It sounds as if the compressor and fans are running and I can even hear a click at times that I assume to be the thermostat. It almost seems as if the freezer is stuck on auto defrost.

I am not sure why this happened and can't imagine that removing the dispenser to clean could have caused this, as I wouldn't think any critical components are located in the door. It was only a few screws and two plugs. Like I said I am renting so I could just call my landlord but am hesitant since I may possibly have caused this. I just think that it was an odd coincidence that the freezer stopped working after I cleaned everything. Next step is to pull it out and clean the coils as I am sure that has probably never been done either.

Any thoughts on what to look for?
Steveo1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
rodnok1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Highly doubt anything you did caused the issue.
Unplug the unit for a bit and maybe you'll get lucky if it is stuck in a mode.
But a call to the landlord is in order more than likely. Stuff breaks and as long as no obvious damage he's not going to say anything.
rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
OHScot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just had similar. Had to replace a defrost timer. Seems to be a common problem.
OHScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
All your cleaning may have introduced a lot of humidity in the unit. That can cause the coils inside to freeze up. You can remove the freezer shelving and remove the back panel. If you see a big ice cube, get a hairdryer and do not chisel the ice.
As it was said above, it could be the defrost timer or the heating element. Try defrosting and make sure to dry up as much water as possible. If it freezes up again, call the landlord and tell him you think it is the defrost timer or heating element. Repairclinic.com can be a big help in diagnosing the two parts.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Steveo1o9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
So I unplugged the unit and pulled the back panels off of the freezer and sure enough the coils were iced up. I thawed it out and dried up all the water I could get my hands on l, put it all back together, and plugged it in overnight. Woke up this morning and Temps still read high at 60. Everything is running but it is just not cooling... The landlord has been notified.
Steveo1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,114
Bummer. Just defrosting usually gets you a few days/weeks of good cooling, even with a bad defrost timer or heating element.
The defrost timer sometimes can be manually advanced with a flat head screwdriver. It is usually in an easily accessible location, like behind the front kick plate or on the back of the fridge. It will be a black box with wires coming out of it and a little dial with a slot for a flat head screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote