User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
bigtrailie OP
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 586
200 sq. ft. shed - imagine the possibilities

My township will allow for a 200 square foot shed. Ive got plenty of work to do related to prepping the site (bringing in fill, leveling, building a boulder wall, etc). I plan to pour a concrete pad once the site is prepped. The real decision making relates to the shed design. Im immediately thinking 10x20 because I want to use all of allowable 200 sq ft. I was considering a 12 x 16 and would go that route if there was a good reason for it -- i.e. allows for a simpler build process, unique layout, whatever. But lets face it, this thing is going to be a rectangular box no matter what.
Im looking for some shed design ideas. Has anyone else gone through a similar sized build?

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
You can't do much better than this

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11065

MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,107
just do it, my first build, proud of it, turned out nice

I got slowed down researching plans , so just did my own thing.
Nothing on paper, no plans. menards made some custom trusses/cheap.
I was limited to 100 square feet.

dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
DUNDERHEAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Are you limited to 200 square feet on the footprint ? If so would they allow additional footage by adding a second story ? Just a thought.
DUNDERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,614
12 X 16 happens to be full sheets of 4 X 8 for sheeting the thing in.
Less waste etc.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
My local area requires permits if 200 square feet or larger. So planning on 200 would be the start of a permit. Makes my limit 199 square feet. Co-worker further in town had a 100 foot limit, so he had a 99 square foot shed built.

Second floor anything is permit required. For the shed/storage exemption they are nice and go off the slab size although for setbacks they do go off the eves of the buildings. And there is also the requirement of no power and no plumbing. The zoning office recommended solar lights with battery to stay away from the electrical permit/building permit.

But even over 200 square feet they said the building requirements are very mild. Is it structurally sound? If so it is fine. It is just when power or water are added that they really raise an eyebrow and start getting picky about how it is built.

Now this is strictly where I live. You would be a total idiot to assume that it is the same everywhere. Go to your local zoning department and have a nice talk with what you want to do and what the requirements are. They are different everywhere. The only ones that really matter are the ones in the area you live in.

Now if you just go out on your own and make a building without checking what is needed first you can get into big trouble. Worst case is fined and have to tear it down. My uncle got half hose a few years back. Put a nice little garage/workshop/feed shed out back. ~400 square foot? No permit. Went to sell the house, could not list it as a feature. Ended up giving the building to the new owner as it wasn't permitted. With proper paperwork and permits it would have added a lot to the value of the property. Second time around he wised up and get it permitted.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
My township will allow for a 200 square foot shed. Ive got plenty of work to do related to prepping the site (bringing in fill, leveling, building a boulder wall, etc). I plan to pour a concrete pad once the site is prepped. The real decision making relates to the shed design. Im immediately thinking 10x20 because I want to use all of allowable 200 sq ft. I was considering a 12 x 16 and would go that route if there was a good reason for it -- i.e. allows for a simpler build process, unique layout, whatever. But lets face it, this thing is going to be a rectangular box no matter what.
Im looking for some shed design ideas. Has anyone else gone through a similar sized build?
12.5x16 = 200

I built a 10x12 several years ago but wished I had have gone at least 12x14. I find the 12' depth just long enough to work on the bike but often requires some re positioning (with bike in center I'm left with ~2' front and back to walk around it). Also, in the interest of shutting a neighbour up, I built it with a low roof line which makes me feel like I'm in a small box - I didn't get permits and was not legal in its placement wrt property lines (required to be 4', I'm about 1' ). In hindsight I would have got my permit, placed it legally, built my roof to the max allowed of 13' instead of current 9', and told the neighbour to go fuck herself.
R_Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
I wish I lived where you do, but my city only allows 150 square feet. They also don't allow permanent mounting to the foundation, nor utilities to be run without a permit. So this is what I built over the holiday break. It's 148 square feet. Holds 6 bikes and gear. Has a solar panel on the roof for the battery tenders. It's just 20' from the garage in case I need more power one day. Been meaning to do a build report as I documented it pretty well.

found a 'night' shot. Still decorating

groop screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 11:58 AM
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
It's 148 square feet. Holds 6 bikes and gear.
And a yellow dog and a table saw.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Just how many 200 sq ft sheds are you allowed? Are you allowed to build an unattached, overhanging breezeway?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #11
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,978
I am just completing a 12x16 shed. The first thing to consider in the design is how it fits on the lot. In our case, it was in the back corner which has a small hump. If I would have gone to 10x20, the front of the shed would have been visually closer to the house and patio, and it would have also been several inches further off the ground due to the slope. Or the back would have been sunk in further.

The other thing to consider is how the shelving etc. will be laid out inside. The 12 foot width (11'-4" inside) allows me to have a row of 24" deep shelving on one side, a 36" wide aisle and another row of shelving down the middle. That leaves room to hang stuff on the opposite wall plus shove a bike in. A 10 foot wide shed would probably be too narrow to have a row of shelving down the middle.

I do think a 12x16 looks a little better rather than a long skinny one. And it is a more efficent use of materials. The rafters would be 2x4's either way and there is less panel cutting. The peak of the roof is a little higher if you want to store anyting overhead.

dhally screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 03:28 PM
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #12
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I have a 12x20 which is a little larger, but you'd be amazed what you can do if you organize it well. A big door, high ceiling, window, and adequate power will go a long way towards making this a viable workplace. I'd suggest a 9' ceiling minimum. My 12x20 has a 7'6" ceiling and it ain't enough!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,592
As for electricity...... just run an "extension cord". I had some heavy gauge 3-wire cable (for a welder I think?) and made a 75' extension cord to power my 11x13 shed. Runs lots of light, a ceiling fan and my compressor if I unscrew all but 2 lightbulbs. I also have a propane wall heater.

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #14
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal View Post
As for electricity...... just run an "extension cord". I had some heavy gauge 3-wire cable (for a welder I think?) and made a 75' extension cord to power my 11x13 shed. Runs lots of light, a ceiling fan and my compressor if I unscrew all but 2 lightbulbs. I also have a propane wall heater.
I disagree. You are building a man cave. Man caves crave power. Trench some 6 gauge four strand wire in conduit, then run another conduit with cable and Ethernet. Flat panel TVs are almost throwaway cheap these days. Awesome to work on a bike (or whatever) with some soccer, football, or your sport of choice in the background. If you'll be working in this shed for a long time it will be worth it.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #15
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
12x16 will be more practical than 10x20. Get a roll of flagging tape and layout both on your lawn to get a feel for them both. Make sure that the 200 s/f requirement applies floor space not covered space. Covered space would include the roof overhang. A friend gamed the system and installed a roll out awning (like they use on motor homes) on his shed. GH
GH41 is online now   Reply With Quote