+1
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #167
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
The Big Bore cylinder I have for my YZ250F is known for having head gasket issues. I've blown it twice (though now believing the issue is unrelated), but figured I'd go ahead and O-Ring the cylinder. So I added a SS O-Ring groove to the cylinder. Waiting on the 0.041" wire to arrive today, but depth was spot on at 0.031" deep & 0.039" wide.

Andrew

Probably a dumb question but what was the old gasket made of ? Any chance you would post a couple pics before you assemble it- I am curious about this and would like to see more. Thanks for the post!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #168
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
That robot needs a video post, wouldn't mind seeing more build photos either
Click on it, It is a video. I will post some pictures later today.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #169
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Probably a dumb question but what was the old gasket made of ? Any chance you would post a couple pics before you assemble it- I am curious about this and would like to see more. Thanks for the post!
You still use a head gasket with this setup. The gasket is metal (aluminum\steel?) coated in some rubber. I'll verify when my new one comes in.

I think my head gasket issues are stemming from me not cleaning the head bolt threads enough after Soda Blasting the cases. I'll be running the tap through things.

I'll snap some more pictures when I get the things all put together with Stainless ring & head gasket.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #170
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

This week for me was a bust, a lot of hours at the computer working on signage for a new business in town. Not my forte at all but I guess it was in the job description when I signed on. I like to make stuff with my hands much more then sit at a computer and fiddle f__k around. Did some welding this on a weight bracket for a pulling tractor. Not too sure why you make a bracket out of aluminum for a 6500lb tractor to hang a 1000lbs of weight on ? I would have made it out of Steel - but then again I dont do tractor pulling so 6061 it is.
A practice bead - BTW I have about 50 of these 6061 tool plate drops I need to find something I can make out of them- 3/8 X about 6" X 8". has to be something I can make out of these ?

Looks o.k. - crank the machine up to 365 amps- its all 1/2" and I need good hot starts.
This is the actual piece the weights hang on - bad picture but big fat welds and a lot of filler - I actually weld two full lengths of filler end to end so I dont have to stop - heavy mig gloves for this.

Better pic of the weld

Finished unit.

The guy who brought this to me was a Sharpie maniac- I know most people who weld are aware of this but I will mention - sharpie and welding is a bad combo- something about the ink - not sure if it etches in or what, but I have had some issues years ago and now am in a habit of making sure I clean every trace out of the weld area if it is used. Steel mig not so much a problem as AC tig. Either one I still clean. IMHO weld prep is the key to good welds, when I say prep I mean the 3 M's - man,machine, and material. I always reflect to those I learned from and the best weldor I know would take 20 minutes to set up a 5 minute weld sometimes.
Last little project was bending up some new feet for a tractor blower, not too exciting :cut :bend :weld - done

Today I work on this I started- A saw fixture for a up coming job, have to cut points on 1/8X1/2 6061. I struggled with machining these or sawing? Going with sawing but if need be I am making the fixture so it will work in the mill also. The start of the fixture
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #171
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Not too sure why you make a bracket out of aluminum for a 6500lb tractor to hang a 1000lbs of weight on ? I would have made it out of Steel
Most pulling rules have an absolute weight limit for the tractor, so hanging the weights out as far from the tractor as you can becomes the only way to gain additional advantage. Making the hanger out of aluminum saves some weight so it can then be placed where the puller thinks it will do the most good. The things people will do to win a ribbon at the state fair
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #172
River
Gee

Oddometer: 156
You guys are amazing, very, very nice work. I am drooling over your shop areas. Love this thread. I have custom panniers so that the factory mounts can be used. This way I can use the factory bags, or the aluminums depending on the trip. Crash bars were also fabricated.

Don't laugh at the welds and crude cuts

They look better on the bike

the left side is larger to fit a full face helmet

River screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 03:30 AM
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #173
Daryl_Stamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Looks good to me, ...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #174
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_Stamp View Post
Looks good to me, ...
+1 ! looks like you fab a lot of cool stuff. Did you make the trailer too ?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #175
River
Gee

Oddometer: 156
No did not make the trailer, but changed alot of the original. Paint, made independent shock from leaf single axle, swivel tounge, added stand, and some other bits here and there.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #176
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,195
The new light setup for the KTM is slowly inching towards completion:

Mounting tabs machined up, filed down & it's jigged up on the bike. Holding it in place will be some 1/2" 4130 tube. First, make a 1/2" mandrel for the homebrew bender:

Partly made. Trying to get all these angles right took a while. The light sits off to one side slightly to avoid the back of it hitting the ignition barrel - to have it centred would mean fitting it a long way further out, or further down. I wanted it compact & not shining on the mudguard so chose function over form. I may fit an LED spot on one side so it'll be asymmetric anyway.

My tube welding is still pretty ugly but seems strong enough. A 1/2" round file makes short work of the notching.

The bottom mounting plate will be trimmed down once I have the loom connector & relay attachments under there figured out. Next up is the RH support tube & making up an aluminium dash/windscreen mount that will bolt in between the uprights. Those dangerous looking horns will be trimmed down to sit under the dash level.

Designing/making this thing has been like a game of chess There's a lot going on in the headlight/dash area, making something effective, strong, light, compact, serviceable & not too hideous requires thinking a few steps ahead all the time.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #177
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,130
I never posted pictures of my cylinder with the SS o-ring installed, and or the head gasket. Well, I had the chance to pull the bike back apart, due to failing head gasket....again Turns out that one of the head alignment dowels was protruding about 0.040" too much. Just enough to allow the head gasket to slightly squish, but not enough to put it under proper sealing load. Fixed that up, and it's back together. I'll know shortly if it'll be holding.

I don't have a picture, but I coated the head gasket with Copper Coat. Figured that couldn't hurt it.

Great looking machined stuff in this thread

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #178
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,195
Some more progress on the headlight & dash for the 640:

Lots of cardboard was molested in the mocking up of the the dash & windscreen mount tabs.

As a alu welding n00b joining the 2mm alu for the dash surround took a few tries to hit the sweet spot between melting holes & zero penetration, eventually I got enough birdshit splattered into the seams that I could sand it back to something that looks ok from a distance I think I'll paint it black eventually.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #179
SnoPro753
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
This seemed like a logical place to ask.

I have a motorcycle with 43mm diameter fork tubes. I want to put taller clip on handlebars. I have located Kawasaki Concours clip ons for cheap. They have a 41mm diameter fork tubes. Can I take the 41mm clip ons to a machine shop and have them open the clip ons up to 43mm? ie- take 2mm of material off in a perfect circle?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #180
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro753 View Post
This seemed like a logical place to ask.

I have a motorcycle with 43mm diameter fork tubes. I want to put taller clip on handlebars. I have located Kawasaki Concours clip ons for cheap. They have a 41mm diameter fork tubes. Can I take the 41mm clip ons to a machine shop and have them open the clip ons up to 43mm? ie- take 2mm of material off in a perfect circle?

yes, though it won't be real cheap . . . making it entirely centered takes it out of the "drillpress and pray" category.

the question you did NOT ask is, "will there be enough metal left to use the clipons safely."

Depends on the thinkness of the material in the first place.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote