Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #61
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Well I guess no one has much interest in posting up other projects so
Everything lined up now.

Plate gets some reinforcement added to the bottom (overkill !)

Still lines up - I learned to check, recheck, triple check. Its a bit of a pisser when it "fit before".

Getting a little closer - the lifting "buckets" are also in place and my back is getting out of place from moving these things around.

I know if anyone is actually looking at this they probably think I am the slowest poke in the west. I work 12 + hours a day, but between interruptions and such I really am lucky to get 6 hours of focused time. Today was 2 hours wasted gouging bad welds- why ? I had a heck of a time figuring it out, it would weld fine for a couple stitches and then I would get porosity in the weld. I would stop "futs" with it and then the same would happen. I finally decided its not gas its got to be wire. Nope dumb ass it was gas, never assume that when you get that blast out the nozzle you have good flow, turns out the flow would taper off due to two of the 6 holes being plugged. The pressure would build trigger off, then bleed down during the weld, if you were welding in a corner it was better because the gas is trapped more, but out on flat or outside corners it was worse. People ask why I buy premium wire - as much as it didnt save me this time, I generally will never assume its wire and go right to gas or prep if I have a problem. Get stung on bad wire and you can really scratch your head for a while until you give up and swap it out.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #62
Treadless
used 2 b aventuring

Oddometer: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Still lines up - I learned to check, recheck, triple check. Its a bit of a pisser when it "fit before".

Ain't that the truth.

Quote:

I work 12 + hours a day, but between interruptions and such I really am lucky to get 6 hours of focused time.

This too.

Quote:
Today was 2 hours wasted gouging bad welds- why ? I had a heck of a time figuring it out, it would weld fine for a couple stitches and then I would get porosity in the weld. I would stop "futs" with it and then the same would happen. I finally decided its not gas its got to be wire. Nope dumb ass it was gas, never assume that when you get that blast out the nozzle you have good flow, turns out the flow would taper off due to two of the 6 holes being plugged. The pressure would build trigger off, then bleed down during the weld, if you were welding in a corner it was better because the gas is trapped more, but out on flat or outside corners it was worse. People ask why I buy premium wire - as much as it didnt save me this time, I generally will never assume its wire and go right to gas or prep if I have a problem. Get stung on bad wire and you can really scratch your head for a while until you give up and swap it out.

That's new one for me. Thanks, I'll log that in the bank & hopefully be able to prevent the frustration level from getting out of hand.

Oh yea, Nice clean work on the the bases.

Treadless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #63
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oh yea, Nice clean work on the the bases. [/QUOTE]

Thank you. My welding has been a bit shabby lately, just rushing it too much I think. You know how it is, prep is so important and when you hurry it is the first thing you skimp on.
A little expanation on the pressure build up, I regulate at the tank and have 25' of hose to the feeder, all that hose is a little storage tank so to speak. Really I believe one is smart to have the shortest hose possible, less purging and less chance of pressure drops ect.... I just like having my tank & power supply sit and only the feeder moving around the shop.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #64
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,786
Well, I would post a project but the last thing I did was build a little dashboard for my bike. Not exactly up to the caliber of this thread, so you will have to be content to let me live vicariously through you.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #65
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Well I guess no one has much interest in posting up other projects so...
Well, I would, but everything I do at work is for various forms of proprietary research and putting it on the internet is probably a bad idea

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #66
Laconic
Anodyne

We won't tell. Honest.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #67
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
That is some HEAVY-DUTY fabrication you're doing there! Keep up the nice work.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #68
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Well, I would post a project but the last thing I did was build a little dashboard for my bike. Not exactly up to the caliber of this thread, so you will have to be content to let me live vicariously through you.

Cant tell and not show - lets see it
Old 02-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #69
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

There done and out of the shop

NOT for long
I just need the table and this part of the project is pretty much done other then the clean up before they go out for galvanizing.
A clean welding table again -

My tools for cleaning the table, I dont tack down to this table so I dont grind on it, just scrape and a scotchbrite on a 4.5" grinder.

Then I spray down with these

Yes WD on top of anti splat - Yes I know WD is flammable - I was already lectured on a welding forum about this, but after many years of doing this I have yet to have my welding table start on fire
I decided I would draw up and cut a panel for my truck - I got this far

Then this showed up for a quick "open up the bore". Retired tool and die guy brings this in and says "open her up to 1.3751" "you can be +.0001 -minus ZERO" .
I think I have it ,depends on how he measures it and you know he will- I did about 10X's and it looks good to me.

Then I figured I would see if I can figure out why my press brake is making a hydraulic slip and slde - got as far as guards off -

Then 12 of these showed up so I can continue on with the project I just set out side.

So back at it-
These are "stabilizers" for those frames that are parked out side for the night.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #70
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
Very cool!

As for the WD-40, how could it start on fire? First it is the propellent that is the most flamable, second WD-40 dries almost completely leaving little residue to catch on fire. Silliness!

Anyhow, I like seeing what others make, so keep it up. My own projects are a joke comparred to this work.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #71
Laconic
Anodyne

Quote:
Cant tell and not show - lets see it
OK, try not to be overwhelmed.

The dash mounts over the top of the Madstad bracket using the OEM screws.

Here it is painted satin black. I will probably mount a couple RAM balls on it and use it mostly for the GPS.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #72
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think it looks great - we all are our own biggest critics ! Thats fabrication at its finest as far as I am concerned - functional motorcycle fab
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #73
Laconic
Anodyne

Well, I'm too cheap to buy one and it gave me something to putter with.

You're right about the self-criticism, it runs in my family; my dad says "no one else will ever notice the things you're dissatisfied with."

My friend Gary says "You can't see it from the road."
Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #74
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Well, I'm too cheap to buy one and it gave me something to putter with.

You're right about the self-criticism, it runs in my family; my dad says "no one else will ever notice the things you're dissatisfied with."

My friend Gary says "You can't see it from the road."
I've got a few favorites I've heard over the years too.

From my dad:
"close enough for government work" (retired Nave Seabee/diver)

From my uncle: "galloping horses" as in: if you can't see it from a galloping horse, it's good enough.

From a general contracting racquetball buddy:
"can't see it from my house"
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #75
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
xcflyn

You have the kind of shop and equipment I've always dreamed of some day having, and living in similar surroundings--------guess I'll have to continue dreaming!
Great equipment, quality workmanship, and terrific attitude for your customers! Job well done!
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote