User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #91
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
New day - new project
This one for a fellow inmate. Really not even sure if it is a cycle part - but its a nice little project.

6061 sawed a little over size

Set up a short program just to machine slots. Not sure why but I decided to machine the slots first then remove the bulk of the material after , but it did work well. Normally if possible I start with the hardest details that I can logically do first, or the heaviest cuts first. This time it was neither.

While the mill was cutting I decided to cut this for a local kid. Short story- he walks in with this drawing and asks if I can cut it - no dimensions- nothing on the drawing. I say,yes . . . BUT ... By the time I clean it up and get it ready to cut its not going to be a $10.00 part. He says "how about if I send you a DXF file"; well ok, that sounds good but I still need to redraw it ( if there are gaps- it wont code clean, and if there are lines over lines it will back up and try to recut). He said he will make sure its clean.
I told him I would cut him a template out of 1/8" plastic so he can check the fit before making two out of steel. $8.00 his cost,nearly my cost. He was all smiles. The kid sends me the file and I decide to just run it as it is seeing how the material is $.20 and the cut time is less then 2 minutes (plastic cuts fast and no abrasive needed)
The file was clean - near perfect - one gap in a corner radius that was so small I could push through it without piercing again.
This looks pretty bad, but two seconds of scotch brite cleaned it up perfect.

Out of steel it will look great He loved it - told me he took two years of drafting and learned cad. Guess these are tail light covers he making for an old truck he is restoring. 2 for $36. Most guys wont turn the pump on for $36.00 but for a kid rebuilding an old truck - hell ya I'll do it.

Inmate part near done- couple tap holes to do tomorrow
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #92
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,798
Verry cool of you to do the Chevy emblems so cheap for the kid. Show us the final product if you can!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #93
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Just wanted to say thanks for the link to keith Fenner on youtube. I have been working on getting back up to speed on my machines (small mill and 2 lathes) and his stuff is fun to watch,and educational. and your thread is great too.
I am just finishing rebuilding my 1944 Willys MB engine (farmed out the big machine work ) and then on to a mill project. I have to find time to restore a 74 TY250a i Bought to fix and resell before trials season starts in NE too.
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #94
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,315
Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to post it up guys. It's always interesting & educational seeing all the different ways to make stuff. I've just finished my most recent fab project, a tail rack & some basic soft pannier rails for my KTM: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865994

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #95
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

My list of accomplishments was short and pretty boring today. Finished the part for our ADV brother. A little lazy to swap to tall jaws so I did this- then located the part and flipped it to see how close it would be. Close, actually it was within .003" and I know the part had a little lee-way so I ran with it.And I did re-locate it prior to drilling and tapping. I just wanted to be sure that the holes were very close to perfectly inline. .003 over 10" with a 8MM thread - never know they were not drilled in line. At least most of us would never know

To keep the piece from deflecting from tool pressure I did this and drilled it by hand to make sure I had a feel for the pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Verry cool of you to do the Chevy emblems so cheap for the kid. Show us the final product if you can!

Jim
Here's the tail light covers (along with the finished bracket)

Last task was more of these handles - fresh out of the tumbler
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #96
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,179
What is that green stuff?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #97
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
What is that green stuff?
Plastic media used on aluminum. There is also a soap type solution in water that circulates while it vibrates. The plastic softens the edges and rolls little sharp edges if there are some without wearing on the material and changing the spec. Steel parts use a ceramic media that is more abrasive.
I never had a vibratory tumbler until the Water Jet, it cuts abrasively and leaves very square corners, the tumbler is the man in the corner cleaning parts for me

xcflyn screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 10:53 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #98
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Beautiful work, Dan!

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we learn something new every time we visit your thread.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post what you're working on. Very interesting and informative.

Helping a young kid out who's working on a truck for cost also tells me that the quality of your work is only exceeded by the quality of person you are.

Good on 'ya!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #99
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Beautiful work, Dan!

I think I speak for all of us when I say that we learn something new every time we visit your thread.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post what you're working on. Very interesting and informative.

Helping a young kid out who's working on a truck for cost also tells me that the quality of your work is only exceeded by the quality of person you are.

Good on 'ya!

Agreed 100%
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #100
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I just wanted to give a big thank you to xcflyn for my new part. We have been emailing back and forth for a week or so and just got the part I wanted made and it was perfect! I really couldn't ask for a nicer guy to deal with!

2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #101
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlecattle View Post
I just wanted to give a big thank you to xcflyn for my new part. We have been emailing back and forth for a week or so and just got the part I wanted made and it was perfect! I really couldn't ask for a nicer guy to deal with!
Very glad it worked for you- thank you for the good words. Always helps when a guy sends you a good drawing to work off of, not that it was necessary, but it was nice to just hang it up and cut after checking all the math of course (which was all good )
I had a few boring projects over the last few days, took pictures but just didnt get around to posting, nothing too exciting.
The last few days I took a beating, agreed to make a couple trailer fenders for a guy for $200 - then he says "can you mount them ?" Yes . "same price" Yes.
"Can I bring the trailer by today?" Yes. So a hour later he pulls in with a trailer that needs lots of work, along with old brackets cut off, holes in the frame and he has a bag of lights and a new jack for me to install .
Seriously, I just looked at it and said pick it up tuesday- "what about those old mangled brackets ?" Pick it up tuesday. "Can you wire those lights for me ?" Ahh - not for $200. "Forget it- I'll wire them" .
Got some of it done today.
Patched the holes in the frame and removed what was left of the one fender.

Spent a few hours (maybe 6), trying to come up with a solution for a guy who needs some really tight hat channel made, ended up playing around trying to figure out how to knock it out in 1 hit and have the right clearance between punch and die (200 pieces to make if I get it)

These pieces are smaller then they look- .300 deep X .420 wide X .200 flange (hat). I am not set up for doing this but I had to try, just cost me a bunch of time, later he told me what they were doing and I am going to work on a different solution to his problem. Here was the 3" version of the punch and die to form the channel, it works-but for 200 pieces 24" long I would have to machine something out of 4140 or something high carbon and then flame harden it - which a buddy of mine who is a blacksmith would help me with.

Then I bent up a couple hinges to mount my power supply for my mig machine to the wall. I will see about getting it mounted tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #102
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Not sure if this really belongs here but here is the idea behind my bracket, more work to be done but...
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #103
xcflyn OP
Beastly Adventurer

question

Two (yes only two) people asked that I keep this thread alive, do I-we?
It is not that it is really too difficult to do thanks to the fact my cell phone that is always on me takes better pictures then any of my past cameras and with drop box and other goodies it does not take much time to post simple stuff. I get PM's with questions but the thread seems to lack luster. I personally have a pretty clear picture of what I make and how I made it and dont feel a personal need to "show case" or possibly: spread my legs for a boot to the sack
I recently talked to my adv buddy Kirk the wannabe rookie -turned pro, and he asked that I keep this going, at the same time I say everyone should throw in and keep it going ? Last post - 3/11 today 3/22, is there enough interest here or should I (we) let a sleeping dog sleep, after all it is a motorcycle forum and other then the high country snow is melting and motorcycle season is upon us.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #104
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I vote YES!

keep it alive!!!!!!!!

My day job shift rotation prevents me from taking machining classes at the local community college. The only way would be to inconvenience all of my co-workers by screwing up everyone else's schedule. I'm not going to do that.

I've learned a lot by simply watching what you're doing.

The only other way I can learn is by doing. Since I don't have a lathe or mill, that's not happening, either.

This thread is very nice and I think you should keep it going!
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #105
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 535
Even though I don't post I greatly enjoy reading this thread and seeing what you are working on.

I say keep it going