ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #31
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeThumper
Friday ride....eastside works good. I'd rather take the Edmonds/Kingston ferry because it's closest for me. Loggers Landing cafe in Quilcene is a possible meeting spot for those who prefer a westside meeting. What do ya think?

OT: we had the Green Hornet, so how about the Dynamic Duo....'er....soggy Dynamic Duo.
Edmonds / Kingston is perfect for me.

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #32
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Oddometer: 719
Riding Thursday or Friday?

Has this ride been finalized for Friday? I've watched this thread since it started and I've checked the weather forecasts multiple times each day. Thursday is the pick of the week as of now. There's a chance of showers Friday. Thursday is the only "predicted" dry day in the 5 day forecast. Just curious.

I'm retired, I plan my rides around the weather, not my days off.
das Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 PM   #33
toothy OP
Grin

Oddometer: 14,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by das Rider
Has this ride been finalized for Friday? I've watched this thread since it started and I've checked the weather forecasts multiple times each day. Thursday is the pick of the week as of now. There's a chance of showers Friday. Thursday is the only "predicted" dry day in the 5 day forecast. Just curious.

I'm retired, I plan my rides around the weather, not my days off.
OK, here's the Edmonds/Kingston schedule:

Let's meet up at the Edmonds Ferry terminal for the 9:20 run on Friday July 8th.

Rain or shine. Personally I'm hoping for shine.

So far:

Toothy
CascadeThumper
Stosh23
das Rider
Old 07-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #34
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothygrin
OK, here's the Edmonds/Kingston schedule:

Let's meet up at the Edmonds Ferry terminal for the 9:20 run on Friday July 8th.

Rain or shine. Personally I'm hoping for shine.

So far:

Toothy
CascadeThumper
Stosh23
das Rider
Sorry - Mates,

Have to back out of Thur or Friday. I am now two days behind on getting the bike ready. I was to be off all week and got called in today and tomorrow.

Wish I was retired and planned around the weather,

Have fun and Enjoy

Stosh

06 ST1300
Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #35
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Tell me about this trip.

Quote:
It's doable on a streetbike although about 25 miles are gravel. About 200 miles, zero super slab.
I am unfamiliar with this area so please explain what you meant by "doable on a street bike". Right now I'd have to make this run on the GS with Tourances in good shape. I could air them down. I hate to air down tires for more traction, the last time I tried that we twisted a drive shaft in two, but that was then.

Is the off road portion "just" gravel roads? Or are we talking about rough, rocky, steep, switch backed, jeep trails? I'll be honest, my GS is going to get babied, it's well on its way to becoming a classic. I'd ride a good smooth gravel road on it, maybe even in the rain, but I have no illusions about it being a dirt bike.

http://laceyphoto.smugmug.com/
Old 07-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #36
toothy OP
Grin

Quote:
I am unfamiliar with this area so please explain what you meant by "doable on a street bike". Right now I'd have to make this run on the GS with Tourances in good shape. I could air them down. I hate to air down tires for more traction, the last time I tried that we twisted a drive shaft in two, but that was then.

Is the off road portion "just" gravel roads? Or are we talking about rough, rocky, steep, switch backed, jeep trails? I'll be honest, my GS is going to get babied, it's well on its way to becoming a classic. I'd ride a good smooth gravel road on it, maybe even in the rain, but I have no illusions about it being a dirt bike.

This route you would easily do with your Mother's Cadillac.
Penny Creek Road is a seprentine, 12 foot wide paved road in the middle of nowhere. There are long banked sweepers, and blind off-camber hairpins. It's something like 20 miles long. It connects to a double didgit (through) nicely maintained hard-packed gravel forest road and summits at (I'm guessing) 2,800 feet. It's never been clear skies when I've been up there but my buddy who told me of this route said it's got reat vistas. It ends up in a residential neighborhood in Sequim.

I ride a GS, and while I don't necessarily baby it, I don't ride it like a dirtbike either. I've got Tourances with 11K miles and I think I did air them down the last time I went this route, mostly for stopping tracion on the way down. Usually on D/S rides I take off my plastic System Cases an pack my gear in a tail bag, but this one's so road -oriented, I'm leaving my system cases on for Friday's ride and I'll have first-aid, cellphone, lunch, x-tra clothes, rain gear and electric tire pump.

I rode this same route last month thru a persistent drizzle by myself, I'm looking forward to some company and nicer weather this time!

I'm also kind of a slow-poke, and like to stop for pictures a lot.

Cheers, Dave
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #37
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
So far the schedule is lookin' good. Keep your tire irons crossed.
Gather up about 9:00 a.m. Friday morning at the Edmonds ferry.
MV Spokane is "das boot".
Pay your money to the tollmaster and take your chances.....
Dat's da plan, Dave's da man....
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #38
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

Quote:
This route you would easily do with your Mother's Cadillac.
Penny Creek Road is a seprentine, 12 foot wide paved road in the middle of nowhere. There are long banked sweepers, and blind off-camber hairpins. It's something like 20 miles long. It connects to a double didgit (through) nicely maintained hard-packed gravel forest road and summits at (I'm guessing) 2,800 feet. It's never been clear skies when I've been up there but my buddy who told me of this route said it's got reat vistas. It ends up in a residential neighborhood in Sequim.

I ride a GS, and while I don't necessarily baby it, I don't ride it like a dirtbike either. I've got Tourances with 11K miles and I think I did air them down the last time I went this route, mostly for stopping tracion on the way down. Usually on D/S rides I take off my plastic System Cases an pack my gear in a tail bag, but this one's so road -oriented, I'm leaving my system cases on for Friday's ride and I'll have first-aid, cellphone, lunch, x-tra clothes, rain gear and electric tire pump.

I rode this same route last month thru a persistent drizzle by myself, I'm looking forward to some company and nicer weather this time!

I'm also kind of a slow-poke, and like to stop for pictures a lot.

Cheers, Dave
Count me in. My wife is traveling to Singapore Saturday and will be gone for 5 days. I have boys to keep an eye on so I won't be getting too far from home for a few days, so Friday is my last chance to get out for a while. But, I am telling you Thursday's weather will be better. I guess if I'm going to ride this thing to Alaska I need to learn to embrace riding in the rain.

I'm a photographer first and everything else second, so stop often we will.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #39
toothy OP
Grin

Hallrite!

So far:

Toothy
CascadeThumper
[s]Stosh23[/s]
das Rider
Old 07-06-2005, 03:03 PM   #40
toothy OP
Grin

Hallrite!

So far:

Toothy
CascadeThumper
das Rider

Any one else

See youze then.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #41
das Rider
Professional Hobbyist

As predicted today is freekin' beautiful. Tomorrow the Sequim forecast is for rain showers, 50% chance and accumulation of 1/4". So, are you still going under those conditions? Do I need a wet suit?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #42
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
As predicted today is freekin' beautiful. Tomorrow the Sequim forecast is for rain showers, 50% chance and accumulation of 1/4". So, are you still going under those conditions? Do I need a wet suit?

Probably not. Neither a16 tony or I are goin' so it should be nice and dry!

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #43
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Probably not. Neither a16 tony or I are goin' so it should be nice and dry!
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !!!

06 ST1300
Old 07-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #44
toothy OP
Grin

Quote:

I don't think I've ever been riding 'round the Olympics and haven't been rained on. Tomorrey is my day to ride and dagnabit, I'm-a-ridin.

I even stopped in at GI Joes on the way home tonite and invested a whopping 14 bucks on a PVC slicker. That's the only way I do it now. All my Joe Rocket gear has long since lost it's water repellency.

'sides, 50% chance of rain means half chance of sunny and 70F, ham I rrrright?

See youze @ Edmonds for the 9:20
Old 07-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #45
toothy OP
Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT !!!

So you're comin, right?