ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
MT950 OP
"OLD" Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Vacuum fuel pump for 950

Did a search here,and found some info. but topic stopped in 07. Anyone, here running a vacuum fuel pump conversion kit (like the one Alternate Cycles carries) on their KTM 950 Adv. ? If there is a thread for this, please steer me that way! Thanks for any info. or feed-back.
MT950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT950
Did a search here,and found some info. but topic stopped in 07. Anyone, here running a vacuum fuel pump conversion kit (like the one Alternate Cycles carries) on their KTM 950 Adv. ? If there is a thread for this, please steer me that way! Thanks for any info. or feed-back.
any questions? i have many bikes with 10,000 klicks on the kit! www.alternatecycle.com always turn off your gas tanks overnite as it is possible to hydro lock if the tanks are full and tanks vents are not working!
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Hey Kennyd

Do you use both fuel outlets or just one ?

My bike ( home brew w Mikuni )works great unless pulling a long fast 80ish uphill , it seems to run out o fuel , just cuts out for a second , other wise it's fine .

Certainly it looses vacuum under big loads , aka vacuume wiper
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
kennyd
kennyd

both outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP
Do you use both fuel outlets or just one ?

My bike ( home brew w Mikuni )works great unless pulling a long fast 80ish uphill , it seems to run out o fuel , just cuts out for a second , other wise it's fine .

Certainly it looses vacuum under big loads , aka vacuume wiper
i use both outlets 1 to each carb but that is not your problem your vacuum fitting is too small and doesnt keep up to your fuel consumption! drill out the fitting min 9/64"
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Thumb Thanks !!

You'r right the vacuume fitting I used was that brass fitting with the tinny hole .

It's reasuring that no fuse - points - electic motor to worry about .
I did get hydrolock in New Mexico on the centerstand , had to remove the rear plug to get the fuel out . Pushing in gear didn't work .
Now I just turn off the valve at night with a full tank .

No valves any more on the tank vents .

Thanks again Kennyd !!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Kennyd

Will your kit work with a 990 ?
They seem to be having fuel pump probs too ...
Old 07-29-2009, 05:11 AM   #7
kennyd
kennyd

990 fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950TRANSALP
Will your kit work with a 990 ?
They seem to be having fuel pump probs too ...
no the 990 is a completely different system with high fuel pressure over 60lbs and controls the fuel curve ! thsi low pressure kit is just to keep the float bowls full.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #8
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Is there an aftermarket solenoid operated fuel shut-off that would go well with this pump? I think Moto Guzzi's have an electric shut off petcock. Turn off the key and the fuel shuts off.

I like the idea of this pump better than the stock or alternate electric ones, but I think turning the fuel off manually would be a PITA that might easily be forgotten at the wrong time.
Hank.SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Something like this...

http://www.dan-marc.com/79-afc11112.html

12 Volt Multi Fuel Shut Off Valve

Item# 79-AFC11112
Regular price: $29.87
Sale price: $25.65
Availability: Usually ships in 2-3 business days.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
dieterf
dieterf

Oddometer: 11
I have used the alternate vacuum option for 700 km's now. Bike runs great, no issues at full throttle acceleration nor full speed. i do close the fuel taps,as after a refill i left them on at the office for a full day and i suspected a tad of hydrolock, I battled to start and the bike ran very rich for a while. i now run one side tank closed all the time, unless the level is low as the reserve is halved. This eases closing the taps near the header on the right side. am contemplating fitting an inline stopckock into the carb supply line, post the t junction and the tank. battling to find a suitable unit though.
dieterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
I have a Mikuni vacuum pump on mine, and have for near 2 years now. It's not a kit, but likely the same pump.
I only use 1 outlet. The pump volume is the same with 1 outlet or 2, and far exceeds the 950 fuel needs in either case.
There is potential for fuel flow with engine off. I have not been able to stop that. I use the petcock to prevent hydrolock, and if I forget, push the bike backward in 6th to "unlock" it.

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
I like the idea of a vacuum pump as they almost never seem to fail.
Would mounting the pump high on the bike help the hydrolock problem.
These pumps seem to have some resistance to free flow.
Strange the needle and seats in the carb don't prevent a hyrolock. The fuel should run out the carb overflows before into the engine if the needle and seat aren't doing their job.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
jackr
2008 KTM 950 SE

Oddometer: 226
There seems to be something funny happening here. I have had Keihin carbs on all the different brands of bikes I have owned and have never shut the fuel off on any of them. Why are the KTM Keihins passing fuel?
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

I think this winter I'll fit a vacuum pump with the electric shut-off valve. Should be reliable as an axe and simple.

No one else has tried a fuel shut-off valve like the one above?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
jackr
2008 KTM 950 SE

Oddometer: 226
I would like to put a vacuum pump on my bike but I don't want to have to close petcocks all the time, especially those useless pain in the ass KTM petcocks. The Keihin carbs on the 950's are different then most bikes because the air travels vertically through them and the float bowls are on an angle. If we can find out why fuel is flowing through the carbs and hydro locking the motor maybe we can find a cure to the problem.
I can think of only 3 reasons why fuel will flow through the carbs:
1: The float valve is not sealing. I don't think this is the case as the bike would not run right with a faulty valve.
2: Because the bowls are on an angle I wonder if the fuel is able to flow through the jets and into the engine when the bike is shut off? When my bikes sits for a while the stock fuel pump runs for a while on start up. This could be an indication of the fuel flowing through the jets and emptying the float bowl. There is probably not enough fuel in the bowl to cause hydro lock as long as the bowls cannot refill.
3: The fuel tank is pressurizing and overcoming the float valve forcing fuel through the carb. I believe tanks pressurizing were a problem on Adventure models and some guys did a flapendectomy as shown in HOW to solve the problem. It would be nice if the hydro locking problem could be solved by just doing a flapendectomy. I'll have to check the cap on my SE and see if I can blow air through it.
Any thoughts?
jackr is offline   Reply With Quote