Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #76
halobum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I made a similar trip last summer. My favorite roads of the whole week turned out to be 141 and 149.
halobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #77
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by halobum View Post
I made a similar trip last summer. My favorite roads of the whole week turned out to be 141 and 149.
I am seriously looking forward to 141, but I won't be able to squeeze in a ride down 149. That will have to wait for next time.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #78
halobum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I dropped the Utah portion of my planned route when i got to Grand Junction and it was 100 degrees. I decided I could ride in those temps at home and headed back to the mountains. Ended up spending two nights in Ouray and getting to ride one day without being loaded down w/bags
halobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #79
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
On your way south on hwy 89 in AZ, in Cameron, there is a navajo trading post on your right immediately after you cross the little Colorado river gorge. Good food and every kind of native crap you can imagine for sale there!
Have fun and welcome to AZ in advance.

BTW, the highway passes in CO stay open all year round (except through rocky mountain NP).There still may be several feet of snow on the side of road though.
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #80
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro driver View Post
On your way south on hwy 89 in AZ, in Cameron, there is a navajo trading post on your right immediately after you cross the little Colorado river gorge. Good food and every kind of native crap you can imagine for sale there!
Have fun and welcome to AZ in advance.

BTW, the highway passes in CO stay open all year round (except through rocky mountain NP).There still may be several feet of snow on the side of road though.
If you're talking about the Cameron Trading Post and Hotel, I am planning to stay there overnight, so long as they have a vacancy. My parents stayed there a few years ago when they visited the Grand Canyon, and they were seriously impressed by how nice the rooms were, how good the restaurant was, and how professional the entire staff treated them. That's a high recommendation in my book!

Thanks for the info on the high passes... it's never too late in the season for a freak snowstorm to close the Million Dollar Highway, or so I've heard.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #81
XRangerRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I read somewhere (and I forget exactly where) that the road to the Goosenecks scenic viewpoint is paved.
Thanks -I had that impression too, but was not sure.
XRangerRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #82
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRangerRides View Post
Thanks -I had that impression too, but was not sure.
Now, since you're near Goosenecks, you'll probably want to ride Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods.

Moki Dugway is paved except for three miles or so of gravel, from what I understand.

Valley of the Gods is 17 miles, all gravel, except for some of the turns are paved.

Apparently these rides are DO NOT MISS rides. I'm planning on being there in a couple weeks, so I can give you a ride report on the road conditions.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #83
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
MY bike is loaded and sitting in the shop facing the door. When I went to check on a couple of things last night I could swear it's moved closer to the door. Two and a half days to go.
forxlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #84
XRangerRides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Now, since you're near Goosenecks, you'll probably want to ride Moki Dugway and Valley of the Gods.

Moki Dugway is paved except for three miles or so of gravel, from what I understand.

Valley of the Gods is 17 miles, all gravel, except for some of the turns are paved.

Apparently these rides are DO NOT MISS rides. I'm planning on being there in a couple weeks, so I can give you a ride report on the road conditions.
Moki Dugway, Natural Bridges, Monument Valley, etc...., all on the list and the list keeps getting longer. Cameron Trading Post is a great stop, I think we'll be staying at Goulding's by monument valley.
XRangerRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #85
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forxlr8n View Post
my bike is loaded and sitting in the shop facing the door. When i went to check on a couple of things last night i could swear it's moved closer to the door. Two and a half days to go.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #86
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Doing to much surfing and reading about the ride. This is causing me to be very unproductive at work this week. I personally think they should give me Thursday off too, simply because I've already left for my ride in spirit. If I could get the rest of the people to quit with the email and requests for CMM work I'd be good.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #87
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Doing to much surfing and reading about the ride. This is causing me to be very unproductive at work this week. I personally think they should give me Thursday off too, simply because I've already left for my ride in spirit. If I could get the rest of the people to quit with the email and requests for CMM work I'd be good.
If I called your boss with a great excuse for you to be absent on Thursday, do you think you could get away with it?

Anyway, all I do is scrutinize maps when I have downtime at work. I did get to ride for a couple hours for work today, which is a perk of the job sometimes.

I'm lucky... I have a pretty flexible work schedule, so if I needed to leave early I could. Last year, I had planned to leave Friday after work and make Wichita. But Hurricane Isaac forced me to move my departure date up to Thursday unless I wanted to ride through torrential rains, 50 mph winds, and some lightning and hail.

But I'm like you... mentally, I'm already gone.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #88
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Make the call. It's crazy already here today. I don't think he's going to let me go. I'm the only one here on daylight doing this job. I check all the parts for Volvo Trucks in North America here at the assembly plant in Dublin,Va.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #89
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Make the call. It's crazy already here today. I don't think he's going to let me go. I'm the only one here on daylight doing this job. I check all the parts for Volvo Trucks in North America here at the assembly plant in Dublin,Va.
Well, I was halfway through writing a funny response here about calling in a bomb threat to your workplace so you can take off on your vacation early, but then I realized that would not be funny, it would incredibly STUPID. I don't need the FBI and NSA and Homeland Security suddenly investigating me for telling a joke.

So... here's hoping for something benign to happen at your work, like a REALLY bad odor emanating from an unknown source, which causes the place to close down for, say, 48 hours or so.

Ride on!!!

Have a great trip!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #90
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Sending 3000 people home early.....yeah someone would come to see you.