User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,267
Excellent, sparky!

You mentioned some things I also like about my Bell helmets, that I neglected to mention. So, +1 on that! Especially how much nicer it is to change the shield on the Bell versus the Arai. Of course, with the Transitions shield, I don't have to ever change my shield anyway. Only remove it occasionally for a more thorough cleaning. And no Arai side plates to lose. Bonus!

I'm glad it worked out for you! Oh, and if you decide you want thinner (or thicker) cheek pads, you can order them and they are way cheaper than Arai cheek pads, too!
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Pretty sure I'll spring for the photo shield soon. Any special considerations on taking care of it?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #18
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymcgee View Post
Pretty sure I'll spring for the photo shield soon. Any special considerations on taking care of it?
Not really. Read the instructions that come with it. I just use dish soap or cleaner that is specifically for faceshields to clean mine.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,202
So, Sparky, how's your new Bell helmet holding up. Still fit as well as an Arai?
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Guess Sparky has burnt out.

Currently shopping to replace my old Profile with broken parts. The Bell RS1 fit very well, the Vortex not so much and the quality was evident with the RS1.
May go with either the RS1 or the Signet-Q.

As far a a cheaper replacement, the Vortex at $179. would be my choice but Arai has spoiled me. You definitely get what you pay for.

Well see. Here's a good link for helmet shopping;

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm
BONA-WHO ??
Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #21
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Man has the OP hit the nail on the head for me, too. Love Arai but the cost just seems to go up every time I need a new lid. Just bought an XD-4 and it's awesome, but is it really that much more awesome? The visor removal is atrocious. You need a screwdriver and three hands to change face shields. And while there's a pinlock insert for it, there is no pinlock visor, which means you have to drill your existing visor and install those little posts. Not a big deal, but still a deal. Plus, you can't easily use the pinlock insert as an interchangeable tinted lens because you'd have to remove the faceshield to get the insert out when it gets dark, and then it is so cumbersome to get the shield back on you're sort of defeating the purpose. (That much harder in the dark!) Somewhat deflated by Arai. Great quality, little innovation, escalating prices.

With that tirade in mind, is there an XD-4 style adventure/dual-sport helmet out there besides the XD-4 that'll fit my Profile-shaped head? And what size Bell would correspond to my Medium Profile? I'm guessing a Medium.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
Man has the OP hit the nail on the head for me, too. Love Arai but the cost just seems to go up every time I need a new lid. Just bought an XD-4 and it's awesome, but is it really that much more awesome? The visor removal is atrocious. You need a screwdriver and three hands to change face shields. And while there's a pinlock insert for it, there is no pinlock visor, which means you have to drill your existing visor and install those little posts. Not a big deal, but still a deal. Plus, you can't easily use the pinlock insert as an interchangeable tinted lens because you'd have to remove the faceshield to get the insert out when it gets dark, and then it is so cumbersome to get the shield back on you're sort of defeating the purpose. (That much harder in the dark!) Somewhat deflated by Arai. Great quality, little innovation, escalating prices.

With that tirade in mind, is there an XD-4 style adventure/dual-sport helmet out there besides the XD-4 that'll fit my Profile-shaped head? And what size Bell would correspond to my Medium Profile? I'm guessing a Medium.

That webbikeworld link I posted should be helpful.
BONA-WHO ??